This story was posted on Challenger Talk.

Elwood617

Established Member
Made me laugh :)
RGVram99 wrote:
On my way home and a Mustang 5.0 is behind me at a stop light revving his engine. Next thing you know he starts doing a burn out to get my attention. Well the light turns green and I leisurely accelerate my 14 SRT8 M6 through 1st & 2nd gears and right on queue the 5.0 makes his move and changes lanes to pass me up. So I am now in 3rd gear right at 3K rpm, when the Mustang pulls next to me at WOT, so I drop the 392 hammer! Even with a full tank of gas and two passengers, we pulled away from the little pony by over a car length, I hit redline and shifted to 4th but he let off, he had enough. This is the 3rd coyote 5.0 I have killed, but this was the closed race yet cause I had extra weight in my car and he was already in his power band when we hit it. I guess he missed the SRT8 badge on my car, LOL!
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2756802[URL]

ThomasL

Established Member
Kinda not related, but i've always wondered if i end up on other forums. I don't street race but if someone is riding my bumper or trying to get me to play, I'll accelerate hard to give a taste of the goods. At which point they go flying around me feeling proud. Probably head to their civic/integra forum to gloat. Back to OPs post, assuming stock v. stock, what is the outcome of an srt8 and 5.0?? Gotta be darn close i'd guess.

Elwood617

Established Member
Driver's race, the part that makes me laugh is the Mustang already accelerating at WOT, and op does a third gear roll and spanks him. Street racing stories are like fishing stories. Tend to be exaggerated.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
^True, the story is vague though. Mustang could have been WOT 4th from 30mph for all we know lol

edit:this was meant for elwood

Kewlv8

Established Member
Well he did say he dropped the 392 hammer so seems legit to me. :shrug:

6130292862_6d493877f6_z.jpg

OneSlowV

Established Member
If the 5.0 is stock i see no problem with a 392 pulling on it. 3k rpms may seem low but all that tq these cars make can pull pretty hard at that range. And im pretty sure they have 3.92s.

Troponin

Established Member
^ Yeah stock to stock the 392 is a tad faster.

According to most sources, this is incorrect. The Challenger is a fat pig. It has an additional 400-500lbs on the Coyote, the shifting isn't as tight, and he claims to have had 2 passengers on top of that, putting him at a total of around 800lbs or more than the Coyote. The Coyote is already slightly faster than the SRT8 Challenger because of weight alone. My guess is, that the driver of the Mustang was either really bad, the story was made up, or it was actually a pre 2011 model and he didn't realize it wasn't a 5.0 he was racing.

Between the Camaro SS, SRT8 Challenger, and 5.0, the SRT8 gets beat by them all because of weight. This is a result of many, many runs by several different sources as well, not just this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o3p8fZZQM8

Last edited:

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
^ask the man above you, he has BOTH. I'll take his word over a video.

I could be wrong but i also believe the 392 has been faster stock for stock, a guy here ran 12.2 @114. The cars are a drivers race period, put a bad driver in either and you get the result of this race.

Last edited:

Cowboytk

Grey Ghost
Established Member
I was the one who raced that challenger..he neglected to mention that he had an acme rocket on his trunk and I was hauling a 5th wheel.

SC Heaven

Red Whine
Established Member
Wow. And I thought some of the kill stories in here sounded made up. I just read through about 5 pages of that kill thread on the Challenger forum and it really sounds like a bunch of 11 year olds comparing their HotWheels. I guess I never realized how unbeatable a stock 392 was... :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread