To those who doubt theres a good cop...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DARKSTI

Yea, its a 4CYL ...
Established Member
I got pulled over, no ticket tho:)

I was driving down Mae Anne for those who know, and just reached the Interesction by AM/PM. The light was red and i was at about 5mph when i got to it and it turned green as i was still rolling. I downshift into 2nd and speed up to 39/40 in a 35. I see this cop that WAS turning left at the light change his mind and get my lane about 2-3 cars back in his Explorer. I stayed at 39/40 the whole time as was getting passed by every other car. I turned left onto Mcarran and went up to about 54 in a 50. I then turned left onto W. 7th St. I then went up to 39/40 again, not very fast acceleration tho,shifting at about 2500RPM. Once we got past the car wash and wal mart, he turned the cherries on and turned on the siren for about 4 seconds. I actually was expecting this becuase i noticed he kept the same length back from me and matched my lane changes. So, i pull over, turn off the car and put the keys on the dashboard. He comes up to me and asks me if i knew why he pulled me over. I say no, he says you were going 40 in a 35, and asks for my L/R. I give him my license and he asks me how long ive had the car (im in the cobra) i say about 8-9 Months. I say that i was just going with the flow and other people were passing me. Im shaking a little bit becuase ive been a bit stressed latley and dont want a ticket. He also says that when he sees people going 40 by him they usually go 50/60 in a 35. I say that always go 40 and that i have Friends/Family who can attest to that.While im looking for my registration, he says "You know what Ryan?, Just slow down for me. " So i say yes sir and he hands my license back to me and leaves. The whole time he was very polite and i was also.

cliffs: Im going 40 in a 35 and a cop pulls me over and lets me go.

Side note: in my area, it seems like its been cop city. Like i said, i think its becuase 4 lanes and 85% of people go at least 10 over, and we have had a few street races at night it seems like.

Last edited:

ChuckV

Established Member
In my experience not driving like an asshole, especially in the city, and being polite and honest will get you a LONG way. I get pulled over pretty much every time I drive the Cobra through town after 11pm, but I have yet to recieve a ticket. I also have yet to break the law, but driving a bright red "kid's car" when the town is doing their best to crack down on teen DUIs/Drug use, I don't really have a problem being pulled over for no reason other than to make sure I'm not drunk. In my opinion, that's a MUCH better use of police rescources than parking along side the road to enforce speeds.

Lawman85

Banned
So he is a good cop because he got you speeding on 3 different roads, which you just openly admitted to speeding on, and let you go with a warning? Would he still have been a "good cop" if you had gotten the ticket?

DARKSTI

Yea, its a 4CYL ...
Established Member
Lawman85 said:
So he is a good cop because he got you speeding on 3 different roads, which you just openly admitted to speeding on, and let you go with a warning? Would he still have been a "good cop" if you had gotten the ticket?
wow. I was not speeding, in Nevada they let you go up to 5 miles over, and they even said that on the local news. if you dont do that, even on side streets you get people riding youre ass and such. I never said i speed. if you read my post i was only 4-5 over while everyone was passing me. If i had gotten a ticket as long as he was nice and wasnt a ass, i would say hes just doing his job. I would have fought the ticket tho, becuase i know i only barely hit 40, and i know people in this area so i never go more than 5 over.

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
LTHLBLU said:
wow. I was not speeding, in Nevada they let you go up to 5 miles over, and they even said that on the local news.
LTHLBLU said:
I downshift into 2nd and speed up to 39/40 in a 35.

Limit, n.

1.) The point, edge, or line beyond which something cannot or may not proceed.
2.) A confining or restricting object, agent, or influence.
3.) The greatest or least amount, number, or extent allowed or possible.

......Example: speed limit n. The maximum speed legally permitted on a given stretch of road.

Please consult the dictionary before posting. A Limit is a limit and not a point in where a grace period begins. Speeding at 1mph over, is speeding just like 50MPh over the limit is.

Last edited:

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Well today for some reason everbody thinks they (and I am included) are entitled to going 5 over the speed limit. Now when I see a cop behind me I slow down to the speed limit because I know from past experience and talking to cops that they will use that for pulling you over "just to get to know you better".

When my old 90 Mustang had a spotlight on the pillar I was pulled over a lot for by that reason to find out who I was. My friends that have excop vics have been pulled over for it.

They can bust you for it. They will if you piss them off. We all do it. I just wonder how it became accepted practice?

matt

DARKSTI

Yea, its a 4CYL ...
Established Member
wow, didnt we just have a thread about this and some uf you guys said your own agencies give up to 10mph grace? i didnt make this thread the say he was a good cop for not giving me a ticket, i made it becuase becuase he was a smart and polite cop. Geezm see if i ever defend cops again. and what one of you goes less than 2 over?

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
A greater danger is presented by one car going ONLY five miles over the limit while the rest of the traffic is going twenty over.
I have been hired to videotape traffic flow several times and have observed many near misses caused by one car "only" going five over while the rest of the flow is going 15 to 20 over. On two of the streets the video was cause for the speed limit being raised by 10mph in one case and fifteen in the other. And in both cases the cities involved probably made more money from the higher speed limits, since a survey for radar enforcement was done at the same time.

DARKSTI

Yea, its a 4CYL ...
Established Member
oldmodman said:
A greater danger is presented by one car going ONLY five miles over the limit while the rest of the traffic is going twenty over.
I have been hired to videotape traffic flow several times and have observed many near misses caused by one car "only" going five over while the rest of the flow is going 15 to 20 over. On two of the streets the video was cause for the speed limit being raised by 10mph in one case and fifteen in the other. And in both cases the cities involved probably made more money from the higher speed limits, since a survey for radar enforcement was done at the same time.
thats exactly whats happening in this area, even the cop said he was expecting me to be going 50.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Lawman85 said:

Interesting question!

So Ryan, what is the answer? :shrug:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
LTHLBLU said:
wow, didnt we just have a thread about this and some uf you guys said your own agencies give up to 10mph grace? i didnt make this thread the say he was a good cop for not giving me a ticket, i made it becuase becuase he was a smart and polite cop. Geezm see if i ever defend cops again. and what one of you goes less than 2 over?

First off, you arent defending cops! You are praising one police officer who let you off without a ticket. There is a big difference.

Second, he may have been polite, but what criteria are you using to state he was smart? Once again because he didnt write you?

Your title says "good cop" not "smart and polite cop".

DARKSTI

Yea, its a 4CYL ...
Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
Interesting question!

So Ryan, what is the answer? :shrug:
yet again, read my reply, i answered it.

yes he would have, becuase he was polite and didnt have a attidude like it seems you guys do.

FordSVTFan said:
First off, you arent defending cops! You are praising one police officer who let you off without a ticket. There is a big difference.

Second, he may have been polite, but what criteria are you using to state he was smart? Once again because he didnt write you?

Your title says "good cop" not "smart and polite cop".
Yes i am, have you seen some of the threads in this forum? people bash them and im trying to point out that there is always good cops. he was smart becuase he knew that everyone was going faster than me and that it would be a waste of time to write a ticket that would easily have been thrown out in court. If he did write me, i never would have cared. I have talked to a judge, and my Grandpa is a retired lawer who acted as a judge and they both said 5 over would have been thrown out, esp. becuase i was going slower than the rest of the traffic. :bored:

Last edited:

Blck92GT

Established Member
Editted by Moderator for Content.

Since you obviously cant follow the guidelines set forth for this forum, you will need to refrain from posting here!

Last edited by a moderator:

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Blck92GT said:
Editted by Moderator for Content.

Since you obviously cant follow the guidelines set forth for this forum, you will need to refrain from posting here!

It's a fact that LEO's drive faster than the average person? From what source (other than pulling thoughts out of your ass) are you quoting?

BTW - We prefer the spelling of "donuts" over "doughnuts" since it is easier.......we hate big words, too hard to spell - something we have in common based on your post.

Last edited by a moderator:

StangJason

Established Member
Lawfficer said:
Limit, n.

1.) The point, edge, or line beyond which something cannot or may not proceed.
2.) A confining or restricting object, agent, or influence.
3.) The greatest or least amount, number, or extent allowed or possible.

......Example: speed limit n. The maximum speed legally permitted on a given stretch of road.

Please consult the dictionary before posting. A Limit is a limit and not a point in where a grace period begins. Speeding at 1mph over, is speeding just like 50MPh over the limit is.

So should I have the legal right to pull a cop over everytime I see one pass me doing atleast 50mph in a 40mph with no lights or siren on? Cops seem to speed around here as much as the common driver and if I got pulled over for doing 5mph I would be floored :eek:

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
StangJason said:
So should I have the legal right to pull a cop over everytime I see one pass me doing atleast 50mph in a 40mph with no lights or siren on? Cops seem to speed around here as much as the common driver and if I got pulled over for doing 5mph I would be floored :eek:

If you have police powers then by all means make the stop.

I believe he was trying to make the point that a limit is just that, not a point from which you can extend a grace period in writing. Most officers exercise discretion in their interpretation of the legislative intent which is to have drivers adhere to the posted speed limit without being forced to ticket every driver who exceeds said limit by one mile. Most stick to a ten over rule, some less.

Officers who exceed the limit by a few miles are normally responding to calls, otherwise they would be driving slower to assist them in observing traffic, pedestrians, etc.

I don't have an issue with driving the speed limit at all times as long as you don't have an issue with me being late when you really need me. :beer:

You have to understand the job before you can truly judge the players, and watching COPS on TV does not qualify one for the role of observer..........try a ride-a-long sometime.

QuikGT

Banned
so whats yall's excuse for pulling over a nicer car doing less mph than a shitty one going faster.....honestly i always figured it to be because yall were jealous or something....not being rude but to better keep my self out of trouble what signs should i watch for to keep from being puilled over
?.....

BOOST N SVT

mswaim said:
You have to understand the job before you can truly judge the players, and watching COPS on TV does not qualify one for the role of observer..........try a ride-a-long sometime.

Is a ride-a-long really possible? I think that would be a great experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread