To tune myself or seek a tuner?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Whenever you upload a tune file to a device, SCT gets a copy... it all happens in the background. You need your dongle and you have to be connected to the internet for the software to even work.

Yes, I already found out it isn't possible.

You need to be connected for it to update. You don't need to be connected just to use it. But you do need the dongle. I've made changes with no internet connection.

Don 95Vert

Established Member
First off, I do tunes all the time at remote locations with no internet and load tunes to X3's etc. I doubt they go to SCT. The issue that is getting muddied is in the user agreement for dealers and Pro Racers. SCT makes you agree and sign that they own the products of their tuning. They don't actually want them. They did this mainly because a couple dirt bags were illegally grabbing the work of good tuners and then selling them as their own when they were not even dealers. SCT did this so they would have legal grounds to protect the dealers from this crap.

I use both BE/Moates and SCT. For earlier vehicles (OBD1) NOTHING beats BE/Moates. For later vehicles, my opinion is SCT is the better choice. And I use each a lot. BE/Moates will work well for later vehicles if you get decent strategies and that means paying for them. Live updating/tuning is not all it is cracked upto be. It is helpful for idle at times. But even with BE/Moates, I usually shut the car off anyway when updating the tune.

No matter what option you choose, for sure tune it yourself. Every single single tuner out there, all the best shops and legendary tuners started with one car back when they were pretty clueless. No one is born with innate tuning knowledge. Most shops, and I see a lot of different shops, the guys doing the tuning are average intelligence. The successful ones, take their time and just use good common sense. Unless you do something really dumb, you probably won't trash your motor. Once you start tuning, you'll see how empowering it is - you will no longer have to pay for tuning because once you have the knowledge, you cannot have it taken away. The advantage you will have over dyno shops, is, rather than have a shop spend 2-6 hours dynotuning it, you can fiddle away for 3 weeks if you want, getting things exactly correct. You won't have to make phone calls or email and wait for a response. It can be intimidating at first, when you see what looks like a million parameters to adjust, but you soon will realize that you will only have to touch a few of them, especially if you get a base tune with whatever package you decide to get.

Hope this helps,

Don LaSota

Dilley

Established Member
First off, I do tunes all the time at remote locations with no internet and load tunes to X3's etc. I doubt they go to SCT. The issue that is getting muddied is in the user agreement for dealers and Pro Racers. SCT makes you agree and sign that they own the products of their tuning. They don't actually want them. They did this mainly because a couple dirt bags were illegally grabbing the work of good tuners and then selling them as their own when they were not even dealers. SCT did this so they would have legal grounds to protect the dealers from this crap.

I use both BE/Moates and SCT. For earlier vehicles (OBD1) NOTHING beats BE/Moates. For later vehicles, my opinion is SCT is the better choice. And I use each a lot. BE/Moates will work well for later vehicles if you get decent strategies and that means paying for them. Live updating/tuning is not all it is cracked upto be. It is helpful for idle at times. But even with BE/Moates, I usually shut the car off anyway when updating the tune.

No matter what option you choose, for sure tune it yourself. Every single single tuner out there, all the best shops and legendary tuners started with one car back when they were pretty clueless. No one is born with innate tuning knowledge. Most shops, and I see a lot of different shops, the guys doing the tuning are average intelligence. The successful ones, take their time and just use good common sense. Unless you do something really dumb, you probably won't trash your motor. Once you start tuning, you'll see how empowering it is - you will no longer have to pay for tuning because once you have the knowledge, you cannot have it taken away. The advantage you will have over dyno shops, is, rather than have a shop spend 2-6 hours dynotuning it, you can fiddle away for 3 weeks if you want, getting things exactly correct. You won't have to make phone calls or email and wait for a response. It can be intimidating at first, when you see what looks like a million parameters to adjust, but you soon will realize that you will only have to touch a few of them, especially if you get a base tune with whatever package you decide to get.

Hope this helps,

Don LaSota

This is exactly what I was hoping someone would post. Thanks Don, I really appreciate the help. One other question, if I currently have a tune on my car then I get the PRP can I switch back to the current tune?

boost4me

Banned
This is exactly what I was hoping someone would post. Thanks Don, I really appreciate the help. One other question, if I currently have a tune on my car then I get the PRP can I switch back to the current tune?

+ 1 I'm sold!

I'm a actually a pretty heavy computer guy and engineer and I was pretty intimidated when my tuner showed me the SCT software the first time. But I was hoping this was the case.

My thing is... my WOT's where things are super critical are fine... its all the fine tuning drivability stuff that drives me nuts and tuners don't want to take the time to work it out.

Don 95Vert

Established Member
You can just put the PRP tune in another slot on the X3/handheld and use the rest. The newer X3 hold 10 tunes.

The software looks scary until you start using it. Then it's all natural. In my experience training new tuners, the guys with PC backgrounds seem to pick it up quicker.

Don

Kevin @ Wicked

Established Member
I would learn to do it yourself. It isn't that bad and no one cares about your car more than you. Some great tuners out there and a whole bunch of tooners. I am on my 3rd motor because of tooners. Motor is great with my tune. And says something about doing it yourself.

I beg to differ on those statements. Ive built my business around the fact I tend to care more about cars than their owners...but I agree theres alot of fly by night types popping up.

The key is to understand that "tooning" better yet calibration work isnt just a few keystrokes and numbers....its about having a good understanding on how a engine runs and its requirements. Half my calibration work is making cars that generally wouldn't run right or needed mechanical changes in order to continue calibration work. WOT tuning is cake compared to what it really takes to complete a full calibration.

That just doesnt come from buying software and starting out day 1.

Kevin @ Wicked

Established Member
I definitely want to hear from someone that uses the quarterhorse but it's still in consideration

I use the quaterhorse also with BE for calibration work. Id say its a mix of both when I am on the dyno. Quaterhorse I use for 89-95 cars mostly, and regular flash devices for the rest, unless i need the ability to tune on the fly (works well for idle/cam/issues) and see logs update instantly on your work.

Kevin @ Wicked

Established Member
Whenever you upload a tune file to a device, SCT gets a copy... it all happens in the background. You need your dongle and you have to be connected to the internet for the software to even work.

Yes, I already found out it isn't possible.

No you don't. The dongle only needs to be online for updates to the software and for "reflash counter" updates.

SCT doesn't get any of dealers proprietary work. If they did, and or were caught (plenty of savy cpu people check background outgoing) we wouldn't be using their software anymore.

Its not like files from my work is going to run well or the same in a like combination. I can have 2 cars, same combo, still have vastly different calibrations due to alot of factors. Reason why i don't email tune. Bolt on NA combos....different story.

boost4me

Banned
I beg to differ on those statements. Ive built my business around the fact I tend to care more about cars than their owners...but I agree theres alot of fly by night types popping up.

The key is to understand that "tooning" better yet calibration work isnt just a few keystrokes and numbers....its about having a good understanding on how a engine runs and its requirements. Half my calibration work is making cars that generally wouldn't run right or needed mechanical changes in order to continue calibration work. WOT tuning is cake compared to what it really takes to complete a full calibration.

That just doesnt come from buying software and starting out day 1.

Can you help me diagnose my tip in delayed throttle response?

Kevin @ Wicked

Established Member
Can you help me diagnose my tip in delayed throttle response?

Im sure if i can get good data, and have a good set of eyes on the otherside of the phone/cpu etc i can get ya on the right track. You havent had any good success down in FL? I have my sister down there and visit at times, but she is south florida.

If I helped remotely, there would be a few things needed to ensure your getting your moneys worth, and for me to facilitate my job correctly.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
I went down this road and bought all the SCT stuff to tune my old Terminator with. In the end I felt like it was a waste of time and I regret spending the money.

boost4me

Banned
Im sure if i can get good data, and have a good set of eyes on the otherside of the phone/cpu etc i can get ya on the right track. You havent had any good success down in FL? I have my sister down there and visit at times, but she is south florida.

If I helped remotely, there would be a few things needed to ensure your getting your moneys worth, and for me to facilitate my job correctly.

There are a lot of tuners down here, but most if not all them are only concerned with WOT tuning for the track (they work on a lot of tubbed out track cars) and just don't want to take the time to diagnose drivability issues on the street, they would rather get the next big job in the shop that is going to put dinner on the table. Which I can understand, they are surviving. Not to mention the fact that there is a lot of competition down here from less than reputable people. I want my car to drive like a stock car. I know its extremely modified, but I know with time you can fix tip in and starting issues.

So I have an SCT X3, I'm waiting for my guy to send me the tune file and get the software. I have an AFX wideband installed and I also have the firewire cable rigged up for analog input into the X3. I can datalog anything that you need. I've already datalogged my tip in condition. The files are located on my server.

This one is probably the best one....

http://the-strattons.com/snake/datalog/datalog2.csv

I have this one also...

http://the-strattons.com/snake/datalog/datalog1.csv

Kevin @ Wicked

Established Member
There are a lot of tuners down here, but most if not all them are only concerned with WOT tuning for the track (they work on a lot of tubbed out track cars) and just don't want to take the time to diagnose drivability issues on the street, they would rather get the next big job in the shop that is going to put dinner on the table. Which I can understand, they are surviving. Not to mention the fact that there is a lot of competition down here from less than reputable people. I want my car to drive like a stock car. I know its extremely modified, but I know with time you can fix tip in and starting issues.

So I have an SCT X3, I'm waiting for my guy to send me the tune file and get the software. I have an AFX wideband installed and I also have the firewire cable rigged up for analog input into the X3. I can datalog anything that you need. I've already datalogged my tip in condition. The files are located on my server.

I have this one also...

Ill take a peek. Also hit me up at my email [email protected], so we don't muddy the water up about who's work is in the car now etc.

Kevin @ Wicked

Established Member

I have this one also...

Looked at the logs, i see a few parameters missing that I usually look at when logging. But a quick observation i see what your describing, but without seeing whats actually in the "tune" I wouldnt' know where to start just yet. But i can tell you this, I already know where I would like to look....

boost4me

Banned
Looked at the logs, i see a few parameters missing that I usually look at when logging. But a quick observation i see what your describing, but without seeing whats actually in the "tune" I wouldnt' know where to start just yet. But i can tell you this, I already know where I would like to look....

Cool, yeah when I get my files and software I will email you. Thanks for taking a look though!

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Now before we start I understand the opinions in here well be biased. Now for some back info, I previously lived in NJ and the car was tuned by Kevin Hand through an sct livewire. The car runs flawlessly, but now I live 700 miles away in Indy. I am ready to add a 4# lower and e85 to my ported Eaton BF 2.76 accufab 80s setup. I really do not want to shell out money every time I change something. My buddy has a 600+whp Integra all built and tuned himself (vids if anyone wants to see) who willing help me tune it myself. He has shown me how easy it is to tune for driveability with a tune on the fly style software, so that's something to consider. So what's your thoughts? Sct prp? Moates quarterhorse? Just sack up and pay someone?

DO IT YOURSELF!

Its so ****ing gratifying to learn how to tune and see results, and learn why and how everything works.

Its amazing to see the disconnect in the domestic world when it comes to tuning versus your buddy in the import world where its more "DIY" based.

Its disappointing the lack of self-tuning apparatus/programs/interfaces when it comes to domestics. Id say someone should design/code a nice chip and cable interface with a program that lets you log and tune all in one package, but the demand is so low when it comes to domestics. Most are too scared or just lack the motivation to want to learn.

boost4me

Banned
DO IT YOURSELF!

Its so ****ing gratifying to learn how to tune and see results, and learn why and how everything works.

Its amazing to see the disconnect in the domestic world when it comes to tuning versus your buddy in the import world where its more "DIY" based.

Its disappointing the lack of self-tuning apparatus/programs/interfaces when it comes to domestics. Id say someone should design/code a nice chip and cable interface with a program that lets you log and tune all in one package, but the demand is so low when it comes to domestics. Most are too scared or just lack the motivation to want to learn.

Yep, supply and demand...

I think we're lucky to have the tools that we have at our disposal. Its only gotten to the point where the capable domestic owner can even do it themselves within the last 6-7 years.

I remember searching for simple wide band kits and install gauges back in 2004 and they were almost non-existent, forget analog outputs and data logging. The only option you had back then was going to a dyno shop. Now there are tons of options.

I consider myself in transition... I literally just did all these mods to my car a few months ago, installed all the tools necessary to eventually get on my own etc..

Users who are viewing this thread