"Tick Fix" without replacing the head?

POINTCOVER

Established Member
I just got my Cobra back last night from the dealer. The service manager told be they contacted SVT and put my Cobra through a series of tests. They made some adjustments (re-torqued the heads?) and it solved the problem. Well...he's right. The tick is seems to be gone.

They also replaced the o2 sensor which was causing the engine light to come on. Hopefully this is it....my problems are solved.

Special thanks to J.D. at Sheehy Ford in MD. Thanks for being helpful and honest.

TRBO VNM

Vic,

glad you got that taken care of...guess the trade in might not happen if this solved those issues? Rick at Amazon mentioned to me about the retorque, but I can't remember exactly what needed to be torq'ed. I think it had to do with the cams, but I could be wrong.

anyway, let me know if you need anything.

POINTCOVER

Established Member
Thanks Jason.

I think I'm going to keep her. I'm gonna call Steve today and thank him for all his help. Again thanks for all the advise.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Originally posted by WUTWINE
...I can't remember exactly what needed to be torq'ed. I think it had to do with the cams...
A number of tick cases have been solved by checking the torque on the cam ladders. Do a search in this forum for "cam ladders" and you'll get quite a few hits.

-Greg

SVTADVISOR

The Cobra Doctor
Established Member
Hope that works for you! We've done all that for the last year and half and it has'nt kept a car fixed yet. The only "fix" has been putting a head on and hoping that the tick doesn't come back.

Smrgol

I had the hot tick on my '03 and re-torquing the cam towers solved it. That was 15k miles ago.

SVTADVISOR

The Cobra Doctor
Established Member
Glad that worked for you. I wish it would have worked for us on all these other cars!

rcrx66

Established Member
POINTCOVER

Mine when in for the exact same thing yesterday. They're supposed to re-torque the cam caps and check the inside of the cam cover and shave if needed. We'll see what happens. I do hope it take care of the problem permanently and I'll post accordingly. Good luck with your "tick fix".

Out of curiousity, how long did they keep your Cobra?

SVTADVISOR

I know you've dealt with this "tick" issue numerous time, so I have to ask, if you know. What exactly is causing the new, redesigned head, to have the "tick". The old head, if I'm correct, had a desigh flaw with the cooling passage. Is this still the issue? Thanks in advance.

nuxx

Established Member
Originally posted by rcrx66

SVTADVISOR

I know you've dealt with this "tick" issue numerous time, so I have to ask, if you know. What exactly is causing the new, redesigned head, to have the "tick". The old head, if I'm correct, had a desigh flaw with the cooling passage. Is this still the issue? Thanks in advance.

I want a head :(
-Peter

SVTADVISOR

The Cobra Doctor
Established Member
SVTADVISOR

I know you've dealt with this "tick" issue numerous time, so I have to ask, if you know. What exactly is causing the new, redesigned head, to have the "tick". The old head, if I'm correct, had a desigh flaw with the cooling passage. Is this still the issue? Thanks in advance. [/B][/QUOTE]

There is no re-designed head. If there was we wouldn't be getting some of these "head ticks" back. The problem with the heads is the valve guide in #7 and #8. Some of the replacement heads are fine some are still having the tick. Luck of the draw!

Nuxx, Which one?

rcrx66

Established Member
There is no re-designed head. If there was we wouldn't be getting some of these "head ticks" back. The problem with the heads is the valve guide in #7 and #8. Some of the replacement heads are fine some are still having the tick. Luck of the draw!
SVTADVISOR
Hate to beat the subject to death, but are you saying that at no point there has ever been a redesigned head?! I know the SVT reps are full of it most of the time with info they give and I also believe what you're saying, but i can't believe they actually lied about replacing the early design heads with "new" ones. By the way what is the problem with the valve guides in #7 and #8?
Thanks again.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
I'm going to re-post the original "tick" TSB for some of the new guys who may have never seen it before...

Article No. 03-11-4 ENGINE - MUSTANG COBRA - TICK NOISE FROM ENGINE - COBRA VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH ENGINES BUILT BEFORE 11/1/2002 ONLY

Publication Date: May 23, 2003

FORD: 2003 MUSTANG

ISSUE:
Some 2003 Mustang Cobra vehicles with engines built before 11/1/2002 may exhibit an unusual engine tick noise that is present at all temperatures during idle. This noise may be due to valve guide wear in the left bank cylinder head. Guide wear manifests itself as a tick noise which can be heard at the rear of LH head, through LH catalyst, at the LH front wheel well and may not be heard with the hood open.

ACTION:
Use the diagnostic procedures listed in this article to evaluate the vehicle condition and replace the cylinder head if applicable. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

In order to diagnose noise, the following items must be checked.

- Verify noise by placing a stethoscope on the back of the left head near the exhaust ports.

- Verify that the noise is heard in the left side exhaust system (left side wheel well or catalytic converter, from underneath the vehicle).

- Try to isolate the noise by canceling the cylinders, by unplugging the injectors one at a time (start with #8 cylinder).

- Verify that there are no exhaust manifold leaks.

- Check to make sure that the camshaft spacers are in place. If not, install cam spacers (per Workshop Manual Section 303-01C) and retest vehicle.

- Check for proper cam sprocket bolt torque, retorque to spec listed in the Workshop Manual Section 303-01C.

- Check for spongy lash adjusters (refer to Section 303-00 in the corresponding Workshop Manual).

- Verify that the timing chain tensioner pin has been removed.

If the above diagnostics does not eliminate the noise while the cylinders are cancelled, and the engine was built prior to 11/1/2002, replace the left side cylinder head and cam assembly with Part Number 3R2Z-6049-GA. Refer to Workshop Manual Section 303-01C for cylinder head replacement procedures.

NOTE: THIS REPLACEMENT CYLINDER HEAD WILL NOT IMPROVE OR REDUCE PERFORMANCE.

PART NUMBER PART NAME:
3R2Z-6049-GA Cylinder Head And Cam Assembly - Left - Cobra Only

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
NONE

WARRANTY STATUS:
INFORMATION ONLY

OASIS CODES:
403000, 497000, 702000, 702100

nuxx

Established Member
Originally posted by SVTADVISOR
SVTADVISOR
Nuxx, Which one?

Shit, I'd take anything right now... let's test a Focus head on my car :beer:
-Peter

trey193

Established Member
I have been told by SVT that there was a new head as well. So SVT Advisor is the tick all about valve guides in 7 and 8? It still seems you arent saying what the actual cause of the tick is with much confidence, and if the guides were bad in all the heads I would think there would be catastrophic guide failure resulting in engine failure eventually thus meaning the guide failing all together and dropping the valve on top of the piston!

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Originally posted by trey193
...It still seems you arent saying what the actual cause of the tick is with much confidence.
That's because Ford doesn't even know for sure what the problem is. And if they do know, they aren't telling dealers what the fix is.

This message was broadcasted to dealers this month. It sure doesn't sound like Ford has a solution yet...

Some 2003-2004 Mustangs with a 4.6l 4-valve engine may exhibit a ticking noise from the cylinder head that can be heard coming from the wheel well area, or when standing next to the vehicle. A light ticking noise is considered normal on this engine. If the noise is determined to be excessive, follow normal diagnostic procedures to determine root cause. Engineering is currently investigating this condition. Monitor oasis for updates.

POINTCOVER

Established Member
Originally posted by Top_Fuel
That's because Ford doesn't even know for sure what the problem is. And if they do know, they aren't telling dealers what the fix is.

This message was broadcasted to dealers this month. It sure doesn't sound like Ford has a solution yet...

Unreal,,,:eek:

SVTADVISOR

The Cobra Doctor
Established Member
Okay lets see if I can get this straightend out. Yes Ford knows what the problem is, No they do not have a new head to fix the problem. They are not currently in production of the 4 valve engine and there are no plans to re-design the cooling around the #7 and #8 cylinders. This valve guide noise will not cause any loss of performance and to my knowledge has never caused any failure of any kind. Its just an irritation. The fix is easy but i dont think Ford is going to do anything other than just replace left side heads unitll they all get fixed. There is a hold on doing the head replacement because Ford supposedly has this concern under investigation but we believe they are just going to let us just keep putting heads on. The fix would be just to change the valve guides to a different material but since they are not in production we don't think they are going to make any changes.Hope this helps.

i8u

Established Member
Originally posted by SVTADVISOR
Okay lets see if I can get this straightend out. Yes Ford knows what the problem is, No they do not have a new head to fix the problem. They are not currently in production of the 4 valve engine and there are no plans to re-design the cooling around the #7 and #8 cylinders. This valve guide noise will not cause any loss of performance and to my knowledge has never caused any failure of any kind. Its just an irritation. The fix is easy but i dont think Ford is going to do anything other than just replace left side heads unitll they all get fixed. There is a hold on doing the head replacement because Ford supposedly has this concern under investigation but we believe they are just going to let us just keep putting heads on. The fix would be just to change the valve guides to a different material but since they are not in production we don't think they are going to make any changes.Hope this helps.

I couldn't agree more with what you have said. The only way ford will fix the problem is if a class action lawsuit is filed. If that ever happened...... I could see ford changing the valve guide material and adding a passage for the coolant to escape from the rear of the head (apten mod).

Beetle6986

Established Member
Originally posted by Top_Fuel

Top Fuel,
Where did you find this message? I have an 04 with the tick. I didn't know that ford even acknowledged this problem with the 04s.

Users who are viewing this thread