Ticket for revving engine...?

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Maybe the event needs to be moved to another location where the locals and authorities are more thankful for visitors and support of the local economy instead of the out-of-town treatment.

You are correct, it is a shame that a town expects people who dont live there to actually abide by their laws and ordinances. How dare they. :rolleyes:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Maybe the event needs to be moved to another location where the locals and authorities are more thankful for visitors and support of the local economy instead of the out-of-town treatment.

Do you even consider WHY they have that ordinance? Did it ever occur to you and some of the others in this thread that it is because the locals get tired of asshole drivers and bikers coming in for their fun and reving their engines at all hours of the night?

Let's assume they move it to another location, how long do you think it would be before the locals in the new place enact the exact same law, if they don't already have one?

That is the problem with people like you, absolutely no respect for the locals, you expect to come into town spread your noise, trash and everything else that comes with an event like this with no consequenses and then leave the clean up to those that live there. And when you get caught doing something stupid you whine and cry about how they spoiled your fun. :bash:

Last edited:

foofinator

Engineer/Lawyer
Established Member
So, the officer's willingness to help you out with the fine is a smug remark. Plenty of people are in that area from out of state for long periods of time or frequently return, therefore he had no reason to believe you wouldnt want to show up in court.

Further, since this is a civil violation "intent" is not a necessity for the finding of guilty. What are your grounds for appeal? Just because you dont like the outcome is not a ground for appeal, nor does it change the facts. Also, the DA (district attorney) would not help you appeal the judge's ruling.

"civil violation "intent" is not a necessity for the finding of guilty"

.. You mean, strict liability crime. :beer:

FordSVTFan

Established Member
"civil violation "intent" is not a necessity for the finding of guilty"

.. You mean, strict liability crime. :beer:

Nope, I mean a civil violation. In civil traffic violations there is no element of intent. But thanks for playing lawyer.

foofinator

Engineer/Lawyer
Established Member
Nope, I mean a civil violation. In civil traffic violations there is no element of intent. But thanks for playing lawyer.

Traffic violations are in general strict liability offenses, that is what you meant. Should not be spreading incorrect information. -- Top 5% JD candidate. Love the avatar.

Last edited:

GokartMozart315

Established Member
Do you even consider WHY they have that ordinance? Did it ever occur to you and some of the others in this thread that it is because the locals get tired of asshole drivers and bikers coming in for their fun and reving their engines at all hours of the night?

Let's assume they move it to another location, how long do you think it would be before the locals in the new place enact the exact same law, if they don't already have one?

That is the problem with people like you, absolutely no respect for the locals, you expect to come into town spread your noise, trash and everything else that comes with an event like this with no consequenses and then leave the clean up to those that live there. And when you get caught doing something stupid you whine and cry about how they spoiled your fun. :bash:

i haven't been to mustang week, but an event of that size usually brings a lot of business to the host area. a town like myrtle beach owes a lot of commerce to cars with loud engines, and the fun that their drivers get from revving them. only an ungrateful town would institute such ordinances. myrtle beach is known as a party town, so it's an inappropriate place to have such draconian restrictions anyway, especially with such high attached fines

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
i haven't been to mustang week, but an event of that size usually brings a lot of business to the host area. a town like myrtle beach owes a lot of commerce to cars with loud engines, and the fun that their drivers get from revving them. only an ungrateful town would institute such ordinances. myrtle beach is known as a party town, so it's an inappropriate place to have such draconian restrictions anyway, especially with such high attached fines
:rollseyes :rollseyes :rollseyes :bored:

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Traffic violations are in general strict liability offenses, that is what you meant. Should not be spreading incorrect information. -- Top 5% JD candidate. Love the avatar.

You might want to rethink your "spreading incorrect information" line and look up Pennsylvania law. Texas happens to be one of the few states where all traffic violations are criminal in nature, but it is the minority. Therefore, my answer stands and is absolutely correct.

Strict Liability specifically applies to Criminal Acts, not civil traffic infractions. You will not find "racing engine" in the Pennsylvania Criminal Code. It is a civil infraction, pure and simple. In the vast majority of states, including the OPs, most traffic infractions are civil in nature. Therefore, no mens rea is necessary only actus reus.

Signed: JD Valedictorian, ranked #1. Summa Cum Laude Graduate. Member of the Bar in three Jurisdictions.

Prosecutor = 1
Law Student = 0

BTW, how did it take you 11 edits to post that?

txyaloo

Established Member
So you really think that it was that horrible?

I didn't say it was horrible. I said I thought it was good you deleted it.

Might want to go read Barry's post in Roadside again. I suspect that applies outside of Roadside as well...

foofinator

Engineer/Lawyer
Established Member
You might want to rethink your "spreading incorrect information" line and look up Pennsylvania law. Texas happens to be one of the few states where all traffic violations are criminal in nature, but it is the minority. Therefore, my answer stands and is absolutely correct.

Strict Liability specifically applies to Criminal Acts, not civil traffic infractions. You will not find "racing engine" in the Pennsylvania Criminal Code. It is a civil infraction, pure and simple. In the vast majority of states, including the OPs, most traffic infractions are civil in nature. Therefore, no mens rea is necessary only actus reus.

Signed: JD Valedictorian, ranked #1. Summa Cum Laude Graduate. Member of the Bar in three Jurisdictions.

Prosecutor = 1
Law Student = 0

BTW, how did it take you 11 edits to post that?

Checking my sources and calling my public defender friend. :beer:

Thanks for the information.

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
I didn't say it was horrible. I said I thought it was good you deleted it.

Might want to go read Barry's post in Roadside again. I suspect that applies outside of Roadside as well...

Don't worry. I'm not a moron. I still don't think my post violated Barry's reminder. I edited my post out of respect to FSVTF. Sorta like how I probably won't clutter up this thread by responding anymore in here out of respect for him.

Last edited:

bbk03gt24

Established Member

+1 on that one

Users who are viewing this thread