To tune myself or seek a tuner?

Dilley

Established Member
Now before we start I understand the opinions in here well be biased. Now for some back info, I previously lived in NJ and the car was tuned by Kevin Hand through an sct livewire. The car runs flawlessly, but now I live 700 miles away in Indy. I am ready to add a 4# lower and e85 to my ported Eaton BF 2.76 accufab 80s setup. I really do not want to shell out money every time I change something. My buddy has a 600+whp Integra all built and tuned himself (vids if anyone wants to see) who willing help me tune it myself. He has shown me how easy it is to tune for driveability with a tune on the fly style software, so that's something to consider. So what's your thoughts? Sct prp? Moates quarterhorse? Just sack up and pay someone?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I've been using PRP for a few years. I'm happy with it. Like anything else it can be a bit of a pain at times, but I've saved a lot of money with all the changes I've made to the car.

Dilley

Established Member
I've been using PRP for a few years. I'm happy with it. Like anything else it can be a bit of a pain at times, but I've saved a lot of money with all the changes I've made to the car.

The main concern I have with that is the lack of tune in the fly ability.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I do wish I had that ability. But I guess I'm used to doing the datalogs and tweaking the tune later on.

Kevin @ Wicked

Established Member
That's why I think if anything if go moates quarterhorse

Now before we start I understand the opinions in here well be biased. Now for some back info, I previously lived in NJ and the car was tuned by Kevin Hand through an sct livewire. The car runs flawlessly, but now I live 700 miles away in Indy. I am ready to add a 4# lower and e85 to my ported Eaton BF 2.76 accufab 80s setup. I really do not want to shell out money every time I change something. My buddy has a 600+whp Integra all built and tuned himself (vids if anyone wants to see) who willing help me tune it myself. He has shown me how easy it is to tune for driveability with a tune on the fly style software, so that's something to consider. So what's your thoughts? Sct prp? Moates quarterhorse? Just sack up and pay someone?

I can set you up with someone in Indy that I would trust to get ya squared away.

Lonnie @ Blue Oval Chips.

Or you could always fly me out...shit i was just there for PRI!

If you had everything we needed I could also poss do remote....

Dilley

Established Member
I can set you up with someone in Indy that I would trust to get ya squared away.

Lonnie @ Blue Oval Chips.

Or you could always fly me out...shit i was just there for PRI!

If you had everything we needed I could also poss do remote....

Thanks Kevin just sent you a PM

DetroitSVT

Established Member
If you don't want to take the time to learn how to tune, or spend the money on tuning software, wideband O2, etc. I would have Kevin do a remote tune. You said he did a great job tuning your car already and despite the controversy remote tunes they work. Check out the article in the February issue of MM&FF, page 72.

Dilley

Established Member
If you don't want to take the time to learn how to tune, or spend the money on tuning software, wideband O2, etc. I would have Kevin do a remote tune. You said he did a great job tuning your car already and despite the controversy remote tunes they work. Check out the article in the February issue of MM&FF, page 72.

I get what you're saying, it just seems annoying to have to have it tuned every time I add something. Where as if I do it myself it would be me and my buddy go out and drive.

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
I would learn to do it yourself. It isn't that bad and no one cares about your car more than you. Some great tuners out there and a whole bunch of tooners. I am on my 3rd motor because of tooners. Motor is great with my tune. And says something about doing it yourself.

Dilley

Established Member
I would learn to do it yourself. It isn't that bad and no one cares about your car more than you. Some great tuners out there and a whole bunch of tooners. I am on my 3rd motor because of tooners. Motor is great with my tune. And says something about doing it yourself.

What software do you use?

Dilley

Established Member
No not really. Sometimes it can be annoying but it works and works well. DVD and book from him are a must.

I definitely want to hear from someone that uses the quarterhorse but it's still in consideration

boost4me

Banned
I'm debating this also. I've just about had it with tuners, they just don't put the time in that is necessary to get the job done right.

I have my custom tune file in my programmer, but I need to get it from tuner. If for some reason I can't get it from him, can I get it from SCT? I know that all files they make get sent to SCT.

Dilley

Established Member
I'm debating this also. I've just about had it with tuners, they just don't put the time in that is necessary to get the job done right.

I have my custom tune file in my programmer, but I need to get it from tuner. If for some reason I can't get it from him, can I get it from SCT? I know that all files they make get sent to SCT.

Do you mean you want to download the tune from your xcal?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member

Who told you all tunes get sent to SCT? They're not required to send anything to SCT. Otherwise I'm sure I would have had to send my tunes to SCT.

Unless your tuner really likes you I doubt he's going to send you a copy. They're usually pretty secretive about that stuff. They put a lot of time in and don't want to just hand it off to someone.

boost4me

Banned
Whenever you upload a tune file to a device, SCT gets a copy... it all happens in the background. You need your dongle and you have to be connected to the internet for the software to even work.

Do you mean you want to download the tune from your xcal?

Yes, I already found out it isn't possible.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread