THEY SOLD ME A REPAINTED 03 COBRA

Tank

Established Member
I must have bad luck. I found out tonite that my dealer, or maybe the plant repainted my front left panel. They oversprayed the hood and also oversprayed the black plastic piece that the winshield wipers come out of.
Ive had the car almost a month and while I was at my mechanic getting my oil changed. I asked him what he thought the patch on the hood and the silver paint on the black plastic piece were, and he knew by looking at it that the left front quarter panel and some of the hood were repainted.
It's too late to call the dealer tonite, but I will tomorrow.
I'm really pissed off, and I wanted to run this past all of you as to what you would do if it was your car.
The car is satin silver so unless there is another one out there then i guess i'm S.O.L. for getting the color I really wanted.
I just can't believe this.
Tim:gt:

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
That is total b*shit to sell a 35K car it already had an incident. Isn't that illegal btw something about disclosure.

Tank

Established Member
Well, I really love the satin silver. I am gonna ask for another one and hope that theres one more out there. Aside from that repainting is out of the question because the car will never look right and they always seem to screw something up when they paint it
Here's the BIG QUESTION what would you do in my shoes? I want to hear some other people's thoughts on this as I am so mad that i might miss something obvious... Thanks in advance

RED '03

Established Member
Where the hell is the quality is job #1. I am pissed for you. Stick the car up the dealer's ass. Get the Ford regional rep in and call SVT. No excuse for this. Sometimes shit happens in the plant but it has to be repaired right. SVT should be able to tell if the car was repaired at the plant, whether the dealer tells you the truth or not. I believe the plant keeps records of repairs. Anyway someone owes you a new car or fix it right.

IRON MACHINE

Established Member
It's not all that uncommon that a panel will get repaired at the factory or even the dealer. It doesn't sound like the whole car was damaged in an accident (which would be a different story). You would be surprised to see what damage occurs during production and delivery - cuts, scratches and dents are very common and will be fixed by refinishing the panel. If the repair otherwise looks good, and there's just overspray, it's not that big a deal for the dealer to clean it up. Unless there's signs of major damage that has been repaired (i.e. from a serious accident) I would not worry too much about it - certainly they would not build a whole new car just because one panel was damaged.

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Do the attachment bolts on the inside of the fender (pop the hood and look where the fender attaches) look like they've been off? If it was just a scratch that was repainted, I'd have them clean it up. If the fender was taken off (should be obvious looking at those bolts) for a major repair/replacement, I'd sue...

03ShadowCobra

To the Hindenpeter!!!
Established Member
When I bought my 01 Acura CL-S the dealer had a silver one on the lot that had a completely different colored front fender. The car was Silver and the front fender was like a dark grey. The dealer said he couldn't see the difference (typical dealer response) so I went and got the service manager and from across the parking lot he could tell the difference. Needless to say I didn't buy the car their.

tommylightning

No status!!
Established Member
Originally posted by toofast4u
That is total b*shit to sell a 35K car it already had an incident. Isn't that illegal btw something about disclosure.

Any body work that is less than $770 from the factory does not have to be disclosed to the dealership that is getting the car. If it is more than that, the dealer does not get the car and the car is re-done and auctioned off. Ford then replaces a vehicle for the dealership.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
That is interesting Tommy, thanks. How did they come up with the $770 number? Did they pull numbers out of a hat or did they find that the average damage done is less than $771:-0

Hulkinator

Oh yah, I agree with three other posters I would call SVT and the Ford Rep after speaking with the dealer first to see how they plan on remedying this problem. I found out after having my silver L for a month that same thing happened to my right front fender. They did the right thing and there was no problem

Good Luck

tommylightning

No status!!
Established Member
Originally posted by FordSVTFan
That is interesting Tommy, thanks. How did they come up with the $770 number? Did they pull numbers out of a hat or did they find that the average damage done is less than $771:-0

Hulkinator

Oh yah, I agree with three other posters I would call SVT and the Ford Rep after speaking with the dealer first to see how they plan on remedying this problem. I found out after having my silver L for a month that same thing happened to my right front fender. They did the right thing and there was no problem

Good Luck

Shrug smilie goes here. I think it's just like any other merchandise that is sold, if it has too much damage it goes to an outlet store.

Robb03

Established Member
It could be worse, least your rear main isn't leaking like mine was. Make those Ford people fix it. They need to do it right.

Tank

Established Member
Thank you all for your replies
I just spoke with the sales manager at the dealership(my salesperson was not working) and he came off sounding like this kind of thing happens all the time. He said he would check into it for me. So Ill just wait for the next call.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by Tank
he came off sounding like this kind of thing happens all the time.

What does this mean? Rape, murder, and random acts of violence happen all of the time does that mean that we should just accept them because they happen often.

FINICKY

Established Member
hey dont feel bad my pasenger side door was resprayed.. the color matches fine but i can see the overspray of the clear coat on the lower portion of the door. also you can see the line where the masked it under the body line. if you put the car on the lift and look up at the door its very noticable. but on the ground its fine.. oh well not sure what to do either i think i might be better off leaving it alone

Tank

Established Member
I just spoke with the service manager and he said that it was not the dealership that painted it. So he said that he needs to backtrack.
The car came with a plastic card that said that it was randomly selected for a quality check and was found to be "defect free before leaving Dearborn assembly plant"
The shipper doesent repaint cars do they?
So i guess the bullshit denial game starts. I told him that getting me another Satin Silver should be top on his list of things to do. He said allright Ill start looking.
I dont know about what paint jobs cost but would the entire length of the top of the front quarter panel where it joins with the hood and then goes to the edge be over $770 to repair?

King Cobra 03

Established Member
ooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh yea
i sometimes work in port newark in n.j. where these cars come into, and trust me those 1-2 miles from the ships or trains (how ever way they are shipped) they beat the crap out of the cars, where they store them they have a full body shop to patch them up when they get banged up.:burn:

OneSVTFan

Established Member
Guys, I have to agree with King Cobra 03. I had a Mineral Grey ordered, came in with a huge chip out of the paint on the drivers door AND they had tried to touch it up with touch up paint. I refused the car and reordered a DSG (which I just got last week:)
The dealer told me that as many as 1/3 of the new cars come in with something wrong with them. Sad that you can't get a new car from Ford that has not been to the body shop. I did see the car after the door had been repainted and you could not tell that it had been repainted and someone bought it and I am sure never knew.

Users who are viewing this thread