To turbo or not to turbo?

fatal01SVT

Established Member
Well, I'm at the point that every cobra owner comes to at sometime during their mission for horsepower. I'm getting rid of the Heaton this summer and can't decide what to go to, bigger blower or turbo.

My questions to you turbo folks: why is it that everyone seems to go turbo eventually? And why did you personally do it? I'm looking for input to help make an educated decision.

Also, how do these cars sound with a turbo? And how loud can they be? It's hard to imagine a cobra with no 4v "growl"

Mystic03

Established Member
several topics like this...do a search...most go turbo for more power obviously but it requires a lot of money..time and most of all patience (if youre doin it yourself) i went turbo since ive always wanted too along with a fully built motor

MG0h3

Established Member
Turbo cars are going to take more time to put together and more work to keep running. Just more stuff to go wrong. Thats been my experience anyways.

Cant beat the torque though. I ran 8psi on a heads and intake only 90 5.0 and the torque was only a little lower than what Im seeing on 15psi in the Cobra.

I think I would lose it if I had to reseal a header on the 4.6

s351

Established Member
I just went from a ported eaton to a built motor hellion sinlge. If you have the bank account go turbo, big blowers are great for one or 2 hits then they start pulling timing. Second big blowers on the street are good at blowing the tires off which is fun, but the turbo is much more usable, i'm right around 800 and its a blast.

But its up to ur driving style blower is more for quick jabs around town as it always has that instant torque. Since i've gone turbo i'll never go back. If i want to spin tires i put it is second and let it eat. Turbo is more for hwy pulls, or just drop a gear and spool, blower is for around town tough guys that make 650 for one pull and then need 45 min to cool off lol. Just a friendly jab

Blower is way easier and cheaper. Turbo is expensive and time consuming to get right.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
While a blower car is very fun, and decidedly easier, and pretty consistent (apart from belt related issues and cooling) to me there isn't anything as fun as a well sorted turbo car. My opinion is go turbo, sort it well, and enjoy. Just anticipate a lot of expenses if you try to dial in a turbo car as well as months of time.

Kits are good, but even kits have plenty of room to be improved upon. Slowly customizing a kit a workable option, starting from the hotside and moving up and through the cold side

Good luck either way

Last edited:

fatal01SVT

Established Member
Anyone here have experience with the on3 FF kit? My plan for the turbo route was, on3 piping, upr k, better turbo probably a 76mm, and lethal budget return, with big injectors. I've been following a build thread on here for the kit and it seems to be going pretty well for him.

Last edited:

spray'n mach 1

Established Member
I just went down this road last year, a very nice turbo kit will cost about double of a blower swap. then I thought about what I would use the car for and that's riding around going to cruise in's, car shows etc. with the occasional wot runs. my power goals was around 700 rwhp. so for 3000.00 I can meet these goals pretty easily and not change a ton of stuff under the hood. if you want 900 or 1000 hp then turbos are the way to go, but for a street car 1000hp is a handful. good luck

1Fast-Turbo-Cou

Established Member
I've had a lot of different combinations over the years and my votes always going to be turbo. They are more complex, challenging, and expensive but when done properly the end result is hard to beat!

1Fast-Turbo-Cou

Established Member
Here's some inspiration, it's only time and $$$. Hopefully I'll have it completed this weekend. I built everything myself from scratch, took about 7 months of nights and weekends.

EAD8BE0A-E0D9-41D5-B16C-B17A417D04F8_zpsfsniwlrl.jpg

A0607FFB-7863-4AF4-9269-F1F566CE6A0B_zpspokpyai2.jpg

A48158EE-6601-4E97-BC52-B2138F23E9A6_zpsbvwja8ig.jpg

Here's the sound you asked about.

http://youtu.be/3lA1KcsGSeM

http://youtu.be/dTZXKDxA-0A

http://youtu.be/Q_gRDnLJ7kw

SteedaX47

Established Member
Dear lord man!!! I stumbled across your car today and uh... yeah lol.

My last mustang was turbod and I miss the sound and feel of how the power comes on. I'm sure I'll miss the low end but every time it spools I know I'll be so happy and it'll be all worth it...

1Fast-Turbo-Cou

Established Member
Dear lord man!!! I stumbled across your car today and uh... yeah lol.

My last mustang was turbod and I miss the sound and feel of how the power comes on. I'm sure I'll miss the low end but every time it spools I know I'll be so happy and it'll be all worth it...

Thanks man! Don't go super huge on the turbo(s) if you want the boost to come on fast. A lot of people make the mistake of going to big. :)

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Thanks man! Don't go super huge on the turbo(s) if you want the boost to come on fast. A lot of people make the mistake of going to big. :)

That's nuts. I don't think I've ever seen a dual intake like that. Are you running a bigger turbo on one side? I swear it looks like it Passenger side looks to be bigger.

My opinion is turbo cars are the way to go if you have the $$ to do it right AND are going to go Auto.

1Fast-Turbo-Cou

Established Member
That's nuts. I don't think I've ever seen a dual intake like that. Are you running a bigger turbo on one side? I swear it looks like it Passenger side looks to be bigger.

My opinion is turbo cars are the way to go if you have the $$ to do it right AND are going to go Auto.

It is pretty unique and awesome but I can't take all the credit for it. I actually got the idea from Ford. They did a twin throttle body setup on the FR500 back in 2000 but it was an N/A car.

Both turbos are the same size but there isn't a right and left (mirror image), so one is flipped, and one is also slightly higher which is probably adding to the illusion.

Here's the FR500.

D1E9DB7F-32A3-4C59-BCEF-87F6BE2A30EB_zpsi4d0okia.jpg

BC180901-573E-4A66-B176-C8883C3A5D82_zpsld3yyfxv.jpg

9FDF1D55-D534-4E51-B21D-D3502F4B5051_zps3klnkj6v.jpg

09B054FA-6AAF-4076-AB06-22F4A8E183D1_zpsjtsc5awy.jpg

E4F95744-7D01-479F-B156-BA2A8E7BBC32_zpstfo8prcv.jpg

Couple pics I took of mine yesterday.

B922BE7B-EF1A-40E6-AE1C-A0E9C5EBBA5F_zpswoaturde.jpg

2CC50BEA-F684-4B29-A8AA-E90EF3556D22_zps6d91nyuv.jpg

C3D4A907-F920-4F85-88DC-293B090C0C8F_zpsippmci71.jpg

07DBFD4B-F3DA-4C44-8887-730C29CDF05B_zpsoccyf0oa.jpg

Last edited:

SteedaX47

Established Member

I was planning on going on3 ff kit and going through it to make sure everything's good. Then using a different bov, wg, and turbo. The turbo is a 76gts. Was also gonna do a 2.25" crossover to help with spool. It's gonna stay manual though.

That's crazy. I remember going nuts over that car and intake when I first saw it. Still man... good work!

Hmbre97

Eaton powered
Established Member
I'm happy with my On3 kit. Only thing I had to modify was I had to notch a chunk out of the ABS bracket to clear one of the wastegates.

Mach828

Established Member
How did it go tuning it with the dual TB setup? Does it have dual blow through MAFs? How are they wired?

Awesome setup, you did a heck of a job fabbing it. I'm sure it draws a ton of attention with the hood up.

1Fast-Turbo-Cou

Established Member
How did it go tuning it with the dual TB setup? Does it have dual blow through MAFs? How are they wired?

Awesome setup, you did a heck of a job fabbing it. I'm sure it draws a ton of attention with the hood up.

It only took me about 2-3 hours of driving around to dial in the street tune. I'm running a MoTeC standalone ECU so no mass air sensors to deal with. I'm really loving it.

Users who are viewing this thread