Throw back Thursday: 1998 Camaro SS vs 1998 Cobra

Kiohtee

Established Member
Awesome throwback! Too bad Chevy is still kicking our tail stock for stock at the moment ('17 GT vs '17 SS). But who cares about stock cars right? Lol

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Can't believe they don't mention the awesome ground clearance on these street machines!
LOL. That was the first thing I noticed with the Cobra.

Yeah, times have surely changed for the better. We're nicely spoiled with mega power and superior handling cars available.

aoc racer

Ford is hella cool
Established Member
When times were simpler. Those were tough times to be a Mustang owner but I recall the price tag on camaro's being higher than that. I recall $30k not including dealer markups. But who cares, some simple mods and you'd be spanking camaro's all day.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Man those were the good'ole days.
I know, right??
I think I paid 30k for my almost fully loaded H.O. '99 Camaro SS with white leather interior. I ordered that car as well. Took 3 months to arrive.
I see you still have one. A modded one at that! I wish I could have kept it, but I traded it in towards the Roush.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I know, right??
I think I paid 30k for my almost fully loaded H.O. '99 Camaro SS with white leather interior. I ordered that car as well. Took 3 months to arrive.
I see you still have one. A modded one at that! I wish I could have kept it, but I traded it in towards the Roush.

I have always been back and forth between GM and Ford camps. I picked up my hugger orange from a guy in San Marcos about 5-6 years ago. Though I have had 2 F-boats new, 99 Formula and 01 NBM Z28 (loaded all the way was 27K). I just can't quit F-bodies or Mustangs, going to always have one, the other, or both :D

FWIW.. I will never get rid of the HO. I get offers occasionally on the HO. The son of the original owner tracked me down a couple years ago wanting to buy it back. Random people have asked to buy it. The 2nd owner tracked me down as well, but took it a step further and stopped by my house wanting buy it. Suffice to say; I keep it locked up in the garage.

Last edited:

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I have always been back and forth between GM and Ford camps. I picked up my hugger orange from a guy in San Marcos about 5-6 years ago. Though I have had 2 F-boats new, 99 Formula and 01 NBM Z28 (loaded all the way was 27K). I just can't quit F-bodies or Mustangs, going to always have one, the other, or both :D
FWIW.. I will never get rid of the HO. I get offers occasionally on the HO. The son of the original owner tracked me down a couple years ago wanting to buy it back. Random people have asked to buy it. The 2nd owner tracked me down as well, but took it a step further and stopped by my house wanting buy it. Suffice to say; I keep it locked up in the garage.
Nice man! I saw a late model TA the other day. Looked and sounded awesome. Had the Fiske FM5's on it and the old school Borla exhaust. (rectangular tips, which I don't like, but it did sound great.)
Definitely keep the HO. I wish I could have have. I think the Ford dealership sold mine in less than a month. It was super clean, super low mileage and never out in rain/snow or wet pavement. Averaged out about a little over 1k miles a year. I had it for 14 years.
Enjoy it brother!

cj428mach

Established Member
When times were simpler. Those were tough times to be a Mustang owner but I recall the price tag on camaro's being higher than that. I recall $30k not including dealer markups. But who cares, some simple mods and you'd be spanking camaro's all day.

I remember those days, its why I switched over from Ford and became an Fbody guy.

A bolt on LT1 would chew up the top dog cobra in those days. It was really bad on the z28 vs gt in 98, lol. I remember one of the car comparisons just being brutal. The Terminator changed all that though, I still remember reading about the 03 Cobra's being unveiled on www.camaroz28.com and there was genuine fear over there.

bunits19714

Established Member
I bought my 02' z/28 in July of 02 @ 0 % and a grand below sticker(under 24,500 out the door), loved that car sold it with only 5500 miles on it in march of 05 - dam divorces-
car ran 13.4 stone stock with 500 miles on it(auto) added a converter and a airbox lid and it would go 12.4-12.5's(on a bfg dr's) and then added a bottle in a bag nitrous kit and it would run 11.4's @118 engaging the torque management mode (making the 3rd gear shift hesitate) I never really feared any terminators back in the day and loved puppy kicking the mach 1's . most term's in summer of 03/04 had only a few mods( and the drivers couldn't drive them)

cj428mach

Established Member
I paid $32k in 2001 for my WS6. Loved the F Bodies

I also remember looking at a 2002 Trans Am WS6 new on a dealer lot with the sticker price of 32k. It kind of blows me away to see the 98 SS was only 24k, either there was a lot of inflation over 4 years or the pontiac version was a lot more expensive.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member

I remember looking at a '99 SS with a $33K sticker, and that wasn't even a markup. That must've been a zero option car they tested.

Man! If only the Mustang still had those tidy dimensions and weight!

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I also remember looking at a 2002 Trans Am WS6 new on a dealer lot with the sticker price of 32k. It kind of blows me away to see the 98 SS was only 24k, either there was a lot of inflation over 4 years or the pontiac version was a lot more expensive.

Pontiac dealers were always proud of them, I do seem to recall WS6s and Firehawks being 32-35K ish. I got my 99 Formula stripper 6spd, cloth for 22K though :D

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Awesome throwback! Too bad Chevy is still kicking our tail stock for stock at the moment ('17 GT vs '17 SS). But who cares about stock cars right? Lol

It's a pretty close race, couple of tenths. Worth not owning the smaller 6th gen. Interior is way too cramped for me. Next year may hedge the mustang with the hp bump and the 10sp auto.

Mine had 4.30s and, ultimately, 4.56s with a 27" tall tire at the track.

My 97 had 4.10's, C&L cold air/maf, and catback. 13.1x@106. Fun car

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
It's a pretty close race, couple of tenths. Worth not owning the smaller 6th gen. Interior is way too cramped for me. Next year may hedge the mustang with the hp bump and the 10sp auto.

Two of my buddies ran and it wasn't even close, both stone stock autos from a roll, 16 GT got its ass gapped by 16 2SS. Now in the 1/4 it was just a few tenths. The 2SS went 12.2 to the GTs 12.5/6.

Users who are viewing this thread