THEY SOLD ME A REPAINTED 03 COBRA

Sonic 03 Cobra

Yes, that's a 2011
Established Member
Originally posted by OneSVTFan
Sad that you can't get a new car from Ford that has not been to the body shop. I did see the car after the door had been repainted and you could not tell that it had been repainted and someone bought it and I am sure never knew.

If only 1/3 of the cars are damaged when they get to the dealer, Ford is doing something right... Ask an import dealer how many of their cars are damaged on arrival (Mercedez is pretty close to 100% of the cars needing some kind of work on arrival I've been told... by my dealer).

genus5033

Established Member
Kinda' funny I'm reading this thread today. My Cobra is going back to the dealers today because someone pried off the Cobra emblem off of the left fender before I took delivery. Never had a problem with this dealers touchup as yet but we'll see. Dealer had several Cobra's that had this problem happen to them. Seems to me that buffing out the overspray would pretty much make it invisible if done right.

So far my biggest complaint is just like my '95 GT when I took delivery of it the top is out of alignment and leaks like a sieve in a car wash! They'll be fixing that too!

Tank

Established Member
So here's the latest. The service manager called me and asked me to bring the car in so that they could look at the damaged areas. The service manager wanted the head of the service dept to see the car. They still insisted on the phone that they didnt repaint the car.
I show up at the dealership and before I could get the door closed a gentlemen greeted me and said that he was the one I was supposed to meet and that he recognised the car immediatly as one that had transmission fluid spilled on the hood!!!! he said that they had repainted it and he knew it was the one the minute he saw it. This came as a shock to me that now he is saying that they did repaint the car at the dealership (which contradicts the other managers statements)
So I said that this should have been disclosed to me and if i had known that the car was that badly damaged then i would not have bought the car.
He said lets go in and talk to Paul ( the sales manager who swore that the car did not get repainted there) So we go inside and he goes to get Paul They put me in an office and when paul arrives he is told about the transmission fluid and the repaint well to say the least they were honest about the incedent and fessed up. Anyways i told them they owed me another Satin silver or Silver metallic if they cant locate a Satin Silver. And reimburse me for all the stuff i had done to the car...even the cost of half of my Zaino..
They said they had to talk to the owner tomorrow and tell him the whole story and they will call me tomorrow.

The first 03 Cobra that hit the ground here needed a rear bumper cover. Factory sent out a prepainted one that matched perfectly. The convertible we just received had a huge red smudge on the rear bumper again. I think it is the shipping company who is making all the mistakes. This is quite common on many vehicles.

I have also seen cars that had mistakes at the factory. My own pearl white Mountaineer had an eyelash in the clearcoat of the hood. I have to wonder how that got there as all the paint is applied by robotics.

Don't let a dealership repaint your car. Think about the total loss of value you get from something like that. When you go to trade a vehicle these days, the person doing the appraisal typically uses a paint depth meter to see what the MIL thickness is around the car. Any variance typically shows a repaint. When the history is not known or documented, the vealue plummets due to the assumption of an accident. Disclosed or not, the value drops.

My M3 had a ding put in the rear quarter panel by a worker with a weedeater who thought that trimming a nearby rock bed was not a bad idea. The damage was only $2200 to fix, but would have meant a $7000.00 drop in value to the car!! So, I left it like it was and sold the car with the ding and only lost $1500.00 in retail value.

Investigate thoroughly... File a "Deceptive Trade Practices Act" against the Dealer and force them to replace your car and all related investments. A DTPA lawsuit carries "Treble Damages" which means you get three times your loss in return if judged in your favor by the courts. It is one of the strongest suits you can file against a dealer.

FastCobra

Established Member
Thats cool Tank! Looks like you are getting somewhere and they admit to repainting it!! Stand your ground and let them know they ONLY solution is a NEW 03 Cobra!!

The first 03 Cobra that hit the ground here needed a rear bumper cover. Factory sent out a prepainted one that matched perfectly. The convertible we just received had a huge red smudge on the rear bumper again. I think it is the shipping company who is making all the mistakes. This is quite common on many vehicles.

I have also seen cars that had mistakes at the factory. My own pearl white Mountaineer had an eyelash in the clearcoat of the hood. I have to wonder how that got there as all the paint is applied by robotics.

Don't let a dealership repaint your car. Think about the total loss of value you get from something like that. When you go to trade a vehicle these days, the person doing the appraisal typically uses a paint depth meter to see what the MIL thickness is around the car. Any variance typically shows a repaint. When the history is not known or documented, the vealue plummets due to the assumption of an accident. Disclosed or not, the value drops.

My M3 had a ding put in the rear quarter panel by a worker with a weedeater who thought that trimming a nearby rock bed was not a bad idea. The damage was only $2200 to fix, but would have meant a $7000.00 drop in value to the car!! So, I left it like it was and sold the car with the ding and only lost $1500.00 in retail value.

Investigate thoroughly... File a "Deceptive Trade Practices Act" against the Dealer and force them to replace your car and all related investments. A DTPA lawsuit carries "Treble Damages" which means you get three times your loss in return if judged in your favor by the courts. It is one of the strongest suits you can file against a dealer.

Tank

Established Member
The dealership just called me and told me that " he lied about my car being the one that transmission fluid was spilled on and that that car was in thier body shop right now being repaired. He said that the factory rep needed to see the car and asked if i could leave it at the dealership for 5 or 6 hours so that they could come by and take a look. He said that they would give me a rental for that time. So im back at square one with the who is at fault and who knew what.... I wonder if the other person who bought the satin silver with the transmission fluid was told up front about the repaint before they purchaced the car?
Im confused now at what the truth really is with the 3 complete reversals of position that the dealership has now made.
THANK YOU all for your considerate replys, it helps to have such knowlegeable friends on this board. The "Deceptive Trade Practices Act" and Gore vs. BMW was a perfect match for my situation. I hope that i get a chance to return the favor to all of you who helped me with this.
Thanks again...Tim

Users who are viewing this thread