The TRUTH About Mystic Chrome Paint

Mystichrome

Spoiler Delete
Established Member
I have painted many pieces for my car with the Dupont Mystichrome paint, and it matches perfectly. This is the first I have heard that BASF had anything to do with it. I would have to question why BASF would develop it and let Dupont take the credit for it?

SmokinCobra420

Kush is good MmmKay!
Established Member
i can get it 100% ready to spray through NAPA, our brand of paint is a Sherwin Williams product, and i can get it for $200pt

Amount
1.00 Pints ( change )

Sprayable
change mix ratio

16 : 16 : 2
FOR FLEX,CHIP RESIST & OE CERTIF
4901M SPEC GM CERTIFICATION
2 OZ. HARDENER PER SPRAYABLE QT.
MIX RATIO 16 : 16 : 2

Number .... Color Name... Cumulative.... Non-Cumulative
MTT21.... M/T GR/PURPLE... 91.2... 91.2
9886.... UHS BLUE.... 139.2... 48.0
TS271.... EFFECT ADDITI... 170.4... 31.2
MTT22.... M/T CYAN/PURP... 194.4.... 24.0
TS281.... HS B/C BLACK ... 207.1... 12.7
9901.... AZURE BLUE... 216.7... 9.6
9800.... WHITE... 217.7... 1.0
BCS6.... STAB-MED/SLOW ... 409.1.... 191.4
8876.... LOW VOC HARD... 439.2... 30.1

Last edited:

SmokinCobra420

Kush is good MmmKay!
Established Member
i own a Satin Silver stang and my MystiChrome. I love love the silver with all my blue accents, but the mystichrome is the king of cobra colors, it turns more heads, and has a higher cost factor, not to mention it resembles the way a King Cobras skin shifts color. Plus our seats are not just grey suede, they change color like the car.

jbrown1238

Built on 4-7-03 @ 3:47:15
Established Member
i can get it 100% ready to spray through NAPA, our brand of paint is a Sherwin Williams product, and i can get it for $200pt

Amount
1.00 Pints ( change )

Sprayable
change mix ratio

Several paint companies such as Dupont and Sherwin Williams (aka Martin Senour) can mix the color for a potential customer. However if the customer wants a factory pack they need to contact BASF as the original post states.

Postal Pimp

torque is my heroin....
Established Member
Does anyone else think the paint is super brittle- Seems like I have loads of chips considering the mileage on the car. Maybe im just being super anal but ....

the only prob i got is just in front of the rear tire on the rocker panel. it gets hit with dirt in from the front tires i think, but other than that its pretty tight.:rockon:

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
A pint of 2004 Ford Mystichrome code G6 is $150.00 at Finish Master. It takes 4-6 days to order directly from BASF (R-M stock #688072) or you can over night it for approx. an additional $90.00. This price is for the color only. This does not include the cost of the other components.

wow you are clearly getting ripped off then! i can get a QUART for $132. Hell i can get a gallon for $347 And it is FACTORY style paint. All my paint i order is a dead on match for the cars i order it for.

Last edited:

SmokinCobra420

Kush is good MmmKay!
Established Member
where in the hell are you getting your paint from? this would be the first time i have EVER heard that mystichrome can be bought for 400 a gallon...seems fishy...it only takes a gallon to paint the whole car...well 5 quarts. I have talked to MANY paint and body shop owners and i doubt that you mean a gallon..if so i will buy a pint from you and test it out on some flat metal i have, if the paint is what you say it is, and matches 100%, i will buy 10 gallons!

jbrown1238

Built on 4-7-03 @ 3:47:15
Established Member
wow you are clearly getting ripped off then! i can get a QUART for $132. Hell i can get a gallon for $347 And it is FACTORY style paint. All my paint i order is a dead on match for the cars i order it for.

Yes, but is it a factory pack or a mixed quart? What brand?

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
Yep sounds fishy. Factory style but not the same thing. I'd be really surprised if it were truely an exact match to a real Mystichrome car.

Postal Pimp

torque is my heroin....
Established Member
hey 04misticobra your stance is F**kin badass!!! ive loved your car for awhile, what setup do you have and do you have rubbing with tires? also scrapes on road? :beer: btw my sig pic is old my new stance is good but it needs more.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member

Amount
1.00 Pints ( change )

Sprayable
change mix ratio

There ya go folks!!! More factual QUALITY HARD TECH!!!
I had my repair repainted with a field mix by Sherwin Williams. They only had trouble with one of the panel mixes. They re-mixed it, shot test panels , and nailed it. Then sprayed the repair areas.

It matched so well people can't tell where it starts and stops.

Other paint companies can and do mix this paint successfully in the field.

Can they botch up a batch? Sure.
Should they be shooting test panels? Absolutely!

Is this a Dupount/BASF only thing? NO!

SmokinCobra420

Kush is good MmmKay!
Established Member
There ya go folks!!! More factual QUALITY HARD TECH!!!
I had my repair repainted with a field mix by Sherwin Williams. They only had trouble with one of the panel mixes. They re-mixed it, shot test panels , and nailed it. Then sprayed the repair areas.

It matched so well people can't tell where it starts and stops.

Other paint companies can and do mix this paint successfully in the field.

Can they botch up a batch? Sure.
Should they be shooting test panels? Absolutely!

Is this a Dupount/BASF only thing? NO!

Thanks Jimmy. i have been talking to my paint rep at NAPA about this for well into 5 months now. Im doing some custom painted work and wanted to get the real deal. I didnt know you had any repairs done? this is chris (sscreaminmystic =SVTcobraclub) by the way. I cant wait to get back to houston and come to a dinner again. Hope all is well

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Thanks Jimmy. i have been talking to my paint rep at NAPA about this for well into 5 months now. Im doing some custom painted work and wanted to get the real deal. I didnt know you had any repairs done? this is chris (sscreaminmystic =SVTcobraclub) by the way. I cant wait to get back to houston and come to a dinner again. Hope all is well

:beer:

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
hey 04misticobra your stance is F**kin badass!!! ive loved your car for awhile, what setup do you have and do you have rubbing with tires? also scrapes on road? :beer: btw my sig pic is old my new stance is good but it needs more.

Thanks man. Its my DD too. Its extremely rare that the lowering has an effect around town in my car. Every now and then I have had some rubbing but I rolled the fenders just a bit so 99% is gone.
I just put on the Baer 6S 14" 6 piston brake system and I have some TF wheels on order so the look is going to change the next time I go on leave. I actually just came off leave but the wheels werent ready so I didnt get a chance to get pics of the brakes behind the new wheels. Thats going to have to wait to Dec. :nonono::(
I'm also thinking of going coil overs all around along w/ k-member/ a-arms to save weight. We'll see.

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
where in the hell are you getting your paint from? this would be the first time i have EVER heard that mystichrome can be bought for 400 a gallon...seems fishy...it only takes a gallon to paint the whole car...well 5 quarts. I have talked to MANY paint and body shop owners and i doubt that you mean a gallon..if so i will buy a pint from you and test it out on some flat metal i have, if the paint is what you say it is, and matches 100%, i will buy 10 gallons!

Yes, but is it a factory pack or a mixed quart? What brand?

Yep sounds fishy. Factory style but not the same thing. I'd be really surprised if it were truely an exact match to a real Mystichrome car.

I order my supply from paintscratch.com just put in the year,make and model and it will come up with the paint for that year. I have been ordering from them for 2 years now and i can assure you their paint matches 100%!

Last edited:

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
Thats an awesome write up from the op and even more info from the rest of you guys.
Since "mystichrome" is a custom blend can it be blended to reflect a different color flow?
Like yellow to red for example.

Users who are viewing this thread