This makes me f**king sick (Frence aholes)

zzzzzer

Livin' Life Roush-less :(
Established Member
Originally posted by ssssnake
You're right, he was Army. Captain Joe Dawson. First American to reach the bluff at Omaha Beach.
THANK YOU for posting that!!! Now I remember where I read about him. Tom Hanks mentioned him in this interview about "Saving Private Ryan". The beginning of the movie when Hanks leads a small band of soldiers to the top of the bluff was largely based on what Captain Dawson did. That man is nothing short of a national hero.

ssssnake

Established Member
I was reading an article about Mr. Dawson and someone said, "if you didn't know he was a hero, you wouldn't hear it from him." That's absolutely true. I knew him for about 12 years before I found out. I had to read it in the paper. He was a customer of mine at the bank. I just knew him as an independent geologist. I think I embarassed him when I said, "Mr. Dawson, I didn't know you were a hero." He was going to Washington at the time to receive his Medal of Honor (I think). The last time I saw him was at the Cancer Center. I was going for a checkup and he was there because his cancer had come back. He fought til the end. It was an honor and a privilege to know him.

They named an elementary school after him here and had a statue of him made. The only thing was that the PC Police had the rifle in his hands taken out. We wouldn't want those schoolkids to get any ideas about guns, you know.

Users who are viewing this thread