Throw back Thursday: 1998 Camaro SS vs 1998 Cobra

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Two of my buddies ran and it wasn't even close, both stone stock autos from a roll, 16 GT got its ass gapped by 16 2SS. Now in the 1/4 it was just a few tenths. The 2SS went 12.2 to the GTs 12.5/6.

I'm talking 1/4. I've been 12.3 @ 113 showroom stock auto with my heavy ass driving.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
RE: 6th GEN turds racing each other (16 Camaro SS vs 16 GT).

Got video of my buddies running. The 16 2SS beating the brakes off the 16 GT from a roll

Last edited:

Kiohtee

Established Member
RE: Looks I am inclined to agree with you. Honestly I really don't care for the look of either, but would pick the S550 if looks were the main criteria.

The ONLY reason I bought my Fusion coupe, errr S550 Mustang, is because the interior seems roomier than that of an S197, and there's more room in the back for my rear-facing son.

Otherwise I would be in a Deep Impact Blue '14 GT.

Edit: Just noticed you have a DIB '14 GT! Nice!

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
The ONLY reason I bought my Fusion coupe, errr S550 Mustang, is because the interior seems roomier than that of an S197, and there's more room in the back for my rear-facing son.

Otherwise I would be in a Deep Impact Blue '14 GT.

Edit: Just noticed you have a DIB '14 GT! Nice!

LOL, I love DIB! RE: Interior, the S550 is definitely leaps and bounds and nicer. That alone if almost enough to entice me, but I have a blower now, so I feel like I need to keep it, gotta get out of perpetually trading cars in :D

Kiohtee

Established Member
LOL, I love DIB! RE: Interior, the S550 is definitely leaps and bounds and nicer. That alone if almost enough to entice me, but I have a blower now, so I feel like I need to keep it, gotta get out of perpetually trading cars in :D

As do I. But I am sans any power adder at the moment. :(

I did just order wheels and tires though!

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
@zhisel What wheels and tires did you go with? I lucked out on my Vortech V2 kit, basically stole it for the price I paid. I would have preferred a TVS or Whipple, but did not care to un-ass that much cash.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
@zhisel What wheels and tires did you go with? I lucked out on my Vortech V2 kit, basically stole it for the price I paid. I would have preferred a TVS or Whipple, but did not care to un-ass that much cash.

v2 or v3?

The vortech set up on a Coyote is a great kit. Had a Paxton 2200 on my 2014 at one point.

Kiohtee

Established Member

Just some cheap SVE S500s. 255 fronts and 305 rears. And yeah, I'd love a centri myself. They're deadly in an auto car.

wtk-1007gbg_becb3585.jpg
wtk-1007gbg_103a255f.jpg

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
RE: 6th GEN turds racing each other (16 Camaro SS vs 16 GT).

Got video of my buddies running. The 16 2SS beating the brakes off the 16 GT from a roll

both manuals? The bump in HP and 10spd auto in the 18 will make the race even or in favor of the GT. And I'd put my 16 stock gt up against a stock 16 SS, from a dig. The little car just goes.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
both manuals? The bump in HP and 10spd auto in the 18 will make the race even or in favor of the GT. And I'd put my 16 stock gt up against a stock 16 SS, from a dig. The little car just goes.

They are both auto cars. My buddy with the 16 GT ordered SW longtubes, Corsa exh, CJ mani and E85 tune from Lund not too long after that video. He was not a happy camper.

I am excited for the 18s, those cars are going to scoot. I have a feeling ford was playing a little coy with the 465 number, not that I think its much more, but I bet they put a little more mustard on it than that.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Great throwback video. I've had my 98 Cobra for almost 15 years and it's not going anywhere.
I really enjoy that vid.
The styling definitely goes to the Cobra.

Hmmmm...let's see what looks better...
a Cobra, or a catfish?

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Great throwback video. I've had my 98 Cobra for almost 15 years and it's not going anywhere.
I really enjoy that vid.
The styling definitely goes to the Cobra.

Hmmmm...let's see what looks better...
a Cobra, or a catfish?

I had 94 SN95, always loved the looks of those cobras too, more so than new edge cobras. The 4th gen camaros definitely needed the slp grill, drop and wheels to look right.

SVT_JP

Established Member
My 98 had 4.10's and exhaust, loved that car even if I couldn't hang with the LS1's.....as previously stated, def the better looking car

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

tktlwyr

Established Member
My 97 had 4.10's, C&L cold air/maf, and catback. 13.1x@106. Fun car

I had full bolt-ons (short tube headers and with what was available in 1999), stock motor and was running 12.1s @ 112 at Moroso Motorsports Park in West Palm Beach, FL.

After getting invited by MM&FF to run at their first mod motor shootout at Englishtown, I had too much traction because, well, Englishtown is prepped a little better than Moroso. I snapped the output shaft on my Tremec (went thru a few T-45s previously), twisted the driveshaft, twisted the axle tubes, bent the upper rear control arms to name the major issues. Moser axles and Detroit Locker were fine. :)

Users who are viewing this thread