Took a buddy for a ride (Perfect Explanation of Cobra)

jblood37

Established Member
First off, I have tons of friends that are in to cars and they are always begging for rides in my car. I usually oblige them and they walk away impressed and are very complementary. Well, this guy had never been in anything that was really that quick so it was a bit different. The fastest car he owned was a bone stock 06 Corvette and he thought it was very fast. Anyhow, we are riding around looking for a place to do a quick blast, 40-~120, and I can tell he's pretty nervous. He keeps telling me we don't have to go to 100, and I assure him that we will be going to at least 100 haha. Well, we find a good location and I stomp it in 2nd at 45 or so, it spins for a bit, then hooks, and we make it up to 120 or so. I'm thinking to myself the car ran pretty good to be 80 degrees outside. Then I look over at him and he's dying out laughing like a kid on a carnival ride or something. He looks over and tells me it was like being at an amusement park on a badass rollercoaster. We talked a little bit and he went back to his office when we got back to work. 4 hours later he walked in my office and said he was still shaken up from the ride and he can't settle down and get comfortable lol. Then he's like, "Man I don't know any other way to describe your car other than violent". I said, "I've never heard it put a better way bud". I know I've heard the term violent thrown around with these cars a lot, but I've never really thought about it when I lay on the skinny pedal. I just thought that was a great explanation from someone who has no prior experience with our cars. Sorry for the longwinded story everyone lol. I know my car isn't the fastest thing around, but it sure is fun to drive.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
No need to apologize....that's a good one! Lol

I have similar stories to that regarding the roller coaster comment

Zemedici

Established Member
My girl wont drive my car, says it scares her

Her daily ride is a 700whp 2015 GT Performance Pack.

hahahahahaha enough said.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Great story. I have a good friend that was dying to go for a ride. Now Dave's a big burly mans man. Same deal, hit the ramp on I-75 and laid into her in second up to about 125ish as well. This SOB was screaming like a girl, and I think the prints are still on the dash from him holding on.

cj428mach

Established Member
I got my mom once pretty good, it was a nice warm 80 degree day and I just had the brand new MT drag radials on. I hammered it in 2nd at about 3000rpms and it was one of the rare times there was no spinning, she screamed the whole way down the on ramp lol.

My wife has ridden in the car enough she isn't impressed anymore unless its a nice cool day.

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
The first time I took my brother for a ride he was like this. He still Brings it up when we get together lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Eatonualive281

Established Member
Great story OP! Its a great term to use for these cars. Last person in my car described it like time slowed down and we kept going faster through it lol. Pretty funny if you ask me, because it just feels normal now!

01yellercobra

Established Member
Wasn't with this car, but I gave a couple family members a ride in my 01 when I first had the BB/S with the D1. Now most of my family on that side isn't into cars. So they were surprised when I said I did all the work. Anyway, I took one cousin out for a ride and hit it on an on ramp. When we came back he was just shaking his head and said it pulled harder than his motorcycle. I don't remember what he was riding at the time. But it scared off most of the rest of the family.

I had another cousin there and she was complaining that I haven't given her a ride. I said get in. My mom jumped in because she knew what the car could do and wanted to see my cousin's reaction. So I'm getting on the freeway and my cousin is just babbling away about something. I punched it and she started screaming mid-sentence. My mom was laughing histarically. We got back and my cousin punched my arm for not warning her.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I got my mom once pretty good, it was a nice warm 80 degree day and I just had the brand new MT drag radials on. I hammered it in 2nd at about 3000rpms and it was one of the rare times there was no spinning, she screamed the whole way down the on ramp lol.

My wife has ridden in the car enough she isn't impressed anymore unless its a nice cool day.
My wife is the same way. Now my old 91 fox had a 408 stoker only making 400rwhp, and that scared the crap out of her. She got out saying she'll never ride in it again. I think part of it was it was sketchy with skinnies up front and it would sway back and forth. The cobra handles well at high speeds.

MG0h3

Established Member
My wife is the same way. Now my old 91 fox had a 408 stoker only making 400rwhp, and that scared the crap out of her. She got out saying she'll never ride in it again. I think part of it was it was sketchy with skinnies up front and it would sway back and forth. The cobra handles well at high speeds.

Hahah. Ive got a 73CJ5 with a 408W that might be a hair higher than that.

Took my big burly Army neighbor out and he didnt like spinning in 2nd on 33" mud terrains. Just kept saying "ok ok ok ok".

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Hahah. Ive got a 73CJ5 with a 408W that might be a hair higher than that.

Took my big burly Army neighbor out and he didnt like spinning in 2nd on 33" mud terrains. Just kept saying "ok ok ok ok".
I did that crap with my old 78 f150 with a built to the hills 351m on 44 mudders. Broke the rear once due to wheel hope. Can you say locker? Never happened again.

MG0h3

Established Member
I did that crap with my old 78 f150 with a built to the hills 351m on 44 mudders. Broke the rear once due to wheel hope. Can you say locker? Never happened again.
hahah yep. Ive got a built 9" in back and dana up front both locked. What a waste of money that thing is though. Ive got 500 miles on it since building everything. Its cool as hell and people follow me to ask questions about it but the cobra is more fun. Havent started it in a year.......

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
hahah yep. Ive got a built 9" in back and dana up front both locked. What a waste of money that thing is though. Ive got 500 miles on it since building everything. Its cool as hell and people follow me to ask questions about it but the cobra is more fun. Havent started it in a year.......
Really, the locker was great, except in the rain on curves. It wouldn't unlock and had to be real careful not to turn the truck around.

MG0h3

Established Member
ya they arent pleasant. With a CJ5 and the short wheelbase, in the gas station lot or somewhere thats tight is just drags one tire.

Doesnt work in the snow either.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Awesome story op, hahaha, violent is a great word.

I got to a buddy's house last weekend, and one of his friends is there. Guy is an honest liberal, all that jazz, whatever. Nice guy, science aficionado etc. So he sees me pull up (he drives a Honda Civic) "hey man, Saudi Arabia called and said thanks for all the barrels Hahahahha"

I'm like "hey, this thing only eats American barrels up bro. Screw the east."

Anyways, he starts saying it actually looks bad ass and all but it can't be that fast as everyone is saying. He was just driving his dad's friends 911 997 turbo for a week and knows quick cars bla bla bla ftard logic.

So I tell him just hop in, see for himself. He comments on how the suspension pops and squeaks, bla bla. I just keep driving towards an onramp 3 blocks away. "Ya it's cool... Too crude... So loud... Feels old school... I get the the on ramp and clutch kick it to 6500rpms and go wot in 2nd around 45. We're going 90 like midway up the ramp. Click 3rd, get up to 115, grab 4th, doing about 140 at the top of the ramp, I stay in it to 155 just a bit into the freeway. It's 11pm, no cars around, I let off and coast down, lightly brake.

I'm holding back from telling him to shut the hell up because since about 50mph he's been laughing his ass off like a baby.

"Whaaaaaaaaaaat?!!!!!!! Hahahhahaha hahahahahah"

"What the hell is in this thing?!!'n hahahhahaha ha"

Finally I'm like "dude chill the f*ck out man, you're a grown ass 28 year old for hells sake..."

We get back to the house party and he's just going on and on to everyone about how insane my car is, and everyone's like "dude, we know this guy for 10 years man, he's always had an insane cobra build dude"

Was fun to surprise/ scare the shit outta someone haha.

Users who are viewing this thread