Time for a new daily driver

bam

Established Member
My car is approaching 230k and my confidence in its reliability is waning.

I'm looking for something RWD/AWD (FWD if torque-steer is minimal) and 5- or 6-speed ideally, with decent gas mileage and a good track record for reliability. Something I'll enjoy driving daily a must, as is a car in which I can make an occasional 500-mile trip in relative comfort. I'll be looking to pay $10,000 maximum for a low-mileage example.

Cars I've got an eye on are:

-second-generation Toyota MR2 (both n/a and turbo)
-Miata (both n/a and Mazdaspeed)
-Mazdaspeed Protege
-fifth-generation Prelude
-WRX
-Nissan 240SX
-SN95 Cobra, 99+ GT, LX Fox
-the occasional Mazdaspeed 6, Legacy GT and S2000 that pops up in my price range

There are obvious compromises on this list, but I'm flexible on most counts except for reliability and fun factor as well as a manual transmission.

What other cars should I be looking into?

1QUICK10TH

Just A GT
Established Member
Lexus is300 nails everything on that list, not to mention when it gets to 230k you got atleast 100k more before you have to worry

Last edited:

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member
Used 5.7 hemi charger magnum or 300 they have auto but good gas mileage and comfort.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
WRX by a wide margin if you're looking for something with much better than average performance.

vettez062002

baller on a budget
Established Member
LGT limited.. same thing as wrx but less money on insurance. better ride. more options. better chance of getting a stock one that hasnt been killed...just a better car overall

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
2002-2004 hyundai elantra GT SEDAN 5spd-$3300
must get the sedan so the hatch does not squeak....
$30 EBAY SRI
$35 shifter bushings(same as lancer evo trans)
$60 UD pulley
$40 new belts for UD pulley
$250 KYB struts(4)
$250 h&r springs(4)
$85 18mm tiburon rear sway bar and frame bushings
$90 SS brake lines(4)
$350 205/55r15's(4)

TOTAL=$4490
take rest and get hookers and coke and enjoy life...

this equals one of the funniest/most entertaining cars ive ever driven. it sounds stupid but with 4 doors, FWD, and 5spd with a very low weight(2601lbs with me in it) its a blast to drive and gets great gas mileage. you can zip around in an traffic and not get looked at by the 5-0. insurance is a joke as the car is a hyundai and cost absolutely nothing to insure.

it sounds stupid but you gotta drive one before you totally trash it. i have 90k on mine now and i have never had any issues at all besides flat tires and the aftermarket sunroof which i did not put in. comes with power windows, leather and 15" alloys and 4 wheel disc brakes and i get on average 38mpg. the parts are cheap for it if you do ever break anything.

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I would add a 2004 SVT Focus to that list, actually that's the only one I had on my want list (after my research)................ I love this little car!
It's more comfortable to drive than my other 04 SVT, and though without a doubt it is slower it does handles better.

The 04 is rated to have the least problems of all the SVT Focus model years, though they are getting harder to find if you have to find a car quickly. I bought mine with 127,000 on it and planned on immediately putting a timing belt and all the idlers and tensioners on it. I prefer Fords obviously. I believe the foreign stuff is over rated and over priced for the actual quality that ends up in your driveway.

ragingclue

Semper Gumby
Established Member
Wow that's a list of a lot of cars which are oft abused. So, reliability is going to be a toss up unless you inspect thoroughly and such.

The answer to this question on previous forums I've been on seems to always be E36 M3, but if you're not maintaining it yourself, then it can get expensive. Also, they're old as dirt and decent examples are getting hard to come by. However, the one I had was an absolute riot to drive, and not as unreliable as ///M has a reputation of being (partly due to the fact that we got the dumbed-down non-///M motor here in the states).

But if restricted to the list you've provided, I'd have to say WRX.

bam

Established Member
Wow that's a list of a lot of cars which are oft abused. So, reliability is going to be a toss up unless you inspect thoroughly and such.

The answer to this question on previous forums I've been on seems to always be E36 M3, but if you're not maintaining it yourself, then it can get expensive. Also, they're old as dirt and decent examples are getting hard to come by. However, the one I had was an absolute riot to drive, and not as unreliable as ///M has a reputation of being (partly due to the fact that we got the dumbed-down non-///M motor here in the states).

But if restricted to the list you've provided, I'd have to say WRX.

I'm not in a rush; it's just time to start looking while the car still has some trade-in value. I have time to wait for the right car, and I'm realizing that I'll have to be patient to find an unmolested example of many of these; I am certainly open to cars not on that list.

E36 M3- I'd love one but I don't have a lot of faith in it as a DD.

bam

Established Member
I would add a 2004 SVT Focus to that list, actually that's the only one I had on my want list (after my research)................ I love this little car!
It's more comfortable to drive than my other 04 SVT, and though without a doubt it is slower it does handles better.

The 04 is rated to have the least problems of all the SVT Focus model years, though they are getting harder to find if you have to find a car quickly. I bought mine with 127,000 on it and planned on immediately putting a timing belt and all the idlers and tensioners on it. I prefer Fords obviously. I believe the foreign stuff is over rated and over priced for that actual quality that ends up in your driveway.
Noted :beer:

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
It might be difficult to find one for $10,000 with low mileage but I will add the Hyundai Genesis Coupe.
I think this car would meet all of your requirements:

- RWD
- 6 Speed
- Great warranty and build quality
- 2.0L Turbo (210 hp, 223 lb·ft) or 3.8L NA (306 hp, 266 lb·ft)
- 0–60 mph in under 6 seconds (3.8L)

800px-2010_Hyundai_Genesis_Coupe_4_--_08-28-2009.jpg

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
It might be difficult to find one for $10,000 with low mileage but I will add the Hyundai Genesis Coupe.
I think this car would meet all of your requirements:

- RWD
- 6 Speed
- Great warranty and build quality
- 2.0L Turbo (210 hp, 223 lb·ft) or 3.8L NA (306 hp, 266 lb·ft)
- 0–60 mph in under 6 seconds (3.8L)

800px-2010_Hyundai_Genesis_Coupe_4_--_08-28-2009.jpg

Even a 1st year stripped down model will be way over $10k.

Users who are viewing this thread