$$ To the man that correctly diagnoses my Cobra

PureSound15

Established Member
Yes, I'm serious. I'm at my whits end and cannot figure out what's wrong with my car.

What happened - Car was running great, stopped and got some gas (93 from Shell). When I started the car up it instantly ran like shit and died. I limped it home a few miles and developed a P1121 code.

What I did - Replaced the TPS and the MAF. My car is also using the Diablo MAFia, I ruled that out by connecting my factory MAF harness directly to the MAF rather than through the MAFia. Still runs like shit.

What it does. Rich as hell - enough that I'm collecting fuel on my bumper. I can only get up to about 2k RPM before it bogs and falls on its face. I'm not getting any codes anymore, but I also have not driven it more than 2 miles in my attempt to get it to work.

SO. I have no idea what to do or what to change. Maybe 02s? Maybe the new MAF I picked up is just as defective as the old one? Maybe the new TPS is defective? I'm clueless.
:bash:

BTW. Procharged 4.6. No air leaks or vacuum leaks that I can find.

FAsnakes

الوزن الى القوة
Established Member
Prob got bad gas... . Drop the tank and check it out..

- gl

01yellercobra

Established Member
Disconnecting the MAFia will cause the engine to run horrible. It's compensated for in the tune. Given that it's running rich I would think it's the FRPS. Did you replace the MAF with an identical unit?

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Could be the fuel system, being that you shut it off and turned it back on, thats about the only thing I can think of crapping out at that time.

Can you check your fuel pressure to make sure its correct?

2003DSGMACH1

Established Member
FRPS - fuel rail pressure sensor

+2 for the FRPS. I have a procharged mach 1 and it would run like crap at 2000rpms and I could not get over 2000rpms, but if I let it set and like it run for a few mins it would run fine untill one day it was running fine I got on it at about 3500rpms it started to run like shit and died and I could not start it and had it towed home.

Bmeagher

Seriously Northern
Established Member
I had the same code, i found my PSRI welds were cracked on the bottom and cracked sheetmetal. Removed the intake, got 1/16" aluminum plate replaced with 1/4" aluminum plate. Problem fixed! Do you happen to have a PSRI?

PureSound15

Established Member
I had the same code, i found my PSRI welds were cracked on the bottom and cracked sheetmetal. Removed the intake, got 1/16" aluminum plate replaced with 1/4" aluminum plate. Problem fixed! Do you happen to have a PSRI?

I don't - but that would make sense. I'm going to look into the FRPS

Would I be able to drive the car with a faulty FRPS, though? I have no experience with them, but from the little I've read it seems as though once it pops... the car wont run. I only want to research what I'm replacing since I'm digging quite the hole already.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
I don't - but that would make sense. I'm going to look into the FRPS

Would I be able to drive the car with a faulty FRPS, though? I have no experience with them, but from the little I've read it seems as though once it pops... the car wont run. I only want to research what I'm replacing since I'm digging quite the hole already.

I've never popped one. I've heard the cars run like total crap when they go. I'm not sure if there's a limp mode like the MAF's. If you unplug the MAF the computer goes into limp mode so you can make it home. Might be worth trying to unplug the FRPS and see what happens.

popeye010

Established Member
Pull the fuel filter and dump it into a glass and look for water . Keep it simple and start with the immediate change you did to the car before it started to run like crap.

quikcobra

Established Member
Bad gas (Or diesel) it seems like, or the sensor on the driver side of the fuel rail.

Disconnect the fuel line and pump fuel into a bottle look for the obvious if nothing burn it on the floor and see if it burnslike gas should and any residue that gas doesnt have.

Last edited:

PureSound15

Established Member
I ordered a FRPS and it should be at the Ford dealership tomorrow morning.

From what I've read, it seems like my issues are kind of common with the sensor going - but it's strange that I'm not throwing a code.

Users who are viewing this thread