Timing chain tensioner help

03sport007

Established Member
I have what I think is timing chain noise on start up. Only happens once and while and only last maybe a second. I run a ford oil filter so that's not it. So this weekend I got brave and removed my timing cover to take a look.

I notice that there is slack on the driverside chain but not on the guide that has the tensioner but on the other side of the chain. All others are very tight. Does that make since?

Also is possible to change the guides and Tensioners without messing up the timing or removing the chains?

Thanks

Quick Strike

Established Member
The tensioners are tightened by oil pressure when the car is running. They will be loose when the engine is not running and only have springs to keep a little tension on them. It is normal for the chains to cycle between loose and tight when the engine is not running as you turn it by hand. The valve train is pulling the chain forward or trying to move it backwards depending on what valves are opening or closing at the time.

You can replace the tensioners without disturbing the timing. Just use a loose point in the cycle and make sure not to move anything until the tensioner is in place and released.

You may want to consider using the earlier tensioners that are metal while you have it apart. I wish I had now that I did not. I have not have any problems, but like replacing parts that can fail with those that don't.

Last edited:

Cobra03SC

Established Member
Like he said, it will appear loose on one side and very tight on the other depending on where it is in the cycle.

racebronco2

Established Member
When turning the engine over the location of the lobes to the followers that is waht makes the chains tight and loose. You can change out to the metal tensioners without disturbing the alignment of the timing components. The metal tensioners have a ratcheting mechanism that will only allow a much smaller chain slack.

Users who are viewing this thread