Thoughts on Trading 13 Boss for 13 GT500?

poof100

Established Member
I found a 13 Shelby GT500 at a great deal under sticker and seriously contemplating trading my 13 Boss 302 for it.

Just trying to get thoughts on doing this or not. I'd lose a good amount on the trade on my Boss, but the GT500 price is almost too good to pass up. I did have plans to put the TT Hellion kit on my Boss, but I'd have to do a fuel system etc, and possibly a clutch/trans down the road.

Thanks in advance!

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
It really depends on the trade difference. If they give you say $39k for your boss. And you have to pay say $60k for the GT500...no its not a good deal...considering you've probably had the boss for less than a year. That's a $7k pounding from MSRP to trade in.

Guess you gotta ask yourself what's worth it to you

mixedup

Established Member
I went fro a 13 Roush stage 3 to a 13 GT500 ..... only thing I miss is the Roush sound. GT500 has so much power and engine being built allows for lower cost upgrades in future if you choose

JMTC

SNCBOOM

Established Member
Any idea of what they'll give you for the trade? That really seems like the biggest question. You could always have both :D

poof100

Established Member
Thanks for the replies.

They offered between 39 and 40k for the Boss, but probably closer to 39k and yes I've only had it since November. I paid under sticker for the Boss, but only about $2k under sticker. The GT500 is much lower under sticker. The GT500 is fully loaded except no Glass Roof.

The Boss motor is built as well, in fact some say the Boss rods are better than the GT500 rods. Both have forged pistons and the Boss crank is pretty stout. The big weakness of the Coyote platform is the block, where the GT500 is a tried and true block.

Wheresmycoffeee

Wheresmycoffeee
Established Member
I wouldn't want to be in your shoes. I have driven both cars wide open and they both offer their own unique performance and coolness. I prefer the Boss for driving in country back roads and winding canyons but there is just something about the exhaust sound and that V8 rumble that you get from the Shelby that gets me excited like no other car. The Shelby is just a monster machine that will always be cool. I feel that with the next gen Mustang that the BOSS with loose most of its fizzle but the Shelby is and will always remain a truly classic desireable car for years to come. There's a lot of history under that hood.

poof100

Established Member
So $39k and $65k-ish for the new one.

Is it worth $26k to you?

Closer to 61K for the GT500. That's my dilemma right there.

I agree with your thinking here though, and here are some #s for Mods i've been looking at:

Hellion TT kit $7500
Fuel System $2500-$3000, depending on Injector Pricing
Boost Controller $1000
Labor $2000 or who knows
Possible Magnum T56/Clutch when MT82 goes $5000 plus labor

Add this up and you are looking at anywhere from $15k-$20k for the Turbo kit and supporting mods to get to 700rwhp or more on the Boss.

Things like wheels, tires, exhaust are a wash to me, same with suspension, since I'd do them to both cars.

Thanks again.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
If you were going to do all of that to Boss this year. Get the Shelby. You'll never get that mod money back. Where atleast with the Shelby- you have a chance.

Crowley

Okey doke
Established Member
I say do what you want to do. Both cars will definitely give you a different feel. Have you test drove a '13/'14 GT500 (make sure you do as that may sway your decision one way or another).

Either way, you have a great car (or will end up with another great car). I went from a 2012 GT500 to a 2013 GT500 and don't regret it one bit (however, even that is different than going from a '13 Boss to a GT500).

Crowley

GT500662

Established Member
I had 15k in mods planned for my 2012 GT500 and I was about 17k difference for my 13 GT500....I chose to go with the 13 because the car will hold its value and you won't get money back for the mods.

Husky44

Established Member
Two different cars--you've got to figure out what trips your trigger. I started out to buy a Boss, but figured out that #1, I gotta have a vert, and #2, I named my daughter Shelbi, not Boss.

Happy with the choice I made, but would love to have a Boss too. Not instead of, but too.

H-TownMachI

It's the Hamburglar
Established Member
I have a '12 Boss 302 and a '13 GT500. If I had to give up one it would definitely be the Boss. Of the 2, I prefer to drive the GT500. Good luck with the decision.

nhs156

Established Member
If money is not a concern get the GT500. Also, make sure you're getting a reasonable deal on BOTH ends. It's easy to sell the GT500 under invoice if they can take advantage of you on the trade-in. Had one local dealer try to do this to me: offered a great price on the GT500 but once all was said and done on the trade-in front I walked out. Another dealer offered less off the new GT500 but substantially more on the trade-in.

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
Ford did a great job on both cars, very impressed with both, good luck to you!

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Is it worth $26k to you?

If I were him I'd add the Ford Racing supercharger kit, swap in a brand new Tremec TR6060, make a few suspension changes, and add a nice set of wheels/tires.

In the end you'd have a car that is on par with the GT500 power wise, potentially lighter, with money left over as well.

Users who are viewing this thread