To daily or not to daily.....???

RockStarKick

Established Member
K guys, here is the dilema, I have a 2013 GT that I have had since april 1st. I drove it off the showroom floor and have since put 1500 miles on it. I have a civic for my daily, but I look at this car sitting in the garage every day and it just is wasting away.. My commute for work is about 70 miles round trip 70% hwy 30% in traffic.

I want to enjoy this car but I don't want all the bs that comes from daily use.. I mean, sometimes in the civic I get hit with rocks and just think, damn I'm glad I'm not in my Mustang..

Are most of you daily driving these things ? How are they holding up ? e.g rock chips, windshield damage ?

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
I DD mine. I figure its a car. I don't have nearly as long of a commute (26miles round trip) and I don't really see a lot of traffic during my commute times. But I have driven the car from ok to sc and back and ill be driving it to ms, va them back to ok while I'm in a couple of schools.

03machme

go on and mach me
Established Member
I daily mine and even when I have the option to drive the wife's Edge when we go somewhere I still prefer the mustang. Bought mine Aug 28 and now have 3700 miles on it. Loving every single one along the way. I would love to have a daily but I would still prolly end up driving the Mustang at least half the time just because it's more fun to drive. If it was a Shelby or Boss I might feel different but a regular GT will not be worth as much in the future no matter how few miles and clean the paint is. As far as rock chips etc go I only have a couple very minor things that i have noticed but my trip to work is only about 50 miles round trip 4x a week.

Last edited:

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
I drive mine every day, and race it quite often as well. It is a Mustang, very good car for daily use.

Mike

djclark

Established Member
haha. I originally planned on leaving my mustang in the garage and daily driving my regal. Turned out I was driving the mustang 100% of the time. Too much fun - sound etc... Just drive it and enjoy it. That's what its for.

87hatchy

Established Member
It depends on how OCD you are, without even taking into account "what the car will be worth in a few years." To me, its value doesn't matter. I just like to keep my stuff nice, especially when its new. I took my car on a 3 hour trip 2 days after getting it with not even 100 miles on it yet and on the trip I got bird crap on my windshield/hood/roof while going about 70 mph (splattered everywhere), a period of time where it got poured rain on, and an 18 wheeler that decided to drift off onto the shoulder a little bit and spray my car with rocks, leaving two small chips in my bumper. Also keep in mind that I JUST washed and waxed the thing too.

Now I know things like this happened, but it REALLY pissed me off since I JUST freaking got the car. I don't care if it has rock chips and some wear when its 5 years old, but not even a week old! FML!!! Needless to say, I won't be going on any more highway trips with it until they come out with a bra for the 2013's (which blows my mind that they haven't yet).

Bottom line, its your choice. If you can live with a brand new car getting some damage to it (because it WILL if you drive 70 miles everyday), then DD it because its an excellent car to DD. I personally won't drive mine daily until it gets a little older and gets some more miles on it. For now I have a marty mcfly-lookin' 89 Toyota pickup that I DD which is nice and reliable and good in the snow! haha

EDIT: Just for some clarification, I'm mostly referring to highway driving in my post. I do drive my stang to work every day that its nice out, and really wouldn't mind driving it in the rain, however I am fortunate enough to have multiple vehicles, and because of that I'm going to take full advantage of it and drive my beater ass truck when its rainy/snowy. I am a little OCD about my car but I'm not only-20-miles-a-year-on-my-car OCD if you know what I mean!

Last edited:

Bmr4life

Established Member
DD that SOB. I hate to be cold, but its just a mustang, lol. Our cars are not special. They are purely the fastest and least expensive cars out (vs camara, challenger, etc). The interior has gotten a lot better, but its still just average (my wife has a 2012 328i base model and its interior craps all over mine). My daily commute is 80 miles round trip, I get gas every 3-4 days. Sometimes I even carpool with 2 adult passengers in the back. When alone, I floor it MULTIPLE times a day. I couldn't imagine having this car sit in the garage while I DD a 150hp civic. Forget that. I have a bottle of Candy Red Metallic body paint from Ford and have definitely had to use it, that's life.

Last edited:

whatwhine

Established Member
I dd mine. Bought it in the spring, has 9800 miles now. It's my only car lol. Like said above its a mustang man. They're not Lamborghinis or Ford GTs.....

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
I clocked 31,000 miles in the first year.

I am thinking of converting my car to a full blown dedicated drag car in a couple of years. It really is an enjoyable car to race.

Mike

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
Drive mine everyday. It's a Mustang GT and looses tons of value everyday, it will never be worth anything, might as well use it and enjoy it.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
I bought mine July 27th, and have since put 7600 miles on my car in that time. It KILLS me to see the miles rack up this fast as a daily driver, but I enjoy every single mile that I do drive my car. 'Nuff said.

On another note, I do want to try and find a used Ford Ranger 2.3L to have a pickup for when needed, plus to haul my mountain bike and drive to work on occasion.

D.T.R

Established Member
I'd daily it. I'm taking mine to the grave with me. I have 6 vehicles in the house, yet the mustang is the one that gets driven the most. 20k miles and the car was bought last december. It's fun to drive, yet great in gas on the hwy... so why not? I'm not too paranoid about the mileage as the car will have a new motor soon :D

KWClutch

Steve McQueen
Established Member
Got my '13 June 3rd and it just rolled 9900 miles. Got 2 small chips but the sterling grey hides it pretty well. A car is a car. Like you said, they make you feel bad sitting in the garage. They are built to be driven. If I could afford it I'd DD a Ferrari, M5...etc. As said above it's a Mustang GT.

Drive the hell out of it, take good care of it and it'll take good care of you.

RockStarKick

Established Member
All valid points, I am anal when it comes to my car's cleanliness and appearance. I will probably slowly just work it in to my weekly routine. I will try and not drive it on rainy days though.. LOL.. My civic has 98 hp and I constantly get raped by corollas and such, but it gets 38 mpg and has ice cold air...

5.0GT

Established Member
Sell the Civic for mods. I bought mine used at Jan had, 16 or 17 not sure. Went to Cali twice and now it has 27k with some drag passes and HPDEs, with a lot to come.

Like the other guys said, these cars don't hold their value that well. If that's an issue you're better off selling it and buying something that does.

zemog255

Established Member
Like others have said it will hold up fine. But I can understand where you are coming from I don't care that its just a mustang gt. I like my "toy" to be nice and clean and have that new feeling when I get in it. I don't daily mine cause I need a truck for work but I do drive it a ton on the weekends. If I was in your shoes I would take it to work on fridays or something it will be fine but you won't be racking up a ton of miles and wear on it. If I daily my car that I mod I get bored of it very quickly also but thats just me.

REPCobra10

Established Member
You should definitely DD it, OP. It's a Mustang and is meant to be driven, not stored like an exotic car! Haha! If you're worried about the mileage racking up, drive your Civic one week and your Mustang the next. You could even drive the Civic 3-days out of the week and the Mustang 2-days out of the week...:beer:

Bmr4life

Established Member
If your DD was better than a 98hp civic, then I could be swayed to vote otherwise. But with that, I would definitely DD the mustang and keep the civic for driving while the mustang is in pieces being upgraded. I've had two cars with less than 100hp and they were both sad. First was a 90hp 1990 mustang HB that could NOT hit 100mph. Period. 2nd was a 88HP Honda CRX that hit 108mph on a long straight in Alabama (got a ticket to prove it, lol).

Last edited:

mikestoyz

Established Member
Its not a ferrari, its meant to be driven. Its so much fun to drive a 400+ HP car every day. I let a fox body rot in my garage.....never again. I dont care about rock chips and scratches. When I put the pedal down, all I think about is WOW!

Users who are viewing this thread