Thoughts on this '99 L?

SynMan5.0

Established Member
Thoughts on this '99?

I'm looking to get into another Lightning. I used to have a '00 L (bought new), but I only owned it for a couple of years before trading it in on an '03 Cobra. I loved that truck and have missed it ever since. I've always thought about getting another one, and now I'm finally ready to buy.

I found this '99 fairly close to me with decent mileage (72k): 1999 Ford F-150 Lightning

Now, first off, I have to admit that I'm not crazy about the color. I don't hate red, but I don't love it either. In a perfect world, I would want a Sonic Blue truck. However, my budget is around $10-11k and I want something that's relatively clean and low mileage, so I realize I can't afford a SB one. True Blue and DS Grey would be my next choices, but they seem just as scarce. I also like white and silver, but haven't seen any decent ones in my price range around recently. Red would be my next-to-last choice (I don't want black).

All that said, what are your thoughts on this '99 I found? I like the fact that it looks stock and has lower mileage. I ran a CARFAX on it and it's had 3 owners. Looks like the current owner bought it with 28k miles in '05 and it shows no accidents or other issues. One thing that concerns me a little, though, is the original owner registered it in Missouri as a "corporate lease" vehicle, put virtually no miles on it and sold it after only one month :dw:. Then, four months later, the second owner bought it in Colorado (where it is currently) and there is a service record six days after the sale that reads as follows:

Body computer/module checked
Shift lever/assembly replaced
Engine/powertrain computer/module checked

Sounds like it had some kind of drivetrain problem to me. The rest of the truck's history is clean with just regular maintenance showing up. Maybe it's nothing to worry about, but it makes me a little nervous.

Also, I've only ever been in '99 and '00 Lightnings. What did Ford change in the '01-'04s? Would I be better off looking for an '01-'04 truck? As far as I know, the changes were minimal. I know they updated the head/tail lights and wheels, but did they change anything in the interior? If memory serves, they got a better intercooler in the later trucks and like a 20 hp bump. Any other changes?

Any help/opinions are appreciated. 2nd gens seem somewhat hard to come by at the moment and I've got money burning a hole in my pocket! I keep trying to talk myself into this red '99 because it's close and seems like a decent deal. And since I haven't owned a red vehicle in a long time, maybe it would do me good to mix it up a little. :shrug: Anyway, let me know what you think.

Last edited by a moderator:

captrad

Established Member
Perhaps the first owner had the engine module "chipped" and a more aggresive shift kit installed. The second owner may have wanted these removed and put back to stock...or maybe just to verify if the vehicle was modified? The truck looks well maintained exterior wise.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
as long as it had the recall done it should have the updated intercooler like that later trucks.

Other big thing is the 4 thread heads vs later 8 thread heads, just gotta keep an eye on the plugs that you dont blow one out (or if its already had that and theyve used an insert the steel ones can cause hot spots and detonation, especially on modded trucks)

only interior change that comes to mind is the addition of an oh-shit handle on the pass side

only other mechanical things I can think of were later years got an aluminum drive shaft, 3.73s instead of 3.55s and the 03-04 had heavier duty leaf pack in the rear

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
+1. I would go check it out and if everything looks and sounds good. Says firm but maybe ask if he will do $11k.

How's Cheyenne? I'm moving there in 2 and a half months.

SynMan5.0

Established Member
Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I probably just need to go check it out. It's fairly close, but still 3-3.5 hours away, so it's going to take a little planning. Like I said, I'm not crazy about red, but it's the best one I've seen around for a while.

I forgot about the recall. Now that you mention it, though, I do remember having it done to my '00 Lightning. What's strange is that Ford doesn't show any open recalls on the truck when I enter the VIN. Maybe that means it already had the recall performed? :shrug:

I texted another guy today who is also trying to sell his red '99 in Denver. Looks decent, but he said it has 180k miles. I asked how long he's had it and if the tranny had been rebuilt or anything. He said he's had it a year and put a used engine/tranny out of an '03 Lightning in it when he bought it. Claims the engine has about 90k miles on it. Could probably pick it up pretty cheap, but I don't know...

+1. I would go check it out and if everything looks and sounds good. Says firm but maybe ask if he will do $11k.

How's Cheyenne? I'm moving there in 2 and a half months.

I was hoping he'd go for $10k lol. He says he's "pretty firm." Doesn't hurt to ask I guess. I've tried contacting the guy, but no luck yet.

Cheyenne is... windy! Summers are beautiful and I love living here (inexpensive housing/land, no income tax, some of the most lenient gun laws in the country, etc.). But, I'm not gonna lie, the winter can be pretty brutal. Be prepared for LOTS of wind and occasional sub-zero temps. Will be glad to have you, though! Looks like you've got some badass rides. :beer:

There's a new "car club" here in town. I usually wouldn't waste my time with anything like that because "clubs" are usually nothing but d-bag kids with Civics and Subarus. But I do know a few cool guys with some fast cars that go to the meets. It's fun to hang out and do a little street racing sometimes. Frontier Days is a good time in the summer, too. Even if you don't like the rodeo and cowboy stuff, there are always lots of concerts, huge parties at the bars and a big carnival. And, worse come to worse, you can always head to Denver if you get bored. Plenty to do there and it's only an hour and a half away.

V8Thrasher

Established Member
11k with that many mods with a near stock drivetrain. Nope. You can get one built with a twin screw for a little more.

Thats true he could, BUT....2nd gen Lightnings are getting more and more rare, and most people (like me) want a close to stock truck as they can get.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Don't use carfax as a guide. If the dealer isn't signed up with carfax, and they perform service work, it won't show up. Carfax wasnt that big until probably 06/07. The recalls were probably done.

Best way to know is have an oasis report ran

BMR Tech

I have a friend in Texas with a pretty nice L that may be interested in selling. Is that too far for you?

There's a new "car club" here in town. I usually wouldn't waste my time with anything like that because "clubs" are usually nothing but d-bag kids with Civics and Subarus. But I do know a few cool guys with some fast cars that go to the meets. It's fun to hang out and do a little street racing sometimes. Frontier Days is a good time in the summer, too. Even if you don't like the rodeo and cowboy stuff, there are always lots of concerts, huge parties at the bars and a big carnival. And, worse come to worse, you can always head to Denver if you get bored. Plenty to do there and it's only an hour and a half away.

How have things changed since I was there in 02-05?

I was shocked how many "fast" cars were around, and going out on the weekends when I was there. I now live in a "hot spot" and I still think those days in Cheyenne were some of the best, even though I had a slow 2V GT....lol I do recall doing some good work from digs on stock tires, though. :rockon:

I still remember getting chills, not only from the sub zero temps.....but hearing your car race. Dat whine! Your car is the reason I got my Cobra, BTW.

SynMan5.0

Established Member
Thats true he could, BUT....2nd gen Lightnings are getting more and more rare, and most people (like me) want a close to stock truck as they can get.

Exactly. I'm looking for a stock one and they are harder to find for a decent price than I thought they would be.

Don't use carfax as a guide. If the dealer isn't signed up with carfax, and they perform service work, it won't show up. Carfax wasnt that big until probably 06/07. The recalls were probably done.

Best way to know is have an oasis report ran

I don't hinge everything on the CarFax report, but they can be helpful. I will check with the dealer this truck was serviced at if I end up buying it.

Clean low mileage examples that aren't heavily modded are definitely getting hard to find. Same with Terminators.

No joke!

I have a friend in Texas with a pretty nice L that may be interested in selling. Is that too far for you?

How have things changed since I was there in 02-05?

I was shocked how many "fast" cars were around, and going out on the weekends when I was there. I now live in a "hot spot" and I still think those days in Cheyenne were some of the best, even though I had a slow 2V GT....lol I do recall doing some good work from digs on stock tires, though. :rockon:

I still remember getting chills, not only from the sub zero temps.....but hearing your car race. Dat whine! Your car is the reason I got my Cobra, BTW.

Hey Kelly! Texas is probably a little farther than I want to travel right now. Thanks, though!

Things changed quite a bit after you left, actually. It seemed like everyone fell off the face of the Earth or moved away around the same time you did. But some have finally started coming back out of the woodwork in the past year or so. A lot of the cars have gotten fast enough that they don't even think about running them on the street anymore, though. Not sure if you remember Aaron, but his Nova went from running high-9s to low-8s. And now he has a tube chassis Vette that's in the 7s. And they've been building a lot of other badass rides over at his shop.

Definitely miss the "good ol' days." Had a lot of fun and Fords used to rule the streets around here. Now it seems like everyone that street races has a 4th gen F-body or built diesel. :bored:

iv got a white 2003 in boise for sale.... not thaaat from you. pm me if interested

PM'ed

Last edited by a moderator:

V8Thrasher

Established Member
exactly. Finding a terminator with it's original IRS is becoming a problem. SRA, just build a fugging GT.

OR, from what ive been reading, do a 5.0 swap. Ford makes all the parts for a relatively easy drop in. And from what ive been reading, your 5.0 to new gen swap would cost much much less than a 24k used Cobra. and thats including buying a stock GT for about 4-5k.

Users who are viewing this thread