Thoughts on buying a “bridge car”?

IA Shelby

Established Member
I have been without a “moderately fast performance vehicle for the past 14 months”. I got a 23 Bronco Wildtrak. It is a good vehicle for its intended purpose. But I have the itch for something faster.

I recently ordered a 25 BMW m4 Competition but that won’t arrive until Oct/Nov. I live in Iowa and that is the time performance cars get stored away. So I am realistically looking at another year before I can have a decently fun/fast car to drive.

So I am considering a “bridge car” to get me through the summer/fall driving season. I likely would sell it when the new M4 arrives primarily due to space reasons.

1) Curious if any of you have done this? Buying a car that you will likely sell in 6-8 months (Enter ArabiaN Oak).
2) What would be some fun recommendations From the group. Price point for the bridge car probably 80K or less since I would want to avoid losing big money on a high dollar depreciation car.

Some options:
1) Mustang GT convertible
2) C7 Vert or coupe (likely Gran Sport)
3) Others??

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
Many years ago, I was a broke dad of 4 young babies. Had the mini van life and I drove an old Mazda 626 5sp with 240K miles. I found an old, tired car that needed a bunch of work. Definitely not fast, but was fun to bring this old non-turbo RX7 back to life and rip around in it at 9500 rpm and 150HP. Had a blast with it and sold it after about a year and made about $1K off it.

I've had by far the most fun with the shittiest cars I've owned.

Last edited:

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
As we are mostly talking about Mustangs here..... Id consider a used gen 2 GT350, or maybe going back a bit to a S197 B302.... Your budget also covers 13-14 GT500's

No matter what, used, as thats the biggest deprecation.

After that, man there are a lot of options, you could warm your self up with an F80M3, M5's. heck there are even Nissan GT-R's in that range. 911's too.

Vettes, sure they are a great car, but, I could never own one, thats just not me.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Pretty big budget so a ton of options but what are you looking for? Manual? More raw or refined?
I’d try and pick something you can enjoy and not lose much money so I’m thinking an older classic to enjoy for a summer. Any cars you anyways wanted to try?
-J

IA Shelby

Established Member
More refined than raw at this point. Already owned GT500, Terminator, GTR, Challenger.

Likely want some open top capability for up at the lake. Probably need to pass on manual to do bad right shoulder/bicep issue.

We shall see.

kaz109

Established Member
Why not just pick up a C6 Z06, you could be in and out of it in that time with very little if any money lost

tistan

Established Member
Get a 2014-15 911 turbo vert. The prices have come down a lot and should be near bottom. You could drive it for a year and at least break even.

robvas

Established Member
What state are you in? Sales tax etc would kill it for me in Michigan ($4,800 @ $80k)

IA Shelby

Established Member
What state are you in? Sales tax etc would kill it for me in Michigan ($4,800 @ $80k)
Iowa. If I trade it in, i get that put towards the new car. Of course you get trade in value.

I may have found something this morning that interests me.

Not fast but engaging. Way less money so I may just keep it at my lake place for a summer roadster.

Tractorman

Greatest dad; Regional Qualifier
Established Member
Prime candidate for a C6 or C7 vette. Jorts not included. For a little more coin could find a C6 ZR1

IA Shelby

Established Member
Buy a Porsche... you'll likely not bother taking delivery of the M4 after
My closest Porsche dealer is 2.5hrs away as of now. A local Porsche dealership has been announced for Des Moines but it is probably 1.5-2yrs from being completed.

Users who are viewing this thread