To tune myself or seek a tuner?

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Just curious, but why?

It's a lot of time to invest if you want to learn to do it properly. If you can start out with solid foundation it won't be as difficult. I was not happy when I found out that SCT withholds features from the Pro Racer Pack. I had to listen to "well, if you pay for X classes then we can unlock Y features." I don't remember the specifics of what they were at this point. I felt a bit suckered.

I didn't keep my car long enough to feel like I accomplished anything, now everything sits in a box in my basement.

Dilley

Established Member
It's a lot of time to invest if you want to learn to do it properly. If you can start out with solid foundation it won't be as difficult. I was not happy when I found out that SCT withholds features from the Pro Racer Pack. I had to listen to "well, if you pay for X classes then we can unlock Y features." I don't remember the specifics of what they were at this point. I felt a bit suckered.

I didn't keep my car long enough to feel like I accomplished anything, now everything sits in a box in my basement.

Interested in selling? If that's possible?

coketo

Silver Snake!!!
Established Member
So what exactly do we need if we want to tune our cars ourselve?

amoosenamedhank

Established Member
DO IT YOURSELF!

Its so ****ing gratifying to learn how to tune and see results, and learn why and how everything works.

Its amazing to see the disconnect in the domestic world when it comes to tuning versus your buddy in the import world where its more "DIY" based.

Its disappointing the lack of self-tuning apparatus/programs/interfaces when it comes to domestics. Id say someone should design/code a nice chip and cable interface with a program that lets you log and tune all in one package, but the demand is so low when it comes to domestics. Most are too scared or just lack the motivation to want to learn.

How awesome would it be to have a Cobb AP available for this type of platform.

It amazes me how many people are terrified of poking around at their own tunes. I've spent a lot of time in the Mazdaspeed world, where Cobb Tuning owns the tuning market. Every purchase of a Cobb AP(a tune flash device which includes a data logger and live time perimeter display) comes with their ATR full tuning software.

This market is dominated by online tuners. Basically a bunch of normal forum members who took extra interest in tuning. After time, they started offering their services to other forum members.

It's a fairly simply process. You provide your current setup, and they send you a base (canned tune). You run a few logs in different conditions and they progressively work with you to absolutely nail the tune to your exact setup, in your exact location.

Those interested in pushing the limit and finding MBT, can work remote on the dyno with these tuners... but 90% of the time, these are just road based tunes which focus largely on how the car drives every day.

Dialing in your WOT runs is pretty simple, taming a 700hp car to drive comfortably to the grocery store is where it's really at.

I know there are domestic tuners currently offer remote tunes... but most people immediately dismiss them for the 'king dyno tune'.

Last edited:

need4snake

Banned
What can you do with a .cef file that a tuner emails to you? (besides load the file in your car with an X3)

If you have the PRP package can it be edited?

Can another SCT professional tuner open and edit the file?

Kevin @ Wicked

Established Member
So how can I pull the raw binary image off the cars computer?

now your talking about stuff that can get you in trouble and if you have the ability, are using tools that are not commercially avail. :nono:

I think if you purchased a PRP, SCT might be able to do something for you if your looking to work with the calibration in the car currently.

draxxus131

Established Member
Sniper software will help you look at all the computing going on whether it's a stock tune or someone else's tune that is encrypted. This software is not cheap, but it does everything you would ever want.

I personally do not own this software, but after talking with many forum members about it and reading the full information, WOWWWWW. That is all I have to say.

BTW turning off the car to tune it should not be an issue. If you can turn a computer on/off just like you would after updating anything or deleting any firm/software sensitive material, this should not be a pet peeve of tuning for anyone, SERIOUSLY!

Dilley

Established Member
Sniper software will help you look at all the computing going on whether it's a stock tune or someone else's tune that is encrypted. This software is not cheap, but it does everything you would ever want.

I personally do not own this software, but after talking with many forum members about it and reading the full information, WOWWWWW. That is all I have to say.

BTW turning off the car to tune it should not be an issue. If you can turn a computer on/off just like you would after updating anything or deleting any firm/software sensitive material, this should not be a pet peeve of tuning for anyone, SERIOUSLY!

I've heard that the commando/sniper software doesn't have the greatest support from the company or others

HandBanana

Established Member
First off, I do tunes all the time at remote locations with no internet and load tunes to X3's etc. I doubt they go to SCT. The issue that is getting muddied is in the user agreement for dealers and Pro Racers. SCT makes you agree and sign that they own the products of their tuning. They don't actually want them. They did this mainly because a couple dirt bags were illegally grabbing the work of good tuners and then selling them as their own when they were not even dealers. SCT did this so they would have legal grounds to protect the dealers from this crap.

I use both BE/Moates and SCT. For earlier vehicles (OBD1) NOTHING beats BE/Moates. For later vehicles, my opinion is SCT is the better choice. And I use each a lot. BE/Moates will work well for later vehicles if you get decent strategies and that means paying for them. Live updating/tuning is not all it is cracked upto be. It is helpful for idle at times. But even with BE/Moates, I usually shut the car off anyway when updating the tune.

No matter what option you choose, for sure tune it yourself. Every single single tuner out there, all the best shops and legendary tuners started with one car back when they were pretty clueless. No one is born with innate tuning knowledge. Most shops, and I see a lot of different shops, the guys doing the tuning are average intelligence. The successful ones, take their time and just use good common sense. Unless you do something really dumb, you probably won't trash your motor. Once you start tuning, you'll see how empowering it is - you will no longer have to pay for tuning because once you have the knowledge, you cannot have it taken away. The advantage you will have over dyno shops, is, rather than have a shop spend 2-6 hours dynotuning it, you can fiddle away for 3 weeks if you want, getting things exactly correct. You won't have to make phone calls or email and wait for a response. It can be intimidating at first, when you see what looks like a million parameters to adjust, but you soon will realize that you will only have to touch a few of them, especially if you get a base tune with whatever package you decide to get.

Hope this helps,

Don LaSota

Hey Don, thanks for the info. What do you charge for a remote tune? What about an email tune? Thank you.

Don 95Vert

Established Member
Thanks. I am not a sponsor here, and don't want to get booted for posting. So PM or email...
Don

2002BLGT

Established Member
You can just put the PRP tune in another slot on the X3/handheld and use the rest. The newer X3 hold 10 tunes.

The software looks scary until you start using it. Then it's all natural. In my experience training new tuners, the guys with PC backgrounds seem to pick it up quicker.

Don

Nothing but good information from Don as always , cheers , OP listen to this man , I like Don use every software available and he is dead on with everything he posted above

Bill@HPTuners

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
depends on the kind of person you are really, I've always gotten alot of satisfaction out of wrenching on my own cars so buying the software to do it myself was really a no brainer. I think the main thing is investing the time, the monetary part of it isn't that bad all things considered but finding the time to understand the engine controls is the biggest thing. Thankfully there is a ton of information out there, not to mention step by step tuning guides.

-Bill

Users who are viewing this thread