Thinking of taking my wife to Key West next year. Recommendations from those who've been there?

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
For what it's worth, if we go to Destin it will be in May or June. We're also looking at Siesta Key or Naples Beach.

I am also looking at Siesta Key (Sarasota), which is a gorgeous beach. My brother has stayed in Siesta Key 3-4 times and likes it. I've been to Siesta Key, but never stayed in a hotel there. The beach is stunning. Lots of stuff to see/do around there, as well.

Bruno, how is Naples Beach? I wasn't considering Naples because I didn't think it had nice beaches. But I'm seeing some impressive beach photos. Naples, itself, is awesome, as you know.
Naples has about 8 beaches and some more on Marco island. I have visited them all and every one has a different feel. Some are touristy some are for locals. Some you have to get there by boat. If you go there your first stop will definitely be the pier which is considered the top beach in Naples. Usually this is rated a top five beach in the state of Florida and I visit there often. Most of the beaches are huge so you should not feel crowded and on top of people. Lots of great hotels and tons of awesome restaurants. You could visit for a week and not see all of collier county and have a great and relaxing vacation. Plus Naples is close to the Everglades which is another way to spend a day. I love taking visiting friends and family there and showing them top rated restaurants literally in the middle of no where.
If you go you should do the sunset cruise in the bay. You will never see houses like that in your life. Average price is only 30 million with the top dog selling for 88.

C2tuck

Established Member
So, for those who have vacationed in Destin, where areas of Destin do your recommend, which beaches, and which resort hotels?

We’ve gone to Destin several times over the last few years. We didn’t make it last year due to me being slammed with work, but will go back again next year. We’ve found that we like going in September. All the kids are back in school and it’s not nearly as packed. Crab island is a must, but rent a pontoon boat for 4hrs and drive yourself over there. We did this the last time and it was so much better than the shuttle boat. We putted around looking at houses and just messing around after we were done playing in the water.

I’d personally say skip the hotel. We do the condo rental thing and have gone to the same one the last few times. The weekly rental is half what it was in June/July as well. If you do the condo, spring for the beach chairs they put out. It’s so nice not having to carry all your shit PLUS the chairs.

Take a drive down 30A to seaside one afternoon, it’s a pretty neat town. The wooden track go carts were a blast too.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I know you said 95, and will be cutting across before you get to my recommendation. One place that is great is St Augustine. We go at least once a year, and one of the only spots on the east coast that I really like.
I've always wanted to go back to St. Augustine. Went there a couple of times as a young teen with my family. Special place. Lots of great memories. Assuming we do end of going to Florida next May, I would love to spend maybe two days there. Still deciding on which beach to focus on. I'm leaning towards Siesta Key, but still digesting the posts from those who have vacationed at Florida beaches.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
"Crab island" Destin :)
I'd rent a beach house before a hotel.
I rented one for our wedding night a mile down the beach from this. McGuires is a fav of ours...just make sure you pay attention to which restroom you go into....trust me. The Irish Wake drink is amazing yet deadly. Their spinach artichoke dip is the best. Whataburger is the best...so if you have not eaten it...a must. Nice little walkway behind the Emerald Grand which is in the picture and also across from McGuires.
View attachment 1757440
Noted! Thanks!

We have thought about the keys but always go to Destin. We stay right on the beach and watch dolphins from our balcony. Our hotel is only 3 stories and its right near Henderson Beach state park. The beach there is never busy when we go and the views are gorgeous. Only issue is the traffic congestion on the Emerald Coast Parkway.
What's the name of the hotel you stayed at? Sounds nice, location wise.

Bob, there is some real good advice here. I have done most of the ones listed and hands down would pick the panhandle above them all for beaches. Take a look at the cost from Panama City Beach west and you will find the finest beaches in the world.

If you want quiet and carefree look at Rosemary beach, Seaside, Graton.
If you want more to things to choose from "eats, night life, shopping", continue west to Fort Walton and Destin and even over into Alabama to Perdido Key. For that matter you can stay in Panama City and day trip to all of them.
THANKS for the great advice. I'm pulling all the great recommendations browse through and narrow down my/our options.

Time for the 35th reply saying to skip the Keys. I grew up vacationing at Navarre Beach. Beautiful white sand beaches, playing in the waves, hunting seashells, as a kid, that was the best thing ever.
LOL, thanks Kevin, I had already officially removed the Keys from my vacation destination list, based on comments from those who went there.

My vote goes to Siesta / St. Arman's beach. Just beautiful as descbribed. Been a few times now and love the area. Way Way way less congested than Destin and whole lot more bang for your buck. Think we rented a house last year for a week for about $1100 all in. Destin / 30A area was double that. Wife and I hope to move to Sarasota area someday!
Thanks for your comments. My wife really wants to go to Siesta Key. She loves the beach there (we went kyacking in the small creeks/canals there and had a blast), and St. Arman. Yeah, Sarasota would definitely be a place I'd love to live in.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Naples has about 8 beaches and some more on Marco island. I have visited them all and every one has a different feel. Some are touristy some are for locals. Some you have to get there by boat. If you go there your first stop will definitely be the pier which is considered the top beach in Naples. Usually this is rated a top five beach in the state of Florida and I visit there often. Most of the beaches are huge so you should not feel crowded and on top of people. Lots of great hotels and tons of awesome restaurants. You could visit for a week and not see all of collier county and have a great and relaxing vacation. Plus Naples is close to the Everglades which is another way to spend a day. I love taking visiting friends and family there and showing them top rated restaurants literally in the middle of no where.
If you go you should do the sunset cruise in the bay. You will never see houses like that in your life. Average price is only 30 million with the top dog selling for 88.
Maybe I should take two weeks off instead of one week, and visit multiple destinations. If I had the time, I'd love to do Destin, Siesta Key, Naples, and St. Augustine. Hmmm. :unsure:

@C2tuck, thanks for your Destin recommendations! (y)

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
In the last 4 years, we have had stayed in Naples Park 3 times (airbnb's). Vanderbilt beach is pretty cool.

In April, we started in Tampa, drove to Sarasota, spent 3 nights there, getting a feel for the area. Siesta Key is one amazing beach. Then we drove 41 to Naples. Lots of great places along the way, but Naples, is the right mix of low key, but also not too sleepy (for us)

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
In the last 4 years, we have had stayed in Naples Park 3 times (airbnb's). Vanderbilt beach is pretty cool.

In April, we started in Tampa, drove to Sarasota, spent 3 nights there, getting a feel for the area. Siesta Key is one amazing beach. Then we drove 41 to Naples. Lots of great places along the way, but Naples, is the right mix of low key, but also not too sleepy (for us)
It can also be very expensive depending on the area.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.

In my opinion Vanderbilt beach is the best people watching of them all and I love the parking garage.
Lots of rich people live up in north Naples in the Vanderbilt area and lots of high end hotels makes for great people watching.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
The drive from Miami to the Keys over the inter coastal highway and the 7 mile bridge is the only really cool part of the keys. Go to the west coast and start at Sarasota and work your way down

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
Not to hijack, but anyone have thoughts on Longboat Key? We were set to go there for a spring vaca right before Covid hit and everything cancelled. Also what about Bonita? My folks have a place in a park down there. Haven’t been but maybe it’s time to visit them there. I assume it’s a value blue haired area (no offense to anyone, lmao)?

Users who are viewing this thread