Ticket for revving engine...?

Teej281

Established Member
Hey all,
First time in here, so I apologize if I do not follow procedure for posting or anything. I was down to Mustang Week at Myrtle Beach for the whole week. And almost every night I found myself out cruising down the strip with some friends. Every night when I saw an LEO, I made sure to thank them for their help and to stay safe. One officer even asked me on the first night that people went cruising "Why are there all these mustangs down here this week?" Many of the LEO's I spoke to were very kind and polite, even though I was just another young man driving a Mustang.

Now onto the concern I have. It was on the Friday night after the big car show, and I was cruising down Ocean Blvd and a father and son were standing along side the road and they were all excited taking pictures of my car. The little boy, couldnt have been more than 5 years old, shouted out to me "NICE CAR!" and I said thank you. At this point, I thought it might make his and his father's night to rev it up to hear what my car sounded like. So I proceded to rev it up for them. Mind you, my car is probably the quietest mustang at mustang week, as I have some decent mufflers and cats still on the car. So after I revved it up, I continued my cruise up Ocean Blvd and about a tenth of a mile later...an LEO that was riding a bike pulled up beside me and almost hit my car and told me to park it.

Now, this LEO was not very polite and he was very arrogant while dealing with me. And I read the rules and said no jabs or insults towards LEO's, and I by no means intend this as an insult, but more of a disappointment compared to the other officers I had spoken to throughout the week being so pleasant. And I by no means was being uncooperative. Had my license, reg card, and insurance card in hand before he walked up to the car. He asked me the question "Sir, is there a reason why you were racing your engine?" I followed that with a respectful answer of "Yes sir, there was a young boy and his father who were admiring my car, and I thought they might enjoy hearing how it sounded." The LEO continued with a question "And what would have happened if you would have popped the clutch while 'racing' your engine?" And I respectfully replied "Nothing officer, the car was in neutral." And without saying another word, he walked to the rear of my car and wrote me a ticket.

The ticket, under the offense line he wrote the following:

"Racing Engine"

Now here is where I am confused. With anything "racing", there is typically a competition at hand, correct?

The LEO informed me that the ticket was a non-moving violation, so there is no points. But the ticket was issued to me at a pricetag of $262!!!

Now I have never even heard of a fine that large in PA, where I live! If I were closer to SC, I'd make the drive down and show up in court and fight the ticket. I was talking to the State HOR representative for my area, who is a close family friend. He advised me to write a letter to the precinct and ask if there is any laws(of which I cannot find online to reference...if you can help, that'd be awesome!) of which I broke and if it had anything to do with noise, if there was a decibel reading of which the LEO had that he forgot to write on the ticket, if I could receive that information.

Also, SC's tickets are confusing as hell to read! Here in PA, the citations have everything broken down as for how the funds from the citation is allocated, how to go about paying the fine, and everything. The directions on the back of the ticket about how to pay the ticket are very confusing. Here in PA, we must plead guilty or not guilty within 10 days of the citation, and there were no such directions. Also, the officer did not circle anything on if a court appearance was mandatory or not, so if it is, I'm kinda screwed as I wasnt planning on making that journey. Also, says if youre mailing in the fine that you must send money order, certified check, or secure form of payment to the court listed on your ticket. The LEO listed the court as "Judge". It does have an address, but I'd feel slightly ridiculous sending an envelope or money order to "Judge" without having any other information of which to fill out the check or money order to.

Sorry gentlemen for the lengthy post, I am just confused at what to do here. I have court today for my first speeding ticket ever, for a 37 in a 25mph zone, of which there was no leniency offered. My uncle is an LEO near where I live and he was surprised they even stopped me for it. I know I was wrong, but I am planning on going into court just to see if I can get the points dropped, even if that means paying a more substantial fine.

Thank you gentlemen for all your help! And to all the LEO's out there, thank you for your service and stay safe! :beer:

Teej

Last edited:

txyaloo

Established Member
You were cited for violating a city ordinance:

Sec. 12-15. Racing engines.
It shall be unlawful in the city for any person to race the engine of any motor vehicle while such vehicle is not in motion, except when necessary to do so in the course of repairing, adjusting or testing the same.

"Racing engines" also falls under the public nuisance code. They're both non-moving violations. It sounds like you broke the ordinance.

I don't see a reason for mailing payment. Just use their online payment system. It should be easier. I suspect they want payment mailed to "judge" because they have multiple judges that handle their municipal courts. That is a bit strange, though.

Process OnLine Payments

Also, I'm not sure what's confusing about the ticket. It looks like a pretty standard hand written citation.

cityCountyTicket.png

Teej281

Established Member

"Racing engines" also falls under the public nuisance code. They're both non-moving violations. It sounds like you broke the ordinance.

I don't see a reason for mailing payment. Just use their online payment system. It should be easier. I suspect they want payment mailed to "judge" because they have multiple judges that handle their municipal courts. That is a bit strange, though.

Process OnLine Payments

Also, I'm not sure what's confusing about the ticket. It looks like a pretty standard hand written citation.

cityCountyTicket.png

Hey man, thanks for the information! It would make sense to view ordinances and traffic laws in the states youre visiting, but it really doesnt ever cross your mind before travelling! And being that I'm out of state and do not know the information at all, you would think that a warning could have been issued. But oh well. I think that ticket is confusing due to the fact that the instructions on the back about payment for the ticket is strange. Also, where at on the ticket would I find the case number? Would it be where the ticket pictured says 0000xx at the bottom?

I was hoping there was an online payment option. Just glad that I didnt get any points! The fine bothers me a bit for something so minor, as speeding tickets up here are nowhere near as expensive. This ticket was more expensive than trying to purchase alcohol underage! I digress. The fine has me bothered a bit for such an offense, but I'll pay it and move on with my life I guess. I just wish that the officer would have told me that it was a broken ordinance of the city and that I wouldnt have spent so much time looking through the SCDMV and the DOT to try to find it. I remembered that it was 12-15, just thought it was something state-wide not just for MB.

Again, thanks for the info! I really do appreciate it! And I'm going to talk to the people that organize Mustang Week and let them know they should include a copy of all local ordinances that have to do with vehicles and engine and exhaust and such so this doesnt happen again from lack of knowledge! :D

Dont rev your engine on the streets of Myrtle Beach guys, especially during Mustang Week!

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
*removed by moderator*

I bet there are a few slightly off the wall ordinances everywhere you go. Even in non-commie states. :lol1: But I agree, some more than others

Kinda ironic the "quiet" mustang gets popped though. :shrug: Just your bad luck OP.

262 seems pretty steep for that but fines vary drastically... I just posted a Delaware speeding code in another thread that states the fines start at 20 bucks. :eek:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I just removed a bunch of posts from this thread.

READ THE RULES.

Either post constructively and on topic or not at all.

Teej281

Established Member
*removed by moderator - read the rules and follow them when posting*

Well I live in PA and a trip down to MB is 10 hours one way for me, so that wouldnt happen. I just cant believe his smug remark walking away from the car. I forgot to post that in his walk back to his bike he said "Now if you show up for court, I can help with the fine." Now who in their right mind, unless they knew they could get off of the ticket scot-free would they waste $200 in gas and $100 on a hotel to have the fine dropped slightly, as there were no points involved.

I wouldnt have just sat there quiet as that would have given him a reason to be more stern. I was trying to be helpful and give the officer all the information he requested to aid him, in hopes that he would let me off.

BTW, I just had court for my very first speeding ticket ever today. 12mph over, and I took it to court to ask the judge's mercy and that it was unintentional and that I was following the flow of traffic. Welp, off to the DA's office to appeal his ruling. He heard my side, said "Intention is not necessary for a guilty ruling" and finished by saying that I can see the window to setup a payment plan or pay the fine. I requested information to appeal and thats where I'm going with it. I'm just looking for points to come off. I dont care if the fine goes up! I'd rather pay the state more money, as that money goes to support people who risk their lives everyday, rather than some big wigs at an insurance company every year. :beer:

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Umm, don't you watch CSI, etc.?

I can see that episode now. Officer has decibel meter running while riding bicycle. Hears OP rev engine. :dw: Gets in hawt pursuit on his Schwinn. Drops decibel meter. Uh oh! No evidence for court now! DANG! :nonono: Call CSI and have them sweep a two block radius for witnesses and said decibel meter. Reconstruct crime scene, find meter, analyze in mutli-million dollar lab, get all ready for big court day with OP only to realize he prepaid. :lol:

FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!! :mj:

:lol:

Sounds like something that a city would have as an ordinance because it's such a popular tourist attraction. Glad there wasn't any points for it OP.

Last edited:

Teej281

Established Member

Process OnLine Payments

cityCountyTicket.png

Where at on this ticket can I find the case number so I may pay my fine online and get this thing taken care of. I think I'm going to wait until Monday and see if I can take care of it then, since the American Muscle car show is coming up and I may want some parts. lol

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
Umm, don't you watch CSI, etc.?

Now you stop it, there are enough people on here who believe that crap, somebody's gonna quote you later and say "see, this officer said it's true" :lol1:

The officer had the encounter recorded on his bicycle mounted video anyway, it stores decibel levels of revving engines. And before anyone says it, due to him being on a bike the hat clause doesn't apply.

Teej281

Established Member
Anyone know where the case number might be on my ticket? If not, how do I go about finding how to get it to pay this thing?

rudyrivera1189

Established Member
That's definitely a steep fine. If I'm not mistaken on the top of the ticket you should see 4 sections. Court ID, Municipal Prefix, Ticket Number, and your Plate Number. That's how it is in NJ so it may be different for every state.

Check out this site - Court Payments You should be able to pay it there.

I just recently got a ticket for speeding and "excessively loud muffler".

If you lived closer I would say fight the ticket but it may not be worth the drive. You might as well just bite the bullet and pay for it.

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Well I live in PA and a trip down to MB is 10 hours one way for me, so that wouldnt happen. I just cant believe his smug remark walking away from the car. I forgot to post that in his walk back to his bike he said "Now if you show up for court, I can help with the fine." Now who in their right mind, unless they knew they could get off of the ticket scot-free would they waste $200 in gas and $100 on a hotel to have the fine dropped slightly, as there were no points involved.

I wouldnt have just sat there quiet as that would have given him a reason to be more stern. I was trying to be helpful and give the officer all the information he requested to aid him, in hopes that he would let me off.

BTW, I just had court for my very first speeding ticket ever today. 12mph over, and I took it to court to ask the judge's mercy and that it was unintentional and that I was following the flow of traffic. Welp, off to the DA's office to appeal his ruling. He heard my side, said "Intention is not necessary for a guilty ruling" and finished by saying that I can see the window to setup a payment plan or pay the fine. I requested information to appeal and thats where I'm going with it. I'm just looking for points to come off. I dont care if the fine goes up! I'd rather pay the state more money, as that money goes to support people who risk their lives everyday, rather than some big wigs at an insurance company every year. :beer:

So, the officer's willingness to help you out with the fine is a smug remark. Plenty of people are in that area from out of state for long periods of time or frequently return, therefore he had no reason to believe you wouldnt want to show up in court.

Further, since this is a civil violation "intent" is not a necessity for the finding of guilty. What are your grounds for appeal? Just because you dont like the outcome is not a ground for appeal, nor does it change the facts. Also, the DA (district attorney) would not help you appeal the judge's ruling.

chris1badL

Established Member
Anyone know where the case number might be on my ticket? If not, how do I go about finding how to get it to pay this thing?

I got one last year when I was down for mustang week. Mine was also $262 so you aren't the only one to get them. Cops hide behind hotels where there are a100 people wanting you to rev. Yea, I know I'm a dumbass for doing it. Peer pressure gets the best of you when people are talking shit cause you didn't. Just get a money order and send it to the address he wrote on the ticket. No points, just a good way to get money before the place is a ghost town over the winter.

Teej281

Established Member
So, the officer's willingness to help you out with the fine is a smug remark. Plenty of people are in that area from out of state for long periods of time or frequently return, therefore he had no reason to believe you wouldnt want to show up in court.

Further, since this is a civil violation "intent" is not a necessity for the finding of guilty. What are your grounds for appeal? Just because you dont like the outcome is not a ground for appeal, nor does it change the facts. Also, the DA (district attorney) would not help you appeal the judge's ruling.

That was in reference to my speeding ticket in my local area. My uncle is a cop and he said that if you appeal the ruling from the magistrate that it will likely end up saving me some points.

The end of that post was not about the MB incident. And when I say smug, it wasnt what he said that was smug. It was how he said it and the look on his face as I was watching him as he walked back and he said it over his shoulder with a grin on his face. Trust me, I understand that remark in and of itself is quite nice, but its how he said it. Like I've said, none of this is in any way disrespectful, as I know you LEO's put your lives on the line for my safety everyday. I just find it disrespectful how I was treated in the situation.

All in all, I'm paying it and I was just trying to find out some background on the violation and ask how one would go about paying it.

Thanks guys! I feel as if I shouldnt post in here often because I cannot clarify whats going on in my head and I come across as being a typical arrogant kid with a mustang, when I'm just trying to accurately portray what proceeded that night and get peoples opinions on the speeding ticket as well.

Like I said, I'm fine paying a fine. I just really dont want points on my license.

You all take it easy. I wont bother you with my issues anymore. :beer:

kent1

Established Member
Maybe the event needs to be moved to another location where the locals and authorities are more thankful for visitors and support of the local economy instead of the out-of-town treatment.

Users who are viewing this thread