Thinking of buying a classic Mustang? Am I crazy?

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
So because I'm a sucker for punishing my bank account and increasing my time in the garage I'm kicking around the idea of picking up a classic Mustang fastback.

Budget is $40k or so.

Obviously this won't be a numbers matching GT500 or some car that's had a rotisserie restoration, etc.

I want a car to drive (as intended when originally manufactured!). I don't want a problem car that will have me endlessly chasing gremlins.

I'm not even sure where to start looking. Any reliable dealers, forums,etc? I know the guys who run Classic Car Studio in St Louis (they have a cable show now). That's about it.

Please learn me, SVTP!

Coiled03

Established Member
All I'll say about classic cars is this: Everybody loves the notion of owning one. Then, they realize underpowered, undertired, poor handling cars with drum brakes aren't much fun to drive. I wouldn't do it.

I'd look in Hemmings Motor News if it were me.

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
Hemmings Motor News, ebay, Classic Car trader "I think", even pro touring forums. I will ask you some questions.
Have you driven an old Mustang yet?
Describe your level of "nice enough" , Identify the options you want, what do you want to do with it, be VERY honest with yourself!

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
All I'll say about classic cars is this: Everybody loves the notion of owning one. Then, they realize underpowered, undertired, poor handling cars with drum brakes aren't much fun to drive. I wouldn't do it.

I'd look in Hemmings Motor News if it were me.

Listen to this man.

As someone working towards getting out of his 64.5 project car, I absolutely agree.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Restomod....with a late model 5.0. drivetrain. Brakes and booster with up graded suspension isn't that costly. 40k will buy a nice ride around here. I have a line on an original 70 boss 302 for $55k

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
I have a 66 convert 289 LoPo. It's drivable, but only feels safe at around 45 mph. All rubber is collapsed, so it wanders. 4 wheel drum brakes with a suicide single bowl master cylinder is also on the list, so it's dangerous. As is pretty much everything. This is a multi-year and maybe multi-decade project.

But it does drive, so cruising around slow is still pretty fun. And they are pretty simple machines, so pretty easy to work on.

Sent using the svtperformance.com mobile app

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
I just drove a 67coupe with a 347. Man it’s fun!

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
So… No you’re not crazy for wanting one. But they require more maintenance they cost a lot most of them are rusty. The 67 I drove could potential he be for sale but that wasn’t the objective for the car

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Recon

Established Member
Own 2 mostly stock classic cars I can tell you something no one ever told me. You’re never done. There’s always something to do to them. Sure you might get them road worthy and running good but you won’t be done with them, ever.
My Impala I’ve had some issues with the original carb; by no means will it ever be replaced, but it did run better with an edelbrock. My Challenger is having an ignition problem that we’re chasing down but for the most it’s a pretty good car, besides the slight belt squeal. These are only two examples, but they’ve had other issues that were addressed. They don’t handle, stop, or have the power of modern cars, you can certainly get them to that level, but it’s $$.
Now I’d buy them again 24/7/365. They better looking than anything that’s come out this century. Around here they get substantially more looks than any of my modern mustangs. And the mustangs would be long gone before I’d even consider selling the classics.

Pick your poison.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
Fastbacks command a real premium around here. I looked on and off for a while. Couldn't bear to pay the difference, which is like 50% higher than a coupe or convertible.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
You must have had a rough time. There really isn't a simpler car to build. The aftermarket choices are enormous. I will say a 65 resto will get 200 % more attention then any stock late model Cobra or Shelby. People admire them.

Well, not necessarily. It's the level of energy and work required to build and upkeep it.

In terms of drivability, even with the most advance aftermarket solutions, very rarely do they outdo an OEM late model car. Couple that with the AC/Ride quality/Noise being generally subpar, it's hard. Sure, big money cars are absolutely worth it... and yes they will attract way more attention, but late models are definitely something a person would drive more frequently.

To each their own. If you want to drive your car a lot and live where traffic is heavy, old cars don't fare well. If we lived somewhere more rural or less crowded I'd probably keep the 64.5.

Rare40th

Established Member
I mean this is SVTP so....... find a mint, low mileage bubble covered 03/04 Cobra.

Aside from that a buddy of mines mom just about daily drives her 65 convertible. Granted it's only in town so not higher speeds. But growing up I can recall them taking forever and a day to get stuff with it road ready and worthy enough to keep it going. She still loves it so I give her that.

I still have a bucket list to own a 66 Gt350, AC Cobra and a Boss 429. However like others with modern tech and comforts it is making it less appealing to really want to own a classic

Established Member
As we speak I am putting the original numbers matching engine back in my 68 Shelby GT 350. Had a crate 385HP 351 W 5 speed TKO for a while for better drivability, but everyone wants factory original or resto mod. Mine is a great solid numbers matching car, even won the Shelby nationals in 85, but I have to tell you almost went full late model on it anyway for the drivability/comfort aspect. If I was keeping the car, late model underpinnings, as is, selling, so original.

Users who are viewing this thread