Thinking of buying a classic Mustang? Am I crazy?

roadracer247

Established Member
Had a ‘67. Giant pain in the ass. I will say I’ve never gotten so many compliments on any other car in my life. Sold it to someone across the country. Was happy to see it go..

CV355

_
Established Member
Had a ‘67. Giant pain in the ass. I will say I’ve never gotten so many compliments on any other car in my life. Sold it to someone across the country. Was happy to see it go..

I know those feels. Most people don't get it. I sure didn't before I owned one, which is an expensive lesson to learn.

I've had days where I was tempted to post it for sale on here, but ultimately I want to see it through and get the thing running. The reward is all in the use.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Old cars are cool in differing ways from the newer cars. If you want on older model, I say go for it.....

The key is: shop hard until you find one that has been well maintained or wonderfully restored, and then be ready to pull the trigger.

One thing about the older cars; they are super-easy to work on (for the most part).

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
I had the idea of a big block chevelle but realized it would be like being in a relationship with a crazy but hot chick. Maddening but exciting at the same time. Not my cup of tea.

I would encourage you to cruise bring a trailer. They typically have the gamut of fully restored to restomod and everything in between. Prices are pretty reasonable from what I have seen.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Everyone who mentioned the difficulties of owning one is right, mentioning how they are outdated and outmatched in every way by newer cars with the newest engineering and technological advancements. However, with the vast aftermarket support for automotive parts that stretches to classics you can pretty easily remedy most issues that you would have with with a classic muscle car.

We did work on a 70 Boss 302 that was a restomod. It really should have been put back to stock but I loved driving it which it had upgraded suspension, brakes, and a Ford Racing 351 crate engine that was making about 500hp. The car was a beast and felt good to drive but still maintained that classic feel. It also helps to really know your way around the skill of body repair and mechanics or at least have those connections with shops you trust.

CV355

_
Established Member
One thing about the older cars; they are super-easy to work on (for the most part).

If things go well, they are easy.

Old, pot-metal castings with 50 year old over-torqued fasteners tend to be a pain. If you're tearing things out and replacing with new, it's not bad.

The difficulty is in restraint and discipline to maintain the "era" accuracy. I love the look of a flat panel engine bay from a coilover retrofit in a 1st gen Mustang. Being able to reach in and remove all 8 spark plugs on a big block FE in a Mustang engine bay... ahhhhh so nice. But ask me if I should do it to my '69 Mach 1. I'd LOVE to, but I won't.

Would I love a resto-modded '69 Mach with a twin turbo Coyote and TMI interior? Absolutely. If funds weren't a limiting factor, would I do it to mine? No.

Last edited:

99-venom

Established Member
AC578DFA-907C-4A9A-9BEB-DCB85F596929.jpeg

I fully enjoy driving my Falcon on nice days, but there’s a reasons why it only has ~1200 miles on the build. These old projects are never “done”, it’s just a long term hobby that required lots of upkeep.

Restomod is for sure the way to go. Mustang II front suspension and a 4 link rear makes these cars handle very much like a newer car.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
My goal is to someday own a 69/70 Fastback.

I don’t care what it started life as, it’s going to have modern brakes, steering, and a gut-crunching idle.

I couldn’t bring myself to chop up (or afford) a 428 car, or any Boss for that matter.

CV355

_
Established Member
View attachment 1581824
I fully enjoy driving my Falcon on nice days, but there’s a reasons why it only has ~1200 miles on the build. These old projects are never “done”, it’s just a long term hobby that required lots of upkeep.

Restomod is for sure the way to go. Mustang II front suspension and a 4 link rear makes these cars handle very much like a newer car.

That floor. Dear God. Gorgeous.

My goal is to someday own a 69/70 Fastback.
I don’t care what it started life as, it’s going to have modern brakes, steering, and a gut-crunching idle.
I couldn’t bring myself to chop up (or afford) a 428 car, or any Boss for that matter.

That's the problem I have- what I want to do to my 428 would take away from the originality. I don't regret buying it at all, but I do regret my initial "investments" in the car that wound up being a total waste of money. After that learning experience, I changed tune a little- I did upgrade the brakes to Wilwood last year. Steering is now Flaming River. Idle is ridiculous. I kept encountering little problems that prevent the car from being driven. So, it sits.

I've always wanted a 69/70 with a 6-71 sticking through the hood, built side-oiler... Don't really want to be the one to perform that sin on the car though. If I ever do, the original hood would be preserved and I'd get a replacement to chop. The beauty of it would be a 100% clean start on the engine. Scary part about buying a 50 year old car with the original engine is that it's not really 100% original. It becomes a game of never-ending surprises. SURPRISE someone drilled and tapped that hole larger. SURPRISE that's not supposed to be that way. SURPRISE this was shimmed up for some reason.

@Revvv you need to send me those videos! Your phone took the best video I have of that car running.

Last edited:

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
View attachment 1581824

Dude, the car is nice, but the floor 'floors' me. Holy crap, nicest floor I ever saw. What is it?

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
I have a 1969 Mustang Grande that I bought when I was 15. I still have it and it needs some work to get back on the road. I'll likely have to wait until I get my kids out of the house before I can "finish" it. I couldn't imagine not having it.

aoc racer

Ford is hella cool
Established Member
I drove my 65 coupe daily for about 10 years. Yes it will have problems because the car is over 50 years old now. Although I can say it has been for the most part reliable. Out of those 10 years I think I’ve only had to tow it home maybe 5 times. You can do some light mods to improve its power and handling and since classic mustangs are so popular you can find several upgrades to suite your needs. So long as you have the $. As with all used cars have a mechanic you trust inspect it before you buy.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
Owning a vintage car as a second car is the best way to learn how to turn wrenches. 95% of the repairs can be DIY jobs. It amazes me how so few guys today don’t know how to do any maintenance or repairs on their own cars.

Papaw

Established Member
I absolutely LOVE my '65! It doesn't demand a ton of work to keep old cars on the road and even if it did I think it's well worth it to drive a classic.
As has been said, the aftermarket for early Mustangs is tremendous. There are tons of ways to go with an early car, it never gets old.
My late model GT500 would leave before my '65 but I'm hoping to hold on to them both.

99-venom

Established Member
Dude, the car is nice, but the floor 'floors' me. Holy crap, nicest floor I ever saw. What is it?

Thanks! It’s epoxy with some metallic black and copper swirled together. Had a buddy do it for me. Almost too nice for a garage floor.

nxhappy

Established Member
Old resto stang with a yote motor !

Or get a Viper. You get that classic feel, totally raw, WITH the "newer" features.

Cobra-O

Established Member
So my dad decided he needed to have a 68 Fastback, as it was his first car growing up. We found a restored one that was pretty clean, so he bought it. Carbureted 302, Top loader 4 speed. Pretty nice car. This was about 5 years ago.

Then he did the worst thing you could do for a car like that. He let it sit. And sit. And sit. For some reason he thought he could go out there every 6-9 months and fire it up. Nope. Doesn't work like that.

So about 5 months ago I grabbed it from him with the intention of making it a lot easier for him to use and drive. Started with a Sniper EFI kit that replaced the carburetor. Really cool setup and pretty easy to install, self tuning and really livened up the 302. Also went with a drop in fuel tank with a high pressure fuel pump, also from Holly. Nice and quiet.

Dad's getting up there in age, so the next step was to ditch the Toploader and convert to a AOD transmission. This turned out to be a pretty big project as the headers wouldn't clear the large AOD, the flywheel had to be swapped for a flex plate, so the starter didn't work. New headers even had to be modified to get past the AOD linkage. Console had to be modified for the new shifter, clutch pedal and linkage all had to come out. I'm sure there is other stuff I'm forgetting.

The car was never stock, or numbers matching, so it isn't like I hurt the value any. The original Marti report has it as an automatic car anyway, someone had converted it to the 4 speed. I retain all of the parts if someone ever wants to convert it back. My point was to get him into something he could use easily. Now even if he doesn't use it, it will still fire right up when he needs it to.

My advise is to get into something you will use and to never let the car sit idle. Kind of like a boat, worst thing you can do is not use it, and Break Out Another Thousand! It is an endless money pit, and it is never done. I just need to get the AC working and I'll give it back to him, but there is still a laundry list of things it needs!

Users who are viewing this thread