$$ To the man that correctly diagnoses my Cobra

cobraracer46

Banned
Could be the fuel system, being that you shut it off and turned it back on, thats about the only thing I can think of crapping out at that time.

Can you check your fuel pressure to make sure its correct?

I would not worry about the fuel system at this time. With gas leaking onto the bumper, I would say the fuel system is doing a good job at pumping gas.

:lol1:at the recommendations to drop the tank.

I would do easy shit first. Eyeball the entire car for an obvious problem like a large vacuum leak or damaged sensor.

Hook up a scanner a take a look at the data stream. are all of the sensor numbers in the ball park?

have fun.:burnout:

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I would not worry about the fuel system at this time. With gas leaking onto the bumper, I would say the fuel system is doing a good job at pumping gas.

:lol1:at the recommendations to drop the tank.

I would do easy shit first. Eyeball the entire car for an obvious problem like a large vacuum leak or damaged sensor.

Hook up a scanner a take a look at the data stream. are all of the sensor numbers in the ball park?

have fun.:burnout:

That is exactly why I said fuel system. If its running max capacity regardless of rpm then it would make sense that it is dumping fuel out the exhaust...and I consider the FRPS part of the fuel system...

the major state change from running perfect to barely running was that the car was shut off, and therefore fuel system was shut down. You aren't likely to blow much else just by turning it off and back on.

Just my reasoning, we all have our trains of thought...good luck OP!

PureSound15

Established Member
First off - thank you SO much for your help. I work a LOT of hours and this car is the only stress relief I have so its KILLING me that it's down for the count.

The bad news - the FRPS did nothing. If anything, I'd say it's running worse in it's current state. Would it help if I were to post a video? It sounds/smells/looks liek it's running rich - that's about as useful as it would be.

Tonight I did pop the same code after 30 seconds of running - P1121.

I'm lost fellas. I'm not a mechanic but usually find my way to the problem - I sincerely appreciate your help.

Anyone have any opinions as far as 02 sensors causing this?

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
The O2's can be ruined by bad fuel.
It has happened to me.
One way to check,
have the injectors cleaned with the "BG" injector cleaner system.
It disconnects the car's fuel system and only runs on the cleaner.
If you had bad fuel,
it will need an injector clean anyway.
And then fresh fuel and new front O2 sensors.

Turkish

The Perpetrator
Established Member
It's your MAF. I just fixed an 01 Cobra with the same symtoms. Idles a bit ruff, unburned fuel coming out the exhaust, would fall on it's face & die at 2K RPM's if you tried to drive it.

PureSound15

Established Member
Fuel looks good, haven't pulled the 02s yet though.

I took back the new MAF and they ordered a new one that I can pick up tonight.

PureSound15

Established Member
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wudTeEy0f-c"]YouTube - Damn you, cobra![/nomedia]

WTF is that noise when I shut it off? EGR valve maybe? Maybe that's my vacuum leak? I could also possibly be going insane and it's just the vacuum escaping and it does it all the time :shrug:

Last edited:

99MystiC

Established Member
My 99 does the same thing after shut down. Its been doing it forever. The noise is a lil diff but sounds like escaping air.

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
My 99 made a sound very similar to yours. It turns out it was my PCV valve. Do you still have your PCV system intact? My theory is that the PCV system does pull a slight vacuum on the crankcase (I hope I'm not opening a can of worms here) and the sound is air rushing by the ball in the valve to equalize the pressure. I changed my PCV valve. I still hear the air sound but it doesn't sound like it's farting anymore.

01yellercobra

Established Member
You can unplug the MAF and start the car. If it runs better then the MAF is bad. If it stays the same then the problem isn't the MAF.

K2AHollywood

Established Member
Well you have all sorts of sounds going on, even during running. Have you checked your pulleys to make sure the bearings are making noise...thought I heard something. Also with shutdown if you are talking about the click, almost open electrical sound - those are the injectors releasing pressure

PureSound15

Established Member
Well you have all sorts of sounds going on, even during running. Have you checked your pulleys to make sure the bearings are making noise...thought I heard something.

car has a blower on it :D

I replaced the "new" MAF and the "new" TPS last night and it ran like a champion. Drove it for a few miles and ended up taking it to work this morning which it still ran perfectly.

THEN - on my way to lunch it died 8 times and I got a p0102 code. Which is voltage lower than expected at MAF.

SO - I either have a 3rd bad MAF, or I have a pin/wire lose in the harness. I'm going to "work from home" now and see if I can find it. I'm assuming it's got to be within the harnesses I touched.

Thanks for following along, and I sincerely appreciate the help.

PureSound15

Established Member
I found it - the MAFia would work intermittently. it would show voltage for 10 seconds or so and then nothing for a few seconds.

Replaced the MAFia with a new one and the problem is fixed!

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Good deal.

As for that shut-down noise, do you still have a connected PCV setup like some of the others posted?

-Kevin

d-nice

Established Member
I installed a oil catch can off of the PVC system and I had this type of noise when I shut the car off. I guess its because of the added line and volume of the catch can. I installed a one way check valve into the line after the oil can and it stopped the leaking noise at shut down.

Users who are viewing this thread