To serve and protect....

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
If she was legitimately scared, she should've called 911 immediately. 911 will either confirm that it's an officer, or tell you that it's not and send an officer to your location. Once it's confirmed to be an officer, pull over. From her own words, the officer came up to her window and said "what in the hell are you doing? I could arrest you for this.", and she responded to him claiming that she doesn't care who he is and she didn't have to stop. Called his bluff, and he played his hand.

It would've taken the same amount of time, if not more, for her to call 911 and verify he was an actual officer than it did for her to drive less than a mile down the road like she did. People are encouraged all over that if you don't feel safe to drive to a well lit populated area. The department remarked that the officer was in a fully marked patrol car so she should've pulled over. How can she possibly see that when all she can see is flashers behind her at night? Overreaction by the officer no doubt.

Blown 89

Established Member
We have some sneaky unmarked cars around here. One in particular is a faded and oxidized maroon dodge mini van from the 90's. No way no how do I pull over for that until I call 911 and verify it's a cop then tell them to inform the officer to my call, then and only then will I pull over. That's happened to me and the officer understood and we didn't have a problem.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
It would've taken the same amount of time, if not more, for her to call 911 and verify he was an actual officer than it did for her to drive less than a mile down the road like she did. People are encouraged all over that if you don't feel safe to drive to a well lit populated area. The department remarked that the officer was in a fully marked patrol car so she should've pulled over. How can she possibly see that when all she can see is flashers behind her at night? Overreaction by the officer no doubt.

Most laws that I've read state (One or more flashing or rotating lights ON TOP of the car.)
This all started years ago when people were faking being LEOs targeting women in exact situations like this.
All of which were using what looked like unmarked or undercover cars.

For this reason lots of LEO agencies do not let unmarked cars run traffic at all.
But my understanding and everything I've read says if it is a marked unit you should pull over.

musclefan21

Established Member
where's musclefan? backtracking all over the place on this one by the sheriffs dept. if it was a good stop before it would still be a good stop. they would say the officer was right in what he did, but that it was up to the prosecutor to file charges or not.

I am right here buddy. It was a good arrest. Just because they are dropped doesn't mean it wasnt. I think i said that before. The arrest was good, legal. Officer had the probable cause to make the arrest. Even the prosecuter who dropped the charges says that. So i dont know what yoir argument is here.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
I have driven an unmarked patrol car since 2008, and work I-95 that varies from urban to rural areas. On numerous occasions I have had females (and a few males) drive to an area off the interstate that is well lit. If they acknowledge my presence behind them and drive at or below the limit to the NEXT exit and then to a well lit place, I have no issues with it at all. The law here in VA says that a person shall stop when summonsed by a Law Enforcement Officer. There is no time frame for them to stop, although, most presume it is as soon as reasonably possible. It still comes down to discretion by the officer.

Either way, I am glad the charges were dropped in the case the OP posted.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Most laws that I've read state (One or more flashing or rotating lights ON TOP of the car.)
This all started years ago when people were faking being LEOs targeting women in exact situations like this.
All of which were using what looked like unmarked or undercover cars.

For this reason lots of LEO agencies do not let unmarked cars run traffic at all.
But my understanding and everything I've read says if it is a marked unit you should pull over.

If you can actually see that it's a marked car, yes I agree. When one pulls up behind you at night all you're going to see are cherries and blueberries. She drove less than a mile at a regular rate of speed with her hazards on. He grossly over reacted.

Vigilante

Established Member
There was a rash of fake cops pulling people over in my area, they issued a warning if you do not feel safe pulling over is lawful to drive to a spot you do feel safe. This cop over reacted x 10.

This times a million. You are in a state where people(not a single person) has been caught impersonating police. BUT I must say that it was most likely her reaction that caused this. Instead of finding out if he is a real cop by calling 911(or when he came up to the window and had a badge number) and then apologizing immediately for not pulling over this would be a much different situation.

I can honestly say I'm pretty forgiving, but sometimes people force you to do things when they start getting that "You don't like doing paperwork" mentality.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Whether I receive love or hate for what I'm about to say does not concern me,

No one ever taught me to hate the police nor to distrust them (individually or as a whole) but I don't know how else to react anymore when I see how we are treated as subservient individuals.

My respect for members of this profession has gradually cracked away like the foundation on a very old house.

Weeks ago I was pulled over by the state for something minor and all the while my camera was running. Actually it was running well before the traffic stop. I showed it to one of my very good friends for close to twenty five years who also works for the state. Now I never asked him to fix the citation (if it ever gets here) because if I screw up I'll take responsibility. Rather, I wanted him to tell me if I was driving bad or doing something wrong. He was more concerned that I had the audacity to record the interaction and pretty much accused me of having ulterior motives of some sort. My lawyer, predictably, had a much different opinion.

The Us vs Them mindset is strong through the ranks of law enforcement.

Last edited:

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
The Us vs Them mindset is strong through the ranks of law enforcement.

The same can be said for citizens though. It isn't just them.

Serious question,
How many believe that any of the recent officer shootings came from an officer who set out with the intent just to shoot a civilian?

Now,
How many civilian shootings of officers came from someone who set out with the intent just to shoot an officer?

Think about that for a moment and if you can't see apprehension in their job you are blind. How they handle that apprehension is the problem and several recently made the wrong choice.
Problem is when they make the wrong choice someone can die. I get that.

Even in my job the wrong choice and someone can die. But I don't go to work with the knowledge that half this country doesn't like me.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
People didn't wake up one day and out of the blue decide to hate/dislike, distrust, etc.., the police. These emotions stem from actions of those who have sworn a particular oath to society. Based on common sense alone, I'm certain for every one incident coming to light, many more never get such treatment nor decency. It's acceptable for law enforcement to treat every person as if they are the enemy but don't dare reciprocate those feelings if you are a civilian?

Back in the fall, some nut shot two troopers killing one. The response was an insult to everyone. You were made to believe a deity was killed and these charlatans claimed the overwhelming response would have been done no matter who the victim was. I won't lie to you and say I felt sorry for what happened but I also won't tell you I supported what happened. I guess I was indifferent. As time went on it was became apparent how lopsided this entire scenario is in regards to L.E. and non L.E. People are becoming aware how they (in general) are treated and are fed up.

Last edited:

truefiveo

Established Member
The whole us vs them mentality creates a mob/gang mentality...totally unacceptable!
Professionalism, composure and being level headed go hand in hand with being a good public servant.

That is the problem with law enforcement, some recruits still haven't matured enough mentally for this concept.

Overall experience in life is more of a factor than age when it comes to this.

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
the only problem you have with this is that it is not the rookies that are doing most of this shit. it is the cops with 5+ years of service in most cases

The whole us vs them mentality creates a mob/gang mentality...totally unacceptable!
Professionalism, composure and being level headed go hand in hand with being a good public servant.

That is the problem with law enforcement, some recruits still haven't matured enough mentally for this concept.

Overall experience in life is more of a factor than age when it comes to this.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
For the most part when I've been stopped I treat the officer with respect and I get the same in kind. There have been instances when they've been complete assholes for absolutely no reason too. I chalk it up to people being people. There are assholes in every walk of life, some chose to become police officers.

The ones who have blatant disregard for people's rights and their lives are the ones that need to be weeded out before they make decisions like the one in SC.

Satyr

Established Member
I've been pulled over 4 times in the last 10 years. Each for something very minor, including once for going 31 in a 25, and that was because I was not familiar with the area and turned onto the road after the speed sign. Each and every time, I've been respectful, had all required papers on my person and complied with every order given. I've been treated with the same level of respect exactly once.

I understand that a LEO's job is dangerous, now more than ever. But there's no reason to act like a douche to every person you pull over (especially in an area with a mean househould income of $100k and an 80% Caucasian population). I know that every cop isn't like this, and I've heard plenty of stories about the kind, sympathetic officers--but that has never been my experience.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
People didn't wake up one day and out of the blue decide to hate/dislike, distrust, etc.., the police. These emotions stem from actions of those who have sworn a particular oath to society. Based on common sense alone, I'm certain for every one incident coming to light, many more never get such treatment nor decency. It's acceptable for law enforcement to treat every person as if they are the enemy but don't dare reciprocate those feelings if you are a civilian?

Sound like the CA thread where people like to generalize ALL police officers as assholes. Such generalizations are generally idiotic statements, but nothing uncommon. 90% of the distrust of the LEO comes from the media sensationalizing criminal behavior and focusing attention on the bad apples. The other 10% comes from actual bad experiences people have had. I honestly don't care if people like me or don't like me, but they're all going to be treated equally unless they give reason to escalate things.

Back in the fall, some nut shot two troopers killing one. The response was an insult to everyone. You were made to believe a deity was killed and these charlatans claimed the overwhelming response would have been done no matter who the victim was. I won't lie to you and say I felt sorry for what happened but I also won't tell you I supported what happened. I guess I was indifferent. As time went on it was became apparent how lopsided this entire scenario is in regards to L.E. and non L.E. People are becoming aware how they (in general) are treated and are fed up.

So basically the same pouring out from society/community as in the Michael Brown case (as well as others recently), only there wasn't looting and rioting?

Users who are viewing this thread