Thinking about installing the stock coil springs back in.

Jefe

Established Member
I didnt need to drop the exhaust, there was enough room to get the springs out. Support the rear on your subframe connectors if you have them. If not there are some very stiff body panels just in front of the rear tires.

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
Damn im frustrated, been fighting to get the stock springs back in, no way in hell even cut a 1/4 coil with iso's on. The only way to get them in there would be to remove the front control arm. Wondering why everyone hasn't had any issues putting the stock springs back in with just unbolting the shock and rear control arm is simply because they cut the springs. Would love to see someone install the stock springs and iso's with out removing the front control arm.. no way in hell. I got to see what a 1/4 coil and no iso's looked like an it was a 1/4" higher then the aftermarket setup.. :nonono: Wondering how much the iso's will raise it if i can get them in there. This sucks

Oh and on a funny note the after market lowering springs i pulled from the rear were cut LOL no wonder this thing was slammed.

Last edited:

Charlington

Established Member
I swapped an IRS into my New Edge and had a heck of a time finding full length stock Ford Cobra springs. Ended up with a set of Cobra Verts 500 front/470 rear. Was tempted to go coilovers for ease of installation over stock location springs but wanted to try everything stock first. Another reason for going stock springs and ride height was to run Roush side exit exhaust which solves a couple other problems.
1. Moves the exhaust away from 3 sides of the gas tank
2. Moves the exhaust away from the differential which should drop the diff oil temps 50-60*
3. Moves the exhaust out of the way Period! Allows access to the rear end + You can drop the rear end without hassling with the pipes
4. Always liked side pipes. Put side exits on my 1st car, haha

(not my car)

RoushSide.JPGRoushSideExhaust.JPG50-60*

Last edited:

Jefe

Established Member
Damn im frustrated, been fighting to get the stock springs back in, no way in hell even cut a 1/4 coil with iso's on. The only way to get them in there would be to remove the front control arm. Wondering why everyone hasn't had any issues putting the stock springs back in with just unbolting the shock and rear control arm is simply because they cut the springs. Would love to see someone install the stock springs and iso's with out removing the front control arm.. no way in hell. I got to see what a 1/4 coil and no iso's looked like an it was a 1/4" higher then the aftermarket setup.. :nonono: Wondering how much the iso's will raise it if i can get them in there. This sucks.
It sounds like you didnt take out the upper IRS subframe bolts. Once removed, it should come down at least 5-6" inches which is all you really need. You dont need to touch anything on the front IRS subframe, it allows the back of the IRS to swing down. You followed this?

Back end on jack stands, jack the control arms up to relieve bolt pressure, remove brake line bracket from control arm, remove lower shock bolts and let the arms droop, remove the upper IRS bolts and let it slowly drop as far as it can and the springs should fall out. If they dont fall out the upper IRS arms are bound. Get a pry bar and pry inside and out on the upper mount. Keep the jack under the IRS when doing this as its a lot of weight that will fall as soon as its able. Helps having a second person watch the springs to see how far the IRS needs to drop to pull them out. Its not far, maybe 4-6"

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
I did not remove both of them on each side at the same time. Would that help? What's odd is you can see the control arm bottoming out on the black frame. Mean it's at the lowest point.

Last edited:

b_dike

Established Member
Unbolt exhaust brackets
Struts
LCA's
Brake line brackets
Both IRS bolts

Slowly lower the sub frame with jack and both springs will literally just fall out.

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
Bingo that was it, took both upper bolts out from each side and then it dropped lol. With all stock coils and iso's with the rear cut 1/4 coils in the rear only it measures 27 1/2 all around. I'm happy, ride is nice and l/t's are scrapping thanks for all the help guys :beer:

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
Here is a pic of her with some new 18's ;-) I know there are a lot of people that really like the look of a lower Cobra (me included) I needed to make a compromise with having l/t's and also a desire to have a better ride quality more like stock.

New wheels/tires are AFS 18x9 275/35/18 Vredestein Sessanta up front and the rears are 18x10.5 Vredestein Sessanta 295/35/18's. Front springs are oem stock while the rear coils are cut about a 1/2" coil given the finally stance of 27" 1/2 front fender height and 27 3/4 in the rear fender height.

Absolutely love the way she drives for now actually had a smile on my face while driving back home today. Plan to do more driving with the wifey in this car and enjoy it more, thanks again guys for all your suggestions and help.

IMG_3690.jpg

p.s. Brad "03cobra#694" if i cut the coils ( since i know your going to tell me to lower it) you'll be the first to know :burnout:

Last edited:

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
Nice! Where did you find 18s so fast?

Thanks Jefe, went with AFS's wheels and tire package. Didn't want anyone locally installing the tires since I'm not sure who around my area knows how not to f up wheels yet lol. Already wishing I had 305 on the rear ;-)

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
Back again with the stock coils cut

Ok ok i know I should have done this while i had the stocker out oh well... Any way I just couldn't live with the stock height with the after market wheels seem to make it worse mostly do to the lower profile tires it gave it a funny look. Moving on, today i cut the fronts 1/2 coil and the rears are now 3/4 coil cut. Front wheel well height is 26 5/8 and the rear measures 27 1/8, which gives it a little rake. I'm afraid to go lower in the front and rear for multiple reasons. The front tires are 275 on 9" afs rims and look like they stick out kind of far. Also the rears are 295 with 10.5 rims, it looks like i'm gonna have to roll the lip if i go any lower or i'll cut the tires.

Bottom line it looks much better, and i still can go on my lift with out scrapping the l/t's :rockon:

Sorry for the bad "after" pics it was getting late.

Before
IMG_3687.jpg

After
2003cobra12coilfront34coilrear.jpg

Before
IMG_3690.jpg

After
2003cobracutcoils.jpg

Last edited:

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
Thanks Jefe, Its amazing how much difference it looks just going down a little. The formula seems to be 1/2 coil for an 1" for the front but the back i think requires a little more imo.

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
3/4 hubcentric wheel spacer installed

Been waiting to do this mod for some time now, doesn't seem like much but imo it really makes a difference when looking at the rear of a 03 Cobra. Wasn't sure what size to go with so I figured I'd start with 3/4", so far no rubbing hopefully its not to low and not to far out. Need to get her out of the garage anyway, just turned 10,500 miles :) Thanks for looking.

2003Cobra34spacersa.jpg

2003Cobra34spacersc.jpg

2003Cobra34spacersb.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread