Tired of the heat exchanger getting beat up - what about this?

cobracide

Established Member
Tired of the heat exchanger getting beat up - what about this? JUST the lower. I think it looks pretty good.

FOR-5018S.jpg

Last edited:

moot09

Established Member
That actually does look alright. Maybe if it was behind the bumper it'd look a little better.. Or just wrap the front of the H/E with that material.

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
I have mesh behind the bumper cover that is painted black. You can't even see it. My HE is in perfect condition.

SlowSVT

Established Member
The tighter the weave on the mesh the less air will pass thru it. A thin welded wire mesh 1/2" x 1/2" grid used in fencing which can be found at hardware stores would be a good alternative. Remember you want to stop the larger rocks from damaging the H/E. Chances are even smaller rocks will deflect of the mesh taking the sting out of the pebble where it won't damage the fins. Remember, you want as much air passing thru the H/E. Reducing the air flow by placing a restrictive mesh in front of it is counter intuitive to that goal.

Something to consider

Blueline

Established Member
I agree with SlowSvt, I think this mesh would hinder air flow to the heat exchanger. I guess a little experiment could answer that. Take a piece of the mesh while your a passenger in a car. Hang it out the window at 30mph 60mph and 80mph. Put your hand in front of it, to feel the air, then put your hand behind the mesh to see how much of the air is actually going through. I know it doesn't look very restrictive, but I think you would be surprised. If someone tries this please report back. If I can find some mesh in the garage Ill try it and report back.

traktrbeam

Oh Noes!
Established Member
Premium Member
The tighter the weave on the mesh the less air will pass thru it. A thin welded wire mesh 1/2" x 1/2" grid used in fencing which can be found at hardware stores would be a good alternative. Remember you want to stop the larger rocks from damaging the H/E. Chances are even smaller rocks will deflect of the mesh taking the sting out of the pebble where it won't damage the fins. Remember, you want as much air passing thru the H/E. Reducing the air flow by placing a restrictive mesh in front of it is counter intuitive to that goal.

Something to consider

I have to wonder how much actual airflow reaches the H/E. I would like to see the wind tunnel testing where they have the smoke hose that shows the airflow over and under the car on a '03/'04 Cobra.

cbr repsol

Established Member
if your worried about air flow put a electric fan on it.

The first pic doesnt look good imo. The op cobra with the thicker mesh look good.

SlowSVT

Established Member
I have to wonder how much actual airflow reaches the H/E. I would like to see the wind tunnel testing where they have the smoke hose that shows the airflow over and under the car on a '03/'04 Cobra.

The small plastic air dam under the radiator support creates a high pressure area in front of the rad and HE. There is a low pressure area behind it. That forces much of the air thru the rad and HE. Making that air dam larger and closer to the ground would increase that pressure differential.

SlowSVT

Established Member
I agree with SlowSvt, I think this mesh would hinder air flow to the heat exchanger. I guess a little experiment could answer that. Take a piece of the mesh while your a passenger in a car. Hang it out the window at 30mph 60mph and 80mph. Put your hand in front of it, to feel the air, then put your hand behind the mesh to see how much of the air is actually going through. I know it doesn't look very restrictive, but I think you would be surprised. If someone tries this please report back. If I can find some mesh in the garage Ill try it and report back.

There is an easier way.

Walk up to your screen door and put you hand on the far side then blow thru the screen. You will suddenly have an appreciation for how restrictive a wire mesh can be. The turbulence created by the wire makes the hole look even smaller then what the air sees :uh oh:

utfan98

Lack of Restraint
Established Member
Some sort of protection does help. I had mine off a few months ago to get powdercoated black, there were minimal dents and only a few insects made it through the mesh grill. The one I have is stock from a CTS Caddy.

cobra028.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread