Tire rubbing with rolled fenders!

Franco

Established Member
Pull the wheel off and adjust this bolt "In" or "Out" depending on where you want the tire to sit in the wheel well. It will not affect tire wear and is necessary to achieve proper fitment with larger wheels.

22383742826_d732351feb_o.jpg

Hope this helps.

How much adjustment do you get with this?

03' White Snake

Established Member
^^Thats how you adjust rear camber during an alignment. I dont see how that could affect tire wear....

It is an eccentric bolt. It can be seen here on FTBR's site.
http://www.fulltiltboogieracing.com/FT 1050.htm

IMO, thats not the way to fix the issue. Raise the car up. You can run MM poly ISO's which are slightly stiffer and thicker, which will raise the car up a little bit, 1/4"-1/2".

Blueline

Established Member
Brady according to your alignment sheet your already at -1.3 camber so that can't go any further. The reason I ask about camber is the moves the top of the tire/wheel in and out. Some shops, depending who you used may have left it very positive causing the top of the wheel to stick out. But unfortunately for you, where yours are at it pretty much far enough.

94slowbra1

Established Member
If its only the passenger side then something is wrong over there. The passenger side is also the side the car leans towards when you get into it. Plus you look like a pretty big guy so you would think the driver side would have an issue too due to more weight. So things I think could be an issue:
The IRS is slightly off towards the pass side. From what I have read there isn't much you can do. I'd talk to Bruce and see if he has any ideas
The spring or shock on that side is a little worn and not doing its job. You already run a pretty stiff spring, maybe swap sides and see if the rubbing swaps too? I don't think coil overs are the answer nor would I suggest them
The wheel is off. Steve has already confirmed it isn't, so I'd check that off the list
Your alignment is off but you posted a pic and its already at -1.3 which is far enough

So I'd say it's either a spring or shock issue. They make airbags to put inside a spring to help the car from torquing over too much but if its happening often I'd say that isn't the answer. Before you buy parts I'd switch my springs and shocks to the opposite sides and see.

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
^^Thats how you adjust rear camber during an alignment. I dont see how that could affect tire wear....

It is an eccentric bolt. It can be seen here on FTBR's site.
http://www.fulltiltboogieracing.com/FT 1050.htm

IMO, thats not the way to fix the issue. Raise the car up. You can run MM poly ISO's which are slightly stiffer and thicker, which will raise the car up a little bit, 1/4"-1/2".
My car already sits kinda high, there is a lot of gap between fender and tires. I'll get up another picture.

Brady according to your alignment sheet your already at -1.3 camber so that can't go any further. The reason I ask about camber is the moves the top of the tire/wheel in and out. Some shops, depending who you used may have left it very positive causing the top of the wheel to stick out. But unfortunately for you, where yours are at it pretty much far enough.
So is the camber okay? It almost looks like the top of that tire leans in a bit towards car.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
If its only the passenger side then something is wrong over there. The passenger side is also the side the car leans towards when you get into it. Plus you look like a pretty big guy so you would think the driver side would have an issue too due to more weight. So things I think could be an issue:
The IRS is slightly off towards the pass side. From what I have read there isn't much you can do. I'd talk to Bruce and see if he has any ideas
The spring or shock on that side is a little worn and not doing its job. You already run a pretty stiff spring, maybe swap sides and see if the rubbing swaps too? I don't think coil overs are the answer nor would I suggest them
The wheel is off. Steve has already confirmed it isn't, so I'd check that off the list
Your alignment is off but you posted a pic and its already at -1.3 which is far enough

So I'd say it's either a spring or shock issue. They make airbags to put inside a spring to help the car from torquing over too much but if its happening often I'd say that isn't the answer. Before you buy parts I'd switch my springs and shocks to the opposite sides and see.

Not a bad idea, I have was thinking of buying a new oem shock, but maybe swapping parts from one side to the other is an option.

94slowbra1

Established Member
id personally like to know the problem before i start tossing new parts and money at it. both springs and shocks arent too expensive but id verify first. id hate to get rid of those pretty TF wheels due to a bad spring or shock. dont give up on it

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
id personally like to know the problem before i start tossing new parts and money at it. both springs and shocks arent too expensive but id verify first. id hate to get rid of those pretty TF wheels due to a bad spring or shock. dont give up on it

I suppose your right. I did have a leaky front strut when my car only had 23k miles. I've never replaced a shock what's all involved? If I replace one, should I do the other side?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
And it seems it's been getting worse, this tells me something isn't right. Hopefully I can look into it more this weekend. I'm not sure if it's rubbing that bad now going out of my driveway or if it was a 3rd gear pull at 3k rpms.

94slowbra1

Established Member
It's not just milage but time. If they are factory shocks they are approaching 13 years old. Rears replacement is straight forward. And yes do both at the same time.
I just ordered bilstein b8 (cobra r shocks) today for $93 per shock. Can't beat that. Should be a huge improvement over my 13 year old factory shocks with almost 70k on them.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
It's not just milage but time. If they are factory shocks they are approaching 13 years old. Rears replacement is straight forward. And yes do both at the same time.
I just ordered bilstein b8 (cobra r shocks) today for $93 per shock. Can't beat that. Should be a huge improvement over my 13 year old factory shocks with almost 70k on them.

Why those shocks over oem? I'm checking things out right now. I don't notice anything of the obvious so far.

94slowbra1

Established Member
There are a few people that run them here and love them. They are a little faster than the OEM shocks and are good for higher rate springs like the h&r race and similar. I want my car to handle great so I'm giving them a try. I'm going to pair them with bilstein HD up front.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
And it seems it's been getting worse, this tells me something isn't right. Hopefully I can look into it more this weekend. I'm not sure if it's rubbing that bad now going out of my driveway or if it was a 3rd gear pull at 3k rpms.

Place a floor jack under the rear lower control arm. Open your trunk pull the interior liners that go over the wheel well. Get two wrenches, preferebly one ratcheting wrench, loosen the nut with ratcheting wrench while using a open end of another wrench to hold the square looking piece on top of the shock. Once out lower the jack slowly, then loosen the bolt and nut that hold the the lower part of the shock in and out it goes. Reverse for install easy man I did it that way on my old 01 Cobra I used to have. Good luck hopefully you get it figured out. I would try too before you going by shocks to make sure that would be the reason.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
There are a few people that run them here and love them. They are a little faster than the OEM shocks and are good for higher rate springs like the h&r race and similar. I want my car to handle great so I'm giving them a try. I'm going to pair them with bilstein HD up front.

Where did you buy them from? I may try those, but leave my stock struts.

Place a floor jack under the rear lower control arm. Open your trunk pull the interior liners that go over the wheel well. Get two wrenches, preferebly one ratcheting wrench, loosen the nut with ratcheting wrench while using a open end of another wrench to hold the square looking piece on top of the shock. Once out lower the jack slowly, then loosen the bolt and nut that hold the the lower part of the shock in and out it goes. Reverse for install easy man I did it that way on my old 01 Cobra I used to have. Good luck hopefully you get it figured out. I would try too before you going by shocks to make sure that would be the reason.

Awesome sounds pretty straight forward. So do I raise the control arm all the way up, then loose the bolt on the top of shock? Is there anyway to test a bad shock before I buy some?

Rich'sTRsvt

Established Member
You could go with an adjustable shock like the QA1 and then be able to stiffen them up if you are still having tire rub.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
You could go with an adjustable shock like the QA1 and then be able to stiffen them up if you are still having tire rub.

The owner of the shop I've brought my car to recommends those adjustable rear shocks. He said there pricey, but in his opinion the best.

Will those be good with race springs?

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Where did you buy them from? I may try those, but leave my stock struts.

Awesome sounds pretty straight forward. So do I raise the control arm all the way up, then loose the bolt on the top of shock? Is there anyway to test a bad shock before I buy some?

Easy nothing to them. I had my car sitting on jack stands on the rear frame right behind the subframe connectors. I jacked the control arm up till the car almost was starting to lift off the stand but was still on the stand. I only had the rear of the car on stands not the front. You can try pushing down on the car and see if it bounces up or down a few times I think its only supposed to once. Id be to afraid to put a dent in my car doing that. Mine were leaking and had high miles on my 01 which is why i replaced them.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Easy nothing to them. I had my car sitting on jack stands on the rear frame right behind the subframe connectors. I jacked the control arm up till the car almost was starting to lift off the stand but was still on the stand. I only had the rear of the car on stands not the front. You can try pushing down on the car and see if it bounces up or down a few times I think its only supposed to once. Id be to afraid to put a dent in my car doing that. Mine were leaking and had high miles on my 01 which is why i replaced them.

Okay I don't see that mine are leaking, a lot of dust on them. I have the rear on jack stands right now, but I have it supported under black irs suspension tube looking thing, LOL. Not sure what else to look for.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Okay I don't see that mine are leaking, a lot of dust on them. I have the rear on jack stands right now, but I have it supported under black irs suspension tube looking thing, LOL. Not sure what else to look for.

Google how to test shocks. It's saying you can measure the ride height from each corner, take it for a drive and see if there is excessive squat, or dive when you hit the brakes etc.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Google how to test shocks. It's saying you can measure the ride height from each corner, take it for a drive and see if there is excessive squat, or dive when you hit the brakes etc.

Okay I'll check it out. I tried measuring last night in my garage, but my floor is uneven.

Users who are viewing this thread