Those with 99/01 tail lights...

AzianStang

Third Eye Slanted
Established Member
How hard was it to wire the 99/01 tails?

I just bought a pair and I'm hoping it's not too difficult. All I've found on a how-to is Mustangworld.

Any info or advice appreciated.

:beer:

semperfimrn1

Established Member
he is prob talking about the cobra taillights with the amber turn signals

i have em on my gt and had to rewire them the whole way all the way up to the steering wheel. my mechanic did it and also had to get a cobra flasher so that they can blink normal cause without they would blink very rapidly

ROSENDO SANCHEZ

Established Member
he is prob talking about the cobra taillights with the amber turn signals

i have em on my gt and had to rewire them the whole way all the way up to the steering wheel. my mechanic did it and also had to get a cobra flasher so that they can blink normal cause without they would blink very rapidly
LOL On the 2001 cobra, they are supposed to blink rapidly

racebronco2

Established Member
Mustang world "how to" is how i wired up my lights. I only wires i had to add was only to the third brake light, other then wiring up the tail lights themselves.
To get the lights to blink normally ( like most mustangs) all you need to do is add an extra bulb for the turn signal and just put it in one of the body cavities (away from anything that might burn/melt).

AzianStang

Third Eye Slanted
Established Member
Azian, that's a great pic in your sig. Is that a factory color?
Thanks! Yeah that's redfire.

Mustang world "how to" is how i wired up my lights. I only wires i had to add was only to the third brake light, other then wiring up the tail lights themselves.
To get the lights to blink normally ( like most mustangs) all you need to do is add an extra bulb for the turn signal and just put it in one of the body cavities (away from anything that might burn/melt).
I was gonna use the how-to on there and expected something some kind of problem like that... can you post up or PM me and tell me how you wired the third brake light and added the extra bulb? I'm needing details, I'm no electrical guru by far...

:??:

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
It's a piece of cake. :beer:

IMG_3515.jpg

IMG_3517.jpg

IMG_3518.jpg

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
Sir Riccus where do you get your tips from? :shrug:

LOL Sorry about that...

First and foremost, the amber tail light themselves are only half of the setup. You also need the bulb harness that allows for the extra light (the amber turn signal) to be utilized. Once you've obtained the bulb harness and the lights, you remove all of the bolts holding the tail lights in which can be found inside the trunk. I believe there are 4 bolts per light.

The next step is to disconnect the existing bulb harness from the main wiring harness inside of the trunk. Now you plug in the new harness and you'll need to splice into the main wiring harness for the extra light in which you wish to have. I can't remember the color of the wire (sorry, guys), but I'm sure that someone else can shed some light on this.

You would then need to cut an alternate wire that can be found underneath your drivers side dash so that your brake lights don't come on everytime you use your turn signal. Once all of this is complete, you use electrical tape to wrap up the wires so that it doesn't look tacky and reassemble the new amber tail lights.

Make sure to test them throughout the process to eliminate there being a problem. Good luck. :beer:

OttoCobra

Established Member
I've been meaning to hook up a set of the '01 Ambers that I bought awhile back. I even got the harnesses.

-Not sure if I'm just going to sell them. I think they are the best lights I've ever seen on a Cobra.

AzianStang

Third Eye Slanted
Established Member
LOL Sorry about that...

First and foremost, the amber tail light themselves are only half of the setup. You also need the bulb harness that allows for the extra light (the amber turn signal) to be utilized. Once you've obtained the bulb harness and the lights, you remove all of the bolts holding the tail lights in which can be found inside the trunk. I believe there are 4 bolts per light.

The next step is to disconnect the existing bulb harness from the main wiring harness inside of the trunk. Now you plug in the new harness and you'll need to splice into the main wiring harness for the extra light in which you wish to have. I can't remember the color of the wire (sorry, guys), but I'm sure that someone else can shed some light on this.

You would then need to cut an alternate wire that can be found underneath your drivers side dash so that your brake lights don't come on everytime you use your turn signal. Once all of this is complete, you use electrical tape to wrap up the wires so that it doesn't look tacky and reassemble the new amber tail lights.

Make sure to test them throughout the process to eliminate there being a problem. Good luck. :beer:
Dude yes thanks a ton! Good info. I'm sure I can find a way to f*ck this install up though. I'm going to try and use the Mustangworld how-to but I'm sure I'll need some help...

...what about third brake light?

...and getting the lights to flash normally?

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
Dude yes thanks a ton! Good info. I'm sure I can find a way to f*ck this install up though. I'm going to try and use the Mustangworld how-to but I'm sure I'll need some help...

...what about third brake light?

...and getting the lights to flash normally?

All taken care of in my little write up. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread