Thoughts on Trading 13 Boss for 13 GT500?

rancid

Established Member
Hopefully this thread doesn't get too "touchy" because I know boss owners are very loyal to their cars (and they should, it is an awesome machine.) I test drove a boss before even ordering my Shelby and planned on getting a Got To Have it Green one and add a blower later on. Decided later to take a leap of faith so I could have a super powerful car with a warranty and am very glad I got the GT500 over the boss. After you add up all the additions to the boss you are close to a GT500 anyways.

The boss is awesome but once you start modifying it with power adders the warranty is out the window. This notion is assuming you leave the GT500 stock though.

swlacobra

too many cars
Established Member
i did this! after trading my 09 gt500 in on a 13 boss i was not happy with it. the 13 500 is a much better looking car,has leather,much better sound system, satellite radio. much more power and a better heavy duty transmission. i put 1200 miles on my boss in 5 months and had enough of it.if you want it you only live once, just do it!!!!

662HP631TQ

Established Member
THE ONLY reason I got the GT500 was because of the 662 and the ability to get a convertible. I think you are fine where you are. If you are going to spend all that on upgrades though.....That may be a different story.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
you dont need a fuel system on a boss if you are going to be making under 700rwhp. i would get a roush blower and aim for about 700rwhp and call it a day.

IcebourgGT500

Established Member
If I were him I'd add the Ford Racing supercharger kit, swap in a brand new Tremec TR6060, make a few suspension changes, and add a nice set of wheels/tires.

In the end you'd have a car that is on par with the GT500 power wise, potentially lighter, with money left over as well.

My feelings as well!! Keep the Boss.

R1Lello

Established Member
that's a big chunk of change - for that difference, you could almost gets some ones 07 or 08 GT500 garage queen with low, low miles..........and maybe even with some mods. Then you'll own 2 stangs. Personally, I won't but life is short.

AUSVT

Established Member
i couldn't part with my BOSS, so i just ordered a 14 GT500 and decided to have both!!

poof100

Established Member
Thanks for all of the replies and thoughts, really appreciate it.

I have not driven a 13/14 GT500 yet but I plan to drive my dad's today as i'm visiting for the weekend. He just got it in mid April. Weather in the northeast has been terrible, but today looks promising.

Regarding the Mods, I would definitely do the TT kit, as it has a lot of potential for growth, plus I can keep the Boss Intake. With the FRPP Whipple or other kits, you lose the Boss Intake. Also, there's potential to add the new CJ intake down the road from the TT CJ they have been testing.

I'd almost definitely have to put in the T56 tranny as I already hate the MT 82 and I'm sure with 700+ hp, it wouldn't last 5 minutes. Regarding the Fuel system upgrades, to me, it's not a requirement, but also good for future supporting power. The standard injector/BAP combo does ok, but the idea of a BAP has always been a bandaid. I'd rather have bigger pumps, lines, etc.

I think right now I'm leaning towards keeping the Boss, but we will see how it goes after I drive my Dad's 13 GT500. His is fully loaded, same options as the car I'm looking at.

Thanks again for the input.

IA Shelby

Established Member
Thanks for all of the replies and thoughts, really appreciate it.

I have not driven a 13/14 GT500 yet but I plan to drive my dad's today as i'm visiting for the weekend. He just got it in mid April. Weather in the northeast has been terrible, but today looks promising.

Regarding the Mods, I would definitely do the TT kit, as it has a lot of potential for growth, plus I can keep the Boss Intake. With the FRPP Whipple or other kits, you lose the Boss Intake. Also, there's potential to add the new CJ intake down the road from the TT CJ they have been testing.

I'd almost definitely have to put in the T56 tranny as I already hate the MT 82 and I'm sure with 700+ hp, it wouldn't last 5 minutes. Regarding the Fuel system upgrades, to me, it's not a requirement, but also good for future supporting power. The standard injector/BAP combo does ok, but the idea of a BAP has always been a bandaid. I'd rather have bigger pumps, lines, etc.

I think right now I'm leaning towards keeping the Boss, but we will see how it goes after I drive my Dad's 13 GT500. His is fully loaded, same options as the car I'm looking at.

Thanks again for the input.

Isn't Jon Lund bringing a new turbo kit to market?

poof100

Established Member
Isn't Jon Lund bringing a new turbo kit to market?

Yes, but I believe Ken and company are still working on testing and I'm not sure they have a release date yet. The Hellion kit is pretty damn nice, but my only hesitation on the Hellion kit is that they use Turbonetics Turbos and not Precision or Garrett. Not a deal breaker. I forget what Ken and Lund and company are using. I think they will have their TT car at the 5.0 Shootout in a few weeks in Norwalk OH, but a few in testing have had issues with Ford's new 5.0 sportsman block.

TEG-84

Established Member
Yes, but I believe Ken and company are still working on testing and I'm not sure they have a release date yet. The Hellion kit is pretty damn nice, but my only hesitation on the Hellion kit is that they use Turbonetics Turbos and not Precision or Garrett. Not a deal breaker. I forget what Ken and Lund and company are using. I think they will have their TT car at the 5.0 Shootout in a few weeks in Norwalk OH, but a few in testing have had issues with Ford's new 5.0 sportsman block.

I spoke to Jeff at Hellion and he stated they used Preision Turbos for the 5.0s

Last edited:

poof100

Established Member
Lets us know how the test drive goes

So let me start off by saying my Dad's 13 GT500 is brand spanking new, only about 100 miles on it, as he just got it in mid April. Between the terrible weather and being away traveling, he hasn't driven it much.

We went for about a 30 min test drive or so. Here are my thoughts compared to my Boss:

-Recaro seats in the GT500 seem "bigger" or not as form fitting. My Boss seats seem to be tighter and hug you more, not sure if this is the Leather versus cloth argument. Also, I do like the Boss steering wheel much better with the all Alcantra instead of the half leather/half suede GT500
- The GT500 immediately felt more like a Muscle Car, bigger, heavier, similar to older Cobras I've had with high HP. My Boss felt a lot "lighter", more connected, especially on the front end, not sure how to explain it better.
- Shifter in the GT500 is much better than the Boss, but it took some time to get used to the difference in the trannys. One BIG difference I found was in the Clutch, release point etc. The Boss clutch is actually a much stiffer feel and much lower release point. The GT500 was very soft, but a very high release point, again took some getting used too but just a different feel between the 2.
- Overall, the Pull is a lot stronger obviously on the Shelby. The torque is dramatically better, but the Boss seems to want to Rev much faster. I actually was surprised at how much I still liked my Boss after driving the GT500. I do LOVE the GT500 axle back. I think this is my next mod, to put the GT500 rear valence on with the GT500 axle back. I thought the Boss sounds good, but the GT500 axle back is nasty. I think in the end, I will probably keep my Boss and put a Turbo kit on it and eventually have to swap in the Magnum T56. In hindsight, I probably should have waited until this time to try and pick up a leftover 13 GT500, but the opportunity was right when I got my Boss and I had the pick of colors at my dealership. I'm definitely not Boss or 5.0 or GT500 sided, I just like fast cars. Hell, I'd own a Z06 if it had a back seat for my kids. I think both the Boss and GT500 have their great qualities and each is different. I definitely would love to drive a Boss with a Whipple to see the comparison on how that pulls versus a new GT500.

Thanks again for everyone's help. I think between the loss I'd take on my Boss, which is about as much as the Turbo kit, I can use that to mod the Boss.

I spoke to Jeff at Hellion and he stated they used Preision Turbos for he 5.0s

That's odd, as the past few kits I've seen, they all had Turbonetics Turbos on them. Maybe those were earlier kits and they switched to Precision Turbos.

Last edited:

Rob Nelson

Established Member
Love your comparison between your Boss and your dads GT500. From driving both myself also, I'd say you were pretty spot on. Either way, they are both SICK cars to own!!!!

Last edited:

04nccobra

Established Member
Isn't the motor in the Boss actually better built (all forged) than the 5.8 in the 500? I don't know but this is what I have heard. If this is the case why not simply bolt up a SC to your present Boss. Your car already has all the handling package prep. The only weak link is the MT82. With a SC you should be at 600 rwhp which is a nice number :)

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Isn't the motor in the Boss actually better built (all forged) than the 5.8 in the 500? I don't know but this is what I have heard. If this is the case why not simply bolt up a SC to your present Boss. Your car already has all the handling package prep. The only weak link is the MT82. With a SC you should be at 600 rwhp which is a nice number :)

Might want to do some more research.

Forged connecting rods vs cast in the Shelby. Not "better built all forged"

That being said...the Shelby engine and Trans can seemingly hold 800hp. How many boss' hold that reliably again?

Don't get me wrong- the boss is an awesome car- but the engine isn't "better" than the 5.8.

04nccobra

Established Member
Might want to do some more research.

Forged connecting rods vs cast in the Shelby. Not "better built all forged"

That being said...the Shelby engine and Trans can seemingly hold 800hp. How many boss' hold that reliably again?

Don't get me wrong- the boss is an awesome car- but the engine isn't "better" than the 5.8.

So in theory the rods in the Boss should be superior? How about the pistons are they not forged as well in the Boss? Again I have no idea. Both have forged cranks I believe.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
First World Problems.... I love it!

I really wish I could have driven both cars before buying the Shelby. I wanted the best and the baddest so its what I ordered, but ive heard a lot of reviews that talk about the Boss being tighter, more in control, and a more rewarding experience when tossed around aggressively.

someone I terested in swapping keys for a day?

RTD

Established Member
Honestly, if your plans involve extensive modification, I'd say neither. You can get a very good deal on a low miles 2011 GT500 (or 2010 if you don't mind the iron block) swap on a big KB or Whipple, do all the bolt-ons, and make big power for a lot less money than putting TTs on the Boss or doing bolt-ons to a 2013 GT500.

Users who are viewing this thread