To all those that are changing the shifter...

a94cobra

Established Member
Don't mess up that plastic piece that holds the leather shifter boot or the leather for that matter. This piece is very expensive. Ford retail is $421. This is outrageous.

I am having mine replaced, local stereo shop scratched it trying to install radio.

RedfireVenom

11 Second Vert Club
Established Member
ugh...there is a website online that supposedly sells the same parts for much cheaper. Someone on this board mentioned it not to long ago, I can't remember the name.

hantzis

Established Member
HA! Ford is so ridiculous with their prices on some items. I wanted to purchase the stock air box (assembly) recently. When the part rep said, "$420" my mouth dropped. $420 for a plastic air box, snorkel, and a couple metal clamps.

a94cobra

Established Member
Yes the piece with the cig lighter. He dropped it to almost cost because it was so much. Like $306

Onelfastlride

Established Member
Ummmmmmmmmm.........Yeah..........try FordPartsCheap.com it's not $400 or even close. I know.

Last edited:

a94cobra

Established Member
The Mach1 or GT pieces do not come with a leather boot. I can get the standard piece for around $100. It's just vinyl.

Last edited:

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
holy crap!! i had a custom gain control mounted in mine... and now that i dont have my stereo in there, i dont need it anymore. but i cant take it out because itll have a big hole there!

i was hoping they would be like 50 or less.

ill pick one up at 5.0 resto or something. if i cant find my color, ill paint it with interior paint. screw paying 400 bucks for a piece of plastic that took some dude 5 seconds to stamp.

-Homer

a94cobra

Established Member
I wasn't stating that the Mach1 piece did not come with a boot, but it is only a vinyl boot not a leather one like the Cobra.

NWUCIT

Established Member
Getting ready to do the shifter change...for those who have done it, what is the right way to safely remove the plastic piece with out damage?

Users who are viewing this thread