Those with Pullies... Opinions please

jcayer

Eats Ryc
Established Member
I am thinking its time to pulley my car... 2 questions for you...

1. is $600 bucks good for a shop to install a 2.80 upper, diablo dyno tuned chip (custom burned) tensioner pulley belt and dyno time out the door???

2. I currently have nothing more then a flowmaster batback and a metco 14" cone filter, and got 417.6hp/389.5tq.... What realistic numbers could I expect by going with this setup?? and is that the size pulley I want???

TIA:beer:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm assuming you are installing at least one aftermarket idler. If so, the price is reasonable. That is about what I paid for my 2.90" RR upper, Diablo custom chip and 3-piece Billetflow idler set and belt. And that was without dyno time.

With that setup you're looking at 450-460 rwhp.

Rudy

Twin screwed
Established Member
I paid 675 for a dyno tune and 75 to install my 2.76 pulley, 100mm idler and belt

jcayer

Eats Ryc
Established Member
What size pulley should I get, I know too much psi will just heat soak and cancle itself out.. but I don't know if I should go with a 2.90 2.80 or 2.76... will the 2.76 get into heat soak issues or whats the best performance one out??

Brad

Banned
I'm no mechanic, but installing the pulley was less difficult than installing windows XP, save youself the money and just do it youself. Also a chip install isnt hard either, in-fact it's easy.

Also in terms of pulley size, I feel like if you're adding a chip and a pulley, you might as well get the most power you can out of it. 2.76 or 2.80, I'm on an 2.80

TRBO VNM

Originally posted by Brad
I'm no mechanic, but installing the pulley was less difficult than installing windows XP, save youself the money and just do it youself. Also a chip install isnt hard either, in-fact it's easy.

Also in terms of pulley size, I feel like if you're adding a chip and a pulley, you might as well get the most power you can out of it. 2.76 or 2.80, I'm on an 2.80

problem is the cost of the puller. A lot more than paying a shop to do it.

I don't recommend mail order chips. Get it dyno tuned and save your motor.

pulley size, hard to say. yes you can heat soak the blower faster with a smaller pulley. I saw this first hand last weekend when a 2.93 pullied car made more power than a 2.80 pullied car. I will be testing on dyno this weekend a 2.93 and a 2.76.

jcayer

Eats Ryc
Established Member
I agree with the most out of the pulley, I just wanted to get the one that will give the most performance, without the heatsoak issue (I read that 15psi for example is the max you can go before the heatsoak cancels out the power, with 20psi (just for example)...So there is no point in getting a pulley giving you huge psi gains, if in the real world (dyno) it doesn't help performance any more then the 15 psi due to heat??? Thats why I am trying to find out what to go with.. seems 2.80 is the common way...

As for doing it myself, I do'nt think that I would trust a out of the box tune is the issue, I know I can handle the install itself, but with no a/f or dyno to tune it to, you are just going to be hoping that it doesn't blow, and that to me isn't worth it.. if it wasn't for the a/f mixture, I would just do it myself

Brad

Banned
Originally posted by 03Redfiresnk
problem is the cost of the puller. A lot more than paying a shop to do it.

I don't recommend mail order chips. Get it dyno tuned and save your motor.

pulley size, hard to say. yes you can heat soak the blower faster with a smaller pulley. I saw this first hand last weekend when a 2.93 pullied car made more power than a 2.80 pullied car. I will be testing on dyno this weekend a 2.93 and a 2.76.

Don't we have a borrowing pool on here or something? I've got one to let someone borrow.

Also I installed my own chip mail order at first just so I could still safely drive the car around, but I still brought it to a tuner to have them tune it. Also if you get a predator that would be a good move, I like those things.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread