The cheap H/E protection

booricua

A JODER
Established Member
Had some time this week end and decided to protect the HE. Here is the how to

first a trip to home depot to get the grille ( cheap ) :thumbsup: $5.99

DSCF0012.jpg

you will need normal tools, and I used my dremel for making cuts. I couldn't find my industrial siccors :fm: so MR dremel to the rescue.

DSCF0016.jpg

start by disassemeling the front end. Since I was also doing the chin spoiler I removed the front fascia
DSCF0008.jpg

even the headlights went out :lol1: :lol1: pull the two black catcher and disconect the light assy
DSCF0009.jpg

next the fascia and the front grill is exposed. I removed two bolts from the side and two more from each end by the headlights.
DSCF0010.jpg

DSCF0011.jpg

once the piece was out I fitted a piece of the cheapo grille :D and secured it with a few small screws to keep the grille flush. I predrilled the holes :thumbsup:

DSCF0013.jpg

once attached I re install the grille assy 4 bolts ;-)
DSCF0007.jpg

Now for the HE. The pack of cheapo screen comes with 5 pcs. Grab the second piece and attach to the top 4 bolts on the HE
DSCF0014.jpg

since I wanted mine closer to the fascia opening I bent it over leaving room in between the HE.
I kept three clips on the bottom side of the grille so I can secured it to the bottom opening of the fascia

DSCF0015.jpg

I cut two pcs for the openings next to the fog lights and secured them with small pcs of wire.

re assemble everythig and here is the finish product for under $10.00

enjoy :beer:
grille1.jpg

grille2.jpg

forcefedcobra

Established Member
Very nice how to. I might venture into doing this now since my HE will be here in a week and the bugs here in Oklahoma can kill anything on the front of a car.

SpectorV

Established Member
the bottom looks to have some wave in it, you should try to get it nice and flat, trimming to fit and all that.

booricua

A JODER
Established Member
SpectorV said:
the bottom looks to have some wave in it, you should try to get it nice and flat, trimming to fit and all that.

I will fix that at the time for the pic it did looked weavy..

I have that over my HE. Just painted it flat black too.

I most likely paint it all black but for now I will keep it unpainted I am sure I will want to change the look later :rockon:

Special Blend

Signature Seizure
Established Member
Very nice. I have basically the exact same setup but with Black Plastic that a guy in my home town builds.

Morio4ua

Established Member
Thanks...

Thanks for the help. I installed them this morning and couldn't be happier. Its not any fun taking the front fascia off, but definetly worth the effort.

screen1.JPG

screen2.JPG

screen3.JPG

Morio4ua

Established Member
Honestly, its not that hard. The front fascia takes maybe 10 mins to remove with basic hand tools. The hardest part is removing the 2 bolts in the inside of the fender on each side. I think they are 11mm. Remove those, and the rest are just little plastic clips. It comes right out with ease. I have some pics if you need....

shadowcoupe

Morio4ua said:
Thanks for the help. I installed them this morning and couldn't be happier. Its not any fun taking the front fascia off, but definetly worth the effort.

screen1.JPG

screen2.JPG

screen3.JPG

how did you attach both the upper and lower grills? Is the lower grill against the HE, or is it flush with the fascia?
thanks.

Morio4ua

Established Member
grey03svt said:
how did you attach both the upper and lower grills? Is the lower grill against the HE, or is it flush with the fascia?
thanks.

It is flush with the fascia. On the top I just predrilled 2 holes and used screwed them in. In front on the heat exchanger I attached it to the fascia. I used the clips that are on the gutter screens and attached it to the top of the bumper and secured the bottom with cotter pins....no drilling. It hasn't moved yet.

shadowcoupe

Morio4ua said:
It is flush with the fascia. On the top I just predrilled 2 holes and used screwed them in. In front on the heat exchanger I attached it to the fascia. I used the clips that are on the gutter screens and attached it to the top of the bumper and secured the bottom with cotter pins....no drilling. It hasn't moved yet.

Ok cool. I just picked up some of this stuff from Home Depot. I couldnt find the aluminum in the long lengths. Only in galvanized. But I did buy a 6inx20ft roll of aluminum stuff, It's alot more bendable and the holes are slightly bigger.....Will try and install tonight, thanks man. :beer:

04svtdriver

I need another sports car
Established Member
coolcobramatt said:
dammit I'm too retarded to take on removing body parts...I want it though!
+1 Not the only one But for under $10 WTF I'll give it a whirl this weekend. Maybe I can even paint it FLAT BLACK then try to find some SVT letters to stencil in over it... HMMM

Users who are viewing this thread