"Tick Fix" without replacing the head?

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Originally posted by Beetle6986
Where did you find this message?...I didn't know that ford even acknowledged this problem with the 04s.
See THIS thread. The original poster (03'Darin) works at a Ford dealership.

-Greg

trey193

Established Member
Advisor now thats relaying some info! I just still dont understand how they can ignore a valve guide problem. Like with the old Twisted Wedge heads they had a guide problem started ticking and in many cases castrophic guide failure resulted and killed a bunch of motors. Really appreciate your last post Advisor thats very informative and finally a real answer and not just beating around the bush!

SVTADVISOR

The Cobra Doctor
Established Member
Originally posted by trey193
Advisor now thats relaying some info! I just still dont understand how they can ignore a valve guide problem. Like with the old Twisted Wedge heads they had a guide problem started ticking and in many cases castrophic guide failure resulted and killed a bunch of motors. Really appreciate your last post Advisor thats very informative and finally a real answer and not just beating around the bush!

There is alot of bad info and hearsay in this site. There is also some good info too. Just hard to figure out who to listen to.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Originally posted by SVTADVISOR
Yes Ford knows what the problem is, No they do not have a new head to fix the problem. The fix is easy but i dont think Ford is going to do anything other than just replace left side heads unitll they all get fixed.
But, if there is no new head design that solves the problem, then replacing a ticking head with a new one is just a crap shoot. The tick may develop on that head as well, correct?

Does anyone feel the Apten Cooling Mod has any merit to preventing the tick? And can it develop over time with increased modifications on higher mileage (12,000+), cars?

SVTADVISOR

The Cobra Doctor
Established Member
Originally posted by IronTerp
But, if there is no new head design that solves the problem, then replacing a ticking head with a new one is just a crap shoot. The tick may develop on that head as well, correct?

Does anyone feel the Apten Cooling Mod has any merit to preventing the tick? And can it develop over time with increased modifications on higher mileage (12,000+), cars?

Yes the replacement head can still develop the tick. So far 3 out of the 25 or so that we have done have come back to have the head re-done again.

My understanding that the Apten mod does not prevent the tick.

rocketman

Established Member
I spoke with SVT this week. He confirmed that there was a new casting of the head back when TSB 3-11-4 came out. The TSB 3-11-4 pertains to the 2002 engine build date. On 6/9/04 there was a special service message that basically said SVT is aware of ticking problem in post 2002 engines. The special service message does not affect eligibility of 2002 engines from being replaced, but it could affect eligibility of post 2002 engines. Wonder if anyone is having problems getting post 2002 engines under warranty since the special service message came out. My 2002 engine is in the shop to get the left head replaced.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Originally posted by rocketman
...On 6/9/04 there was a special service message that basically said SVT is aware of ticking problem in post 2002 engines...
That was the message I posted earlier in this thread. Good to know it had an official release date. I'll have to put that in my notes.

-Greg

Users who are viewing this thread