The TRUTH About Mystic Chrome Paint

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
I heard all you have to do is get green, blue, and purple spray paint and just spray them on the car to get the mystichrome effect. Then add some scotch tape for the clear coat.

:D

That really is great info. Information like this makes me really glad I joined this site years ago. I have learned a lot from this forum. :rockon:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Thats an awesome write up from the op and even more info from the rest of you guys.
Since "mystichrome" is a custom blend can it be blended to reflect a different color flow?
Like yellow to red for example.

No. It is my understanding that the range of color change, and the colors within that change are determined by the refraction of light upon the Chroma-flare chip that is selected. The other colors added to the blend are static fixed colors and lend a more subdued and subtle feel to the Mystichrome formula.
Please note that this how I currently understand the way this paint works and it is possible I could be mistaken. (but I doubt it)

FlaSeaDude

Building a Perfect Beast
Established Member
No. It is my understanding that the range of color change, and the colors within that change are determined by the refraction of light upon the Chroma-flare chip that is selected. The other colors added to the blend are static fixed colors and lend a more subdued and subtle feel to the Mystichrome formula.
Please note that this how I currently understand the way this paint works and it is possible I could be mistaken. (but I doubt it)

Jimmy, your statement above is certainly consistent with the information provided by Ford Motor Co., "To that end, DuPont chemists started with the Green/Purple ChromaFlair pigments that shift from bright green through a range of blues and then into purple. The DuPont chemists blended that with traditional black and green pigments for visual balance and deep, rich colors. As a finishing touch, they added a pinch of aluminum flakes to enhance bright, metallic sparkle."

If someone wanted a similar effect but with different colors (i.e. yellow to orange to red, etc.) I believe their paint would need to be based on a different set of ChromaFlair pigments.

SmokinCobra420

Kush is good MmmKay!
Established Member
Jimmy, your statement above is certainly consistent with the information provided by Ford Motor Co., "To that end, DuPont chemists started with the Green/Purple ChromaFlair pigments that shift from bright green through a range of blues and then into purple. The DuPont chemists blended that with traditional black and green pigments for visual balance and deep, rich colors. As a finishing touch, they added a pinch of aluminum flakes to enhance bright, metallic sparkle."

If someone wanted a similar effect but with different colors (i.e. yellow to orange to red, etc.) I believe their paint would need to be based on a different set of ChromaFlair pigments.

you are correct sir. i have a co-worker that has his sport track, paint in a shifting paint, it is a deep hunter green - rootbeer (looks kinda ugly) but its a very drastic change. Try House of Kolor, they offer a few different "chameleon" paints.

http://www.houseofkolor.com/hok/products/specialty.jsp

Last edited:

Homebrew

Established Member
I order my supply from paintscratch.com just put in the year,make and model and it will come up with the paint for that year. I have been ordering from them for 2 years now and i can assure you their paint matches 100%!

I stumbled upon that site a few years ago while looking for mystichrome touch-up paint. I noticed that it lists the mystichrome like this:
"Mystichrome Metallic Clearcoat not available"

So I assumed they didn't sell it. Unless it's meant to be read as the clearcoat is not available, though thats seems rather strange. Just curious if you've actually ordered mystichrome successfully from there or not. Because if they do in fact sell it, I'd like to try one of the pre-mixed spray cans on a couple models.

Tractionless1

Established Member
Oh GREAT Degenerated One - If you had bothered to read my entire post :read: you would have also seen that I have in my posession all the materials required to apply the MystiChrome paint system (base, activator, thinner, paint and special clear coat) and it all came from DuPont. I have the paint and I have the cut sheets so there's no way you (or anyone else for that matter) are going to convince me that DuPont does not produce the MystiChrome paint.

I'm not saying that BASF doesn't have the paint available also. I'm just saying that MystiChrome was developed by DuPont and (as of last year) you could still get the paint from them.

As I originally posted in #3 yes you can get it from Dupont. I had the choice to get it from Dupont but it is not longer available as a factory pack. Tint now has to be added therefore you are stuck with the chore of matching the tone to what is on the car. NOT going to happen per BASF. Not to mention it is NOT polyester base which is what was used at the factory.

No one said you couldn't get it from Dupont, in fact you can get it from many manufacturers. But if you want the exact match and formula that was utilized at the factory BASF is the way to go.

I asked the BASF Fl. rep. on the phone if Dupont was originally used at the factory and his answer was, "Dupont is the sizzle we are the steak." The formulation was sold to Dupont to market, BASF is the creator!

Last edited:

Tractionless1

Established Member
Does anyone else think the paint is super brittle- Seems like I have loads of chips considering the mileage on the car. Maybe im just being super anal but ....

I spoke with the shop on Friday that will be repairing my paint. It just so happens to be a Ford dealer who uses R-M line BASF paint. The shop manager has painted Mystic's before, both spot fixes and entire units. He said the factory paint is laid down as thin as possible with the cheapist clear possible.

Tractionless1

Established Member
I have painted many pieces for my car with the Dupont Mystichrome paint, and it matches perfectly. This is the first I have heard that BASF had anything to do with it. I would have to question why BASF would develop it and let Dupont take the credit for it?

Answered above. And the Factory Pack was available from Dupont until recently, therefore you probably did paint many panels and have it match perfectly. What I am saying is it is no longer available from Dupont, they told me to call BASF.

Dupont is a household name. I am sure BASF didn't lose it's butt over it and it seems to me the contract is up as Dupont is telling those looking for the paint to call BASF. You don't tell customers to call your competator if you aren't in bed with them.

Last edited:

Tractionless1

Established Member
Yes you can, as I originally said it can be had from many suppliers. Napa is adding the tint in per their mixing ratio charts. Again it will NEVER match up perfectly and most likely isn't a polyester base which will make blending very difficult for a spot repair.

i can get it 100% ready to spray through NAPA, our brand of paint is a Sherwin Williams product, and i can get it for $200pt

Amount
1.00 Pints ( change )

Sprayable
change mix ratio

16 : 16 : 2
FOR FLEX,CHIP RESIST & OE CERTIF
4901M SPEC GM CERTIFICATION
2 OZ. HARDENER PER SPRAYABLE QT.
MIX RATIO 16 : 16 : 2

Number .... Color Name... Cumulative.... Non-Cumulative
MTT21.... M/T GR/PURPLE... 91.2... 91.2
9886.... UHS BLUE.... 139.2... 48.0
TS271.... EFFECT ADDITI... 170.4... 31.2
MTT22.... M/T CYAN/PURP... 194.4.... 24.0
TS281.... HS B/C BLACK ... 207.1... 12.7
9901.... AZURE BLUE... 216.7... 9.6
9800.... WHITE... 217.7... 1.0
BCS6.... STAB-MED/SLOW ... 409.1.... 191.4
8876.... LOW VOC HARD... 439.2... 30.1

SmokinCobra420

Kush is good MmmKay!
Established Member
Not to mention it is NOT polyester base which is what was used at the factory.

After speaking to my paint rep on sat, he told me that by the end of 2010 federal law is making ALL automotive paint WATER based, so this is an irrelevant fact. I understand what you point is, that yes the color can be bought from a number of companies, however it WONT be a FACTORY PACK. Meaning that some adjustments will need to be made if your doing touch ups or panel repair, me on the other hand im looking to have mine tottaly resprayed. I will have it layed with a thicker coat of base,top, and final clear. so i dont care about a factory pack since mine will be from bumper to bumper.

Tractionless1

Established Member
]

Is this a Dupount/BASF only thing? NO!

No one EVER said it was a Dupont/BASF only thing. I purposly added in my original post it could be had anywhere.

BUT if you want it done right yes it IS a BASF thing. I intended my post to lead members in the right direction. If you all want cut corners that's cool, but I only want the best the original for my ride.

I could have very well went with Dupont or any other brand for that matter and test panels would have cost $362!!! That's before the damage is corrected and permanent paint is even mixed!! I don't know what the Sherman Williams costs but if a paint shop is doing test panels for free I would be very skeptical about the quality of the product they are using!!

Tractionless1

Established Member
After speaking to my paint rep on sat, he told me that by the end of 2010 federal law is making ALL automotive paint WATER based, so this is an irrelevant fact. I understand what you point is, that yes the color can be bought from a number of companies, however it WONT be a FACTORY PACK. Meaning that some adjustments will need to be made if your doing touch ups or panel repair, me on the other hand im looking to have mine tottaly resprayed. I will have it layed with a thicker coat of base,top, and final clear. so i dont care about a factory pack since mine will be from bumper to bumper.

You are meaning to say water-borne not based, and the BASF will still be polyester based as it was at the factory.

SmokinCobra420

Kush is good MmmKay!
Established Member
No one EVER said it was a Dupont/BASF only thing. I purposly added in my original post it could be had anywhere.

BUT if you want it done right yes it IS a BASF thing. I intended my post to lead members in the right direction. If you all want cut corners that's cool, but I only want the best the original for my ride.

I could have very well went with Dupont or any other brand for that matter and test panels would have cost $362!!! That's before the damage is corrected and permanent paint is even mixed!! I don't know what the Sherman Williams costs but if a paint shop is doing test panels for free I would be very skeptical about the quality of the product they are using!!

They are not doing test panels for free, i would be supplying the paint, all my body shop has to do is spray it. Like i said though im looking at getting the WHOLE car resprayed, and i would bet that side by side when im done, nobody would be able to tell that your paint was BASF and mine was Martin Senour.

Your information is very well appreciated, please dont think that im bashing you. Like a good friend, a cobra owner and painter once said, "after spraying candy and other expensive paints, paint is what it is, PAINT"
Maybe in 04 - 06ish you wouldnt want to go with another producer of Mystichrome, but this is 08, im pretty sure paint compaines have gotten it down pat by now.

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
I stumbled upon that site a few years ago while looking for mystichrome touch-up paint. I noticed that it lists the mystichrome like this:
"Mystichrome Metallic Clearcoat not available"

So I assumed they didn't sell it. Unless it's meant to be read as the clearcoat is not available, though thats seems rather strange. Just curious if you've actually ordered mystichrome successfully from there or not. Because if they do in fact sell it, I'd like to try one of the pre-mixed spray cans on a couple models.

i havent ordered mystichrome from them yet. But if you email them asking if the clearcoat is different from other paint codes. Im sure its probably the same thing though. :shrug: All their spray paint cans are 100% dead on. I used them to do the interior trim panels and they match my outside 100%

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
Thats what I'm looking to do when I get back. Repaint my interior parts w/ the actual paint. I used some other stuff that was close but I knew it wasnt the same. You guys arent saying they have Mystichrome in a spray can are you?

wvmystichrome

Established Member
Thats what I'm looking to do when I get back. Repaint my interior parts w/ the actual paint. I used some other stuff that was close but I knew it wasnt the same. You guys arent saying they have Mystichrome in a spray can are you?

The local NAPA store told me he could mix me some in an aerosol can but it would NOT have the additive as the spray nozzle tip was not big enought for the flakes to pass. It would just be all the base colors mixed. I told him no thanks. I would like to have some to paint my car hauler in make it match the Cobra. BUT I can not see paying the very high cost.

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
Motoblue>BF :poke:

Sorry I couldn't resist. (and before you get defensive yes Doug I have BF pulleys lol)

Last edited:

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
yes im telling you the can put mystichrome in a spray can.
The local NAPA store told me he could mix me some in an aerosol can but it would NOT have the additive as the spray nozzle tip was not big enought for the flakes to pass. It would just be all the base colors mixed. I told him no thanks. I would like to have some to paint my car hauler in make it match the Cobra. BUT I can not see paying the very high cost.
And no, the ones they sell have TONS of flake in it. My trim panels shine just as much as my exterior.

Users who are viewing this thread