These Turboed Terminators are insane!!!

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
The MACA had a dyno day at Johnny Lightning Performance in Lancaster, Pa yesterday and a Hellion turbocharged 04' blew everyone away with a 712 RWHP/719 RWTQ pull at 21 lbs of boost. Just insane power for a very streetable Terminator that drove nearly 180 miles to the Dyno Day!!!

Sure made a lot of the other Cobra folks in attendance start to think TURBO!

BradN01

Yes, it's factory paint
Established Member
I know that I'm thinking a lot harder about it than I was last year. I'm thinking maximize the car with the port and all supporting mods and then save up for the turbo kit. Were there any engine mods on the car with 21 lbs.?

BradN01

Yes, it's factory paint
Established Member
Edit, found my answer. Isn't 21 lbs. a little high for a stock block?

Last edited:

03cobrarocks

Established Member
03sonicsvt said:
so about 7370 plus labor. Thats a lot. Why not just a whipple and a 100 shot?

welll I think the same thing... but in my personal opinion the cheapest way to be fast is get ported blower, lower pulley, full exhaust, intake supporting mods and a 100-125 shot o and a lot of weight reduction...

but diffrent strokes for different folks.. I think most people wanna go turbo just to make insane power and some people dont want TWO power adders... plus nitrious I would assume is annoying to get filled after awhile.

but I would agree that a whipple at 19-21 psi and a 75-100 shot would be plenty for me... wait what am I saying :bash:

but twin turbos on a cobra defiantly has a huge cool factor!!!!!!!!!!!

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
A Whipple and a 100 shot doesn't even come close. My bud was running that same exact combo. Whipple @ 23lbs with a 100 shot and went 10.70's @ 132 with a complete stock suspension. With the Hellion and no bottle, 10.01 @ 141. I was running a ported Eaton with a 200 shot, and it's not even going to come close to what a turbo car can do.

Mike K

مسافر عالمي
Established Member
I have really been thinking about going Turbo, specificaly the kit that Postban has. The selling factor for the turbo (for me) is the ability to make big power on pump gas. If you go above 18-19 psi on a twin screw you need race gas AND you cant control boost so you will need race gas in every tank.

I want to be able to have 700 HP and not worry about mixing my gas right.

-Mike

*EDIT*

Here are Blown02's numbers:
4v engine with the HP TT kit (i think it is the HP kit)
Here were my numbers, MPH had to stop the pull at 6300rpms, because it was out of fuel, it wouldve made alot more. It also has stock 01 cobra heads, cams, intake, and throttle body and running 10.6-12.1 a/f. Still is returnless style, with only 60lbs, bap and dual cobra pumps and tank.
20psi race gas 751rwhp/768rwtq
10psi-mid 500rwhp
15psi pump-633rwhp/641rwtq
18psi pump gas-684rwhp/695rwtq
20psi pump gas-715rwhp/733rwtq

Last edited:

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
Boost is boost...anything over 17lbs and you are going to need race gas if you want to be safe. I will be making 700+hp on 15psi, any more boost than that and I will be running race gas.

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
there are a couple advantage of the turbo over the supercharger + Nitrous. First, you can make more power with less octane. Second, you can turn down your boost via a boost controller much easier than you can swap pullies. For daily driver usage, just turn down the boost to a healthy 10 psi, and make a mere 500+rwhp. Plus, you never need to worry about your Nitrous running out. And due to the spool up time, I would imagine that 700rwhp turbo is more streetable than the same combo with a supercharger.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
03gobluecobra said:
there are a couple advantage of the turbo over the supercharger + Nitrous. First, you can make more power with less octane. Second, you can turn down your boost via a boost controller much easier than you can swap pullies. For daily driver usage, just turn down the boost to a healthy 10 psi, and make a mere 500+rwhp. Plus, you never need to worry about your Nitrous running out. And due to the spool up time, I would imagine that 700rwhp turbo is more streetable than the same combo with a supercharger.
Bingo! That's one of the real neat features of this setup......TRBO VNM has a dial mounted near the steering column where he can contol the boost to pretty much whatever level he desires. His first pull was like 608/624 @ 15 lbs, his second was 688/697 or so @ 18+, and his third was the 712/719 @ 20.7 lbs. Just pick your poison! All three pulls were done within 10 minutes so it's not like heat soak is a big concern!

And I helped him a little at times with the install of the setup and, although his Cobra is a very well thought out and executed project, the turbo setup itself can be done by someone with experienced performance modification/ mechanical skills.

Last edited:

HAVEIGHT 13R

Established Member
The turbo will operate at cooler temps for the same power as the Roots blowers, and you will get considerably better fuel mileage for those that car, turbos are also easier to upgrade, there is a higher intial cost, but for those that feel so. It is worth it, and its different. just my opinion :rockon:

TRBO VNM

I will start another thread with my graphs from this past weekend. as stated, I drive daily at 10#. I can run up to 18# easy on 93 octane. my tune is so conservative that I can afford to go that high and not worry. but think about it, who the hell needs that kind of power on the street? I can stick to my 10-13# on the street and even 15# and nobody around here that is daily driving will touch me.(sorry for the confidence, but the area doesn't really have anything to compete with).

I put in some 100-104 octane and up the boost in 3 seconds and run 20#+ if I want. all on the same tune.

and again as posted, it doesn't get hot. granted the temps up here right now aren't too high, but I took a 25min drive with 3 pulls in 3rd and 4th gear and the intake was ice cold. literally.

took a drive, straight up to JLP, 3hr drive and no stops. open the hood and touch the intake, not ice cold and not even luke warm. it was cold. I couldn't believe it. but think about it, you are cruising around and not in boost, so you are naturally aspirated and running very efficient. not to mention I probably got about 300 miles to the tank that day.

my mods are hellion turbo kit 76mm w/.96 a/r, borla stinger catback. that is it for power mods.

I have the fuel system to support it and the suspension.

the motor is bone factory stock from the tbody to the oil pan. as Ironterp said first pull was 15.x, second 19.x I think, and the 3rd was 20.7.

some say these motors can't take it. I beg to differ. with the right tuning and fuel they are capable. KB guys and whipple guys are pushing 24#+ and my 24# if I ever decide to run it is a lot more efficient and easier on the motor than the KB/whipple or even an eaton and spray.

I made 495 rwtq and 469 rwhp at 10# on my first trip to the dyno when I had the .81 exhaust housing on.

Smokey1226

Dirrty North
Established Member
I really want a turboed cobra becuase one the hissing of a turbo> any wine of a s/c. Plus like was said above you wont be spinning the tires right away out of the whole and it allows you time to get some grip then the power is turned on. I love the ability to get great mileage when i want to. But for me i wouldnt really go above 15psi in the case of the #'s above just because anything more than that is overkill and a half for the street.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
A big factor that should also be considered... is that no power is lost to the power adder...

A PD blower takes power to spin it....... power = heat and stresses on the pistons and rods and crank...

722RWHP with a blower car means that at a 15% loss to the drive train... the flywheel power would have to be 850!!!

Now how much Heat and stress are the pistons and rods seeing.... if say maybe 100 hp is lost spinning the blower??? :eek:

The potential for longevity is much better in a turbo :banana: :rockon: ... If you can refrain from cranking it to the moon all the time... :rollseyes

markm3673

Established Member
we just got done witha hellion kit on a 03 with a 4r70w in it and there is no lag at all from a dead stop at idle and you go wot the turbo is lit and blowing the tires off the car in less than 5 feet and if you felt the diferance between 15psi and 20 psi you would be amazed this one is making 22 psi and it just flys the auto is the way to go with the trans controler

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
You know I never thought before about a Turbo for the Cobra. However, my point of view has in fact changed. Maybe it is better to go with the Turbo's that a twin screw?

Users who are viewing this thread