To all the drag racers......

04mysticvert

Established Member
Went down to the local drag stip and done a few passes. I have a 04 cobra convertible with jlt cai, full exhaust, stock tune, stock pullies, and street tires. My best pass was a 12.68 with a 2.01 60ft. The wind was blowing hard and was blowing towards the car, so my question is, is this a good pass?
Would a tune play a major role in a better time?

I am trying to get in the 11's with stock pullies.

04mysticvert

Established Member
Was thinking about going with some 4.10 gears for my next upgrade with a MGW shifter. How did the 3.73 do for you?

JLear

2014 GT
Established Member
I think that's a very good time for street tires, with some drag radials you could probably improve on that but my opinon would be you will not get in the 11's on stock pulley unless you use nitrous. Good time, for pretty much stock tho.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
3.55's or 3.73's is what I would run. I've ran 3.55, 3.90, and 4.10's but will be going to switch to 3.73's when I can.

Our cars respond just as good or better with 3.55's or 3.73's because of all the midrange torque imo.

mach1033

Established Member
The street tires is whats killing you. For shits and giggles I went to the track when I first bought my car which is a vert like yours. 1st and 2nd were a complete waste hopped like a mofo and I had Nitto 555 extremes street tires. 60 ft was 2.4 and I could only get a 12.6 at 122. My advice would be to get some drag radials and see what you can do. Suspension mods costs some money so do them as your funds would allow.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
I thought they came stock with 3.55's?

Yes they did and myself along with IronTerp have been trying to figure out for close to 2 years which gears were better for ported Eaton's. Looks to me 3.55's or 3.73's will be faster on the 1/4 mile.

JLear

2014 GT
Established Member
The street tires is whats killing you. For shits and giggles I went to the track when I first bought my car which is a vert like yours. 1st and 2nd were a complete waste hopped like a mofo and I had Nitto 555 extremes street tires. 60 ft was 2.4 and I could only get a 12.6 at 122. My advice would be to get some drag radials and see what you can do. Suspension mods costs some money so do them as your funds would allow.

At 122 mph I'm assuming your car is not stock like the op? lol

04mysticvert

Established Member
Yes they did and myself along with IronTerp have been trying to figure out for close to 2 years which gears were better for ported Eaton's. Looks to me 3.55's or 3.73's will be faster on the 1/4 mile.

So, 3.73's did work better? I raced a 2010 camaro ss which had cams, full exhaust, cai, and tune. Toward the end of the run, I looked in my rear view mirror, he was actually running me down. So that is why I was wondering about the 4.10 gear.

mach1033

Established Member
At 122 mph I'm assuming your car is not stock like the op? lol

Nope it had the whipple 2.3 with stock pulley making 525 not the 605 in my sig. I wanted to see what it would run without DR's and needless to say I was not impressed. It took some research on my part to fix the hop and unstable feeling of a vert at those speeds and I am happy to say that 4 and a half years later I have a solid car that can run 10's and turn twisties with the best of them.

Last edited:

mach1033

Established Member
So, 3.73's did work better? I raced a 2010 camaro ss which had cams, full exhaust, cai, and tune. Toward the end of the run, I looked in my rear view mirror, he was actually running me down. So that is why I was wondering about the 4.10 gear.

I would do 373's.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member

If I started over with a bone stock Terminator it would keep the stock gears for a very long time. To me I'm convinced the 3.55 or 3.73 gears are a hair faster. At least with an Eaton or even with a Twin Screw. Our cars make a bunch of useable torque and they seem to respond when you try to use it.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Was thinking about going with some 4.10 gears for my next upgrade with a MGW shifter. How did the 3.73 do for you?

it worked good for me because i picked up 4/10's, but i can't for sure say that is exclusively what did it, because my times prior to that were a little inconstistent because of my driving style.

i know you say you don't want to do a pulley, but i would highly recommend it!! really transforms the car :rockon:

mach1033

Established Member
If I started over with a bone stock Terminator it would keep the stock gears for a very long time. To me I'm convinced the 3.55 or 3.73 gears are a hair faster. At least with an Eaton or even with a Twin Screw. Our cars make a bunch of useable torque and they seem to respond when you try to use it.

Whats your opinion of 327's with a ported eaton? I'm going with them on my build. I think my 373's will be to much for the street and all that ridiculous low end TQ lol.

mach1033

Established Member

He was running you down cause of all the mods he had done. If you put a 2.8 pulley and retune your car it will be a little different. If you port your blower he would have been a distant memory.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Whats your opinion of 327's with a ported eaton? I'm going with them on my build. I think my 373's will be to much for the street and all that ridiculous low end TQ lol.

If someone proved they were faster then I'd still have a hard time switching over. That's only my opinion.:beer:

04mysticvert

Established Member
it worked good for me because i picked up 4/10's, but i can't for sure say that is exclusively what did it, because my times prior to that were a little inconstistent because of my driving style.

i know you say you don't want to do a pulley, but i would highly recommend it!! really transforms the car :rockon:

I am going to pulley it, but, I wanted to wait and get that kit from lfp. It comes with all pullies (crank included) and idelers, tuner, belt, and spark plugs for a little over a grand. If anyone has purchased this kit, it would be great to know how the quality of these parts are.

04mysticvert

Established Member
Will the pulley and tune pick the car up 4 tenths? If so, I will just get that setup next instead of the gears.

Users who are viewing this thread