Tired of the heat exchanger getting beat up - what about this?

TRQJUNKIE

Justa Slobra
Established Member
mesh = rice

Disagree... It's only rice if it's there and serves no purpose and is way over the top. This hidden screen is very clean looking and is actually going to allow the HE to last longer.

Now this I rice...
9551.jpg

GodStang

Established Member
As said above. The mesh will defeat the purpose of having an intercooler. The fans are a bad idea since they become a restriction at higher speeds. They are great for when sitting in the pits or bumper to bumper traffic. Otherwise they are a waste.

Over the past 9 years this has been tested. I am just too lazy to go through all the threads to find the results.

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
The more open the mesh in the screen the less resistance and subsequent decrease in CFM.

If you KISS(Keep It Simple Stupid) it does not take much to stop most of the rocks flying up, you don't need nor really want a heavy wire close mesh screen.

I found some gutter screening that had very light gage wire and a fairly open mesh. It hangs just behind the bumper opening, yet a little in front of the H/E.
It is firmly attached at the top with the bottom just hanging.

As an experiment and contrary to my KISS recommendation, I mounted light little springs to the bottom so if you push in on the screen it gives about an inch and then stops.

It's not exactly show quality but it doesn't look that bad either. The same screen stretched tight and screwed down would take the waves out of it and look nicer. It's a light screen though and I did not want rocks going right through it.

20 minute track sessions so far have not produced any detectable IAT2 issue yet, and no rock damage yet either.

I could not afford to restrict air coming through that hole because that's where most of the air for the rad comes in.

I would love to try a killer chiller with the H/E completely deleted and see if it will go the full 20 minutes.----->$$$.$$> me.:(

GodStang

Established Member
The more open the mesh in the screen the less resistance and subsequent decrease in CFM.

If you KISS(Keep It Simple Stupid) it does not take much to stop most of the rocks flying up, you don't need nor really want a heavy wire close mesh screen.

I found some gutter screening that had very light gage wire and a fairly open mesh. It hangs just behind the bumper opening, yet a little in front of the H/E.
It is firmly attached at the top with the bottom just hanging.

As an experiment and contrary to my KISS recommendation, I mounted light little springs to the bottom so if you push in on the screen it gives about an inch and then stops.

It's not exactly show quality but it doesn't look that bad either. The same screen stretched tight and screwed down would take the waves out of it and look nicer. It's a light screen though and I did not want rocks going right through it.

20 minute track sessions so far have not produced any detectable IAT2 issue yet, and no rock damage yet either.

I could not afford to restrict air coming through that hole because that's where most of the air for the rad comes in.

I would love to try a killer chiller with the H/E completely deleted and see if it will go the full 20 minutes.----->$$$.$$> me.:(

Pics or this whole post is worthless!!!

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Pics or this whole post is worthless!!!

This photo was taken to show the lower air dam change that I made but part of the H/E screen can be seen as well.
It's the only photo I have of it, and the springs are either not installed yet or just are not visible(they really are not needed anyway), the waves are from the screen taking hits, so far nothing has gone through.

The mesh is quite open compared to many I have seen and is as open as I could find that I was still comfortable with.

P4090006.jpg

flamed03vert

Established Member
I have the grills that the OP pictured in the intial post. They are okay... :shrug:Most hardcore purist's hate them. I initially installed them for the same reason. I can imagine they might slow the airflow a little bit, but I have wondered by how much. If it makes a tremendous difference in IAT's at all.

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
Is there anywhere to get this mesh now??

I'm not sure as this product hasn't been made in a while and I think LDC is out of business. I will say that the material is more along the lines of a lightweight fencing wire, more heavy duty than a mesh material.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
i'm getting just over 1/2" as well. it definitely looks "reproduce-able", would just need to find a quality weave and then powdercoat/finish it

mmustangsrus

boost makes daddy happy
Established Member
I have mesh behind the bumper cover that is painted black. You can't even see it. My HE is in perfect condition.

mines not perfect :D

Here you go. I need to touch up the paint where rocks have hit it. But at least the HE isn't nicked and dented. My AFCO HE is painted black too.

IMAG0494.jpg

IMAG0496.jpg

IMAG0495.jpg

THIS WHAT I HAVE TOO

I NO LIKEY THE O.P.`s pic i`ve seen it before & still dont like it

Users who are viewing this thread