Thoughts On Value (04 Roush Cobra)

saleensc281

Established Member
Currently in the process of putting a deal together for a 04 Roush Cobra (see below)

Ford : Mustang Cobra SVT in Ford | eBay Motors

My bank (USAA) apprises the Cobra at $28,500, based on their value (KBB/NADA) of the car. This is of course was done by taking into consideration the make, model, and mileage. I am unable to find anything proving otherwise to increase the value.

From reviewing the receipts, the Roush has $5400.00 in bolt ons, which you could say would bring the value of the car to $33,900. However we all know bolt-ons do not increase the value of a mustang, at least not according to KBB and NADA.

In his sale post the O/P was offering $37,000. Based on the banks assessment on the value of the car would some of you consider it to be a mustang worth buying? Is $37,000 a good price based on it being a Cobra Roush, its current condition, modifications, and its rarity? Or would you consider it throwing money down the drain? :shrug:

Any helpful thoughts and insights would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

95PGTTech

Established Member
1. Bolt ons add nothing - if anything, they detract from the value slightly of a stock car.
2. Bolt ons on a low mileage low numbers rare car are extremely damaging to the value. You would want this thing as close to stock as possible.

38995 is at least 15K more than you'd pay for a similar miles/condition Cobra. Does being a Roush add 15K to you?

1Bad04Mystic

Established Member
That is a very cool and rare Cobra, but I wouldn't say it is worth 37K. Maybe closer to 30k? But if thats the car you really want...

Maverick-4

Established Member
Not a fan of the roush body kit for the new edge gen but the car looks clean and yeah it's unique due to its rarity, I also value it at around 30k but no more

04SVTMystic

Powered By Cyberdyne
Established Member
I feel the Roush package detracts from the Cobra. 99.9% of Roush Mustangs are converted GTs. If you like the Roush additions, $30k max seems fair as stated above.

nycarpenter

Established Member
Show me a bank that will lend $37,000 for this car. They will only lend x % of value towards the purchase and then you need to pony up the short fall. If USAA is crazy enough to lend $28,500 towards this car maybe you can give them your ocean view property in Omaha as collateral. I would say the car is worth less then a stock dressed 04 with same mileage. Try to sell this car in a year you will be hemorrhaging cash and that's if you find a buyer. Remember no banks touch a 11-12 year old car. Now you need a cash buyer and if you think this car is rare well the cash buyer is an anomaly at best. Run run run as fast as you can :)

Last edited:

mach14604

Established Member
Yeah it is nice. But I would want it like it rolled out of Roush to pay that kind of coin. I think it hurts it a little to have the mods on it. I would do only 30k. Though it is rare.

gt347mustang

Established Member
Unless you're in love with the body style, get a regular cobra.

I personally like the look of a stock 03/04 over that roush.

SVT-FI$H2088

Fi$hmeister
Established Member
28-30k max IMO. No more than that. But it also depends what you want it for. Is it gonna be a frequently used car? Or a garage queen? Best of luck either way.

saleensc281

Established Member
Unless you're in love with the body style, get a regular cobra. I personally like the look of a stock 03/04 over that roush.

I do like the body style, personally I think it looks cool.

28-30k max IMO. No more than that. But it also depends what you want it for. Is it gonna be a frequently used car? Or a garage queen? Best of luck either way.

Yeah, due to the consignment the dealership is not going to budge. This really sucks, I really want the car. Saying goes if you really want something you dont care how much it costs. I am just not really comfortable paying that much for the true value of the car. It would be a frequent driver and not a Sunday driver.

While stock would be preferred for value, I like the mods that have been done to it and plan on doing more. I dont know....what to do.

Also got an eye on a 03 Roush Stage II with 19k and a fully built block with 1k on it. Vortech blower putting down 525rwhp with room to push more. Looks like a real clean car, could use a new paint job since the hood is a shade brighter then the rest of the car. I really like the Cobra though.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
With only 6K miles on it, I would agree that $28K-$30K would be fair. No way would I pay $38K for a Roush Cobra. They're rare, but IMO not highly sought after. JMO though.

SVT-FI$H2088

Fi$hmeister
Established Member
I got you. Your best bet is to get a clean 20-22k regular 03-04 and mod it from there. If you like the Roush look so much, then consider changing the bumpers and such. Should save you lots of coin.

10sec89

Established Member
What's up with the aftermarket fuel rails and braided cross over fuel line? Odd seeing it's showing stock power on the dyno graph and is still wearing a pulley guard.

TRMI8TR

TRMIN8TR
Established Member
Depends on what you want. If you want a Real 'Roush" here's this one. 2004 Ford Mustang Roush Stage 3 Convertible For Sale

If you want a real SVT there's hundreds of them on this site.
I personally prefer to be on the SVT team. It's faster and it looks more aggressive. When I see a Roush I think GT with a body kit from a local import auto shop with 245 HP. When I see SVT on a mustang I get nervous lol...Think abut when it comes time to sell this car. Do you really think you're going to get your $38k back? Most likely not.

dom418

Established Member
No I would not buy it but that's my opinion. To flashy for my taste and IMO not something that would appreciate in value. Rarity has nothing to do with desirability, nobody says oh I wish I has a roush cobra around here. But if you love it, you'll have to put a bigger down payment then.

Look for an original wrapper mystichrome or something. Much more desirable down the road IMHO.

Last edited:

DrakeSnake

Semper Fi
Established Member
I was talking with some friends about this kinda thing the other day. Cobra is a cobra when it comes to kbb or Nada because that's how it came from ford. A Roush is only valued as a GT. Just some food for thought. I could be wrong but any car is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Sent from my LG-P870 using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread