Those with MGW shifters…Trouble with 3rd?

greenflash00

Established Member
I just put in my new orange handle mgw shifter and it's gorgeous. But trying to get it into gears while driving, particularly hitting 2nd to 3rd is like hitting a brick wall. So much so that one time my hand slipped totally off the knob and I pretty much punched my radio. :D

Is this normal for these shifters to be stiff like that? Or did I do something wrong on the install? Don't see how it could be put it wrong though…

I should also mention I didn't have that issue with the stock shifter I'm coming from.

Last edited:

greenflash00

Established Member
I didn't see on the shifter base where there was anything to remove. It came with threaded stops in a bag but I didn't put them in because I read it isn't needed.

greenflash00

Established Member
When was the last time the trans fluid was changed? what trans fluid is in it?

About 3k miles ago. Pennzoil Synchromesh.

Might be time for a trans rebuild. 3rd is usually the first one to get stiff.

I know the trans is good because the stock shifter didn't have that issue the day before. I'm wondering if it just needs a few days to loosen up or something. I've ready a few people say that it gets smoother after a few miles. Might call George tomorrow at MGW and see what he says.

MBoyle1

redfire
Established Member
Mine works great for 2nd & 3ed! But 4th needs to be pulled back just right so it doesn't hit second ,you may just need to get use to it!

KyleSVT

Terminated
Established Member
I have the same issue...Think its my clutch not fully disengaging or something else with the clutch or clutch cable. Not sure tho let me know if you figure it out.

greenflash00

Established Member
I have the same issue...Think its my clutch not fully disengaging or something else with the clutch or clutch cable. Not sure tho let me know if you figure it out.

That could be part of it. I found recently that the previous owner had installed a clutch quadrant that was designed only for an adjustable cable instead of the oem one on the car. As a result the throwout bearing was putting a lot of pressure on the clutch and not letting it fully clamp.

Shifts are better now by probably 30%, but it still feels like you hit a wall right before it goes into 3rd. Then it sort of just clicks in place. It was sloppy but the stock shifter didn't have that issue.

03dsgcobranc

Fujiwara zone
Established Member
Had an MGW in mine for about 600 miles. Too notchy for me. Went back to stock and alls well.

Givens

I wanna go fast
Established Member
This shifter is different from the stock shifter, it took me a little getting used to. The stock shifter when shifting from 2nd to 3rd I always pushed over at a slight angle to third and worked perfectly.

The MGW shifter I found out if you push it over the same you will hit between 3rd and 5th, there is no need to push over to 3rd. If you will just push strait forward it pops over perfectly. I hope that makes sense. Im sure after you have some seat time with it you come to like it.

TRBO VNM

That could be part of it. I found recently that the previous owner had installed a clutch quadrant that was designed only for an adjustable cable instead of the oem one on the car. As a result the throwout bearing was putting a lot of pressure on the clutch and not letting it fully clamp.

Shifts are better now by probably 30%, but it still feels like you hit a wall right before it goes into 3rd. Then it sort of just clicks in place. It was sloppy but the stock shifter didn't have that issue.

Haven't heard of this before. Have any pics? sounds like possible adjustment is needed. And yes, too much pressure on the clutch will wear it out.

The reason you didn't feel it as much with stock shifter is probably because it absorbed most of the "hitting a wall" feeling with the rubber bushing.

Users who are viewing this thread