The saving of a 1998 BAB Cobra

RedfireSVT

Established Member
that sucks but the old saying goes "if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is". didn't you look the car over or drive it before doing the deal?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You have the patience of a saint. LOL! Man, if I had traded thinking I was getting something a lot nicer than it would end up being, I definitely would be upset. As long as you're happy with what you got as far as a trade, and you can easily fix all of the issues, it's good I guess. It just seems like the buyer got the better end of this deal if your GT was in nice condition. Seemed to be.

You mentioned signs of red paint and that the car has been (badly) re-painted. Was the car originally BAB? Or red? I am guessing it was originally BAB and the used parts were a different color.

jarryd2018

Established Member
So you slapping an m112 on this car too?

Nice pick up Nathan, how many mustangs do you currently have?

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Wow that's a lot of work..

And XC90's are rated to tow a 3300 pounds..My mom's has pulled my truck before..not far but still

mysteed

Established Member
holy shit, that sucks a ton. glad you're doing it right.
Doing it right is the only way to do it, no matter the car. I've always gone the extra mile on my cars and this one will be no different.

MORE!

Lookin good, gunna keep it blue or change the color?
Keeping it BAB as it's the original color.

that sucks but the old saying goes "if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is". didn't you look the car over or drive it before doing the deal?
Tis hard to look over the car beforehand being 800+ miles away. I did have someone look at it but they just aren't as detail oriented as me. When I got there to pick up the car it was filty so I wasn't able to see all of the paint issues. Irregardless I was going to be taking the car home.

You have the patience of a saint. LOL! Man, if I had traded thinking I was getting something a lot nicer than it would end up being, I definitely would be upset. As long as you're happy with what you got as far as a trade, and you can easily fix all of the issues, it's good I guess. It just seems like the buyer got the better end of this deal if your GT was in nice condition. Seemed to be.

You mentioned signs of red paint and that the car has been (badly) re-painted. Was the car originally BAB? Or red? I am guessing it was originally BAB and the used parts were a different color.
I do have patience but sometimes I do get frustrated with the car. Though I will admit that every time I see the car in the morning when the sun is just breaking over the horizion the way the car loosk makes it all worth it. It is originally a BAB car so it will stay BAB. There were only 572 Bright Atlantic Blue Cobra's and the paint color is the one and only reason I wanted this car.

So you slapping an m112 on this car too?

Nice pick up Nathan, how many mustangs do you currently have?
I am going turbo with big boost on this one since I've done pretty much everything else. Currently I am down to four Mustangs with wich to play with. I did look at getting a 97 Cobra thsi morning but the guy wanted entirely too much money for it.

mysteed

Established Member
For those wondering, here is a mod list of what is supposed to be on the car. I will check off what I find as confirmed:

Mods:

Engine-
Teskid block- .02" overbore [CONFIRMED]
Manley 11cc pistons- 9.1cr [CONFIRMED]
Modmax H-beam rods [CONFIRMED]
Stainless steel file fit rings [CONFIRMED]
1998 Cobra crankshaft [CONFIRMED]
Melling billitt oil pump [CONFIRMED]
ARP 2000 rod bolts [CONFIRMED]
ARP headstuds [CONFIRMED]
K&N Filter [CONFIRMED]
Powdercoated black upper & lower intake [UPPER CONFIRMED-NO LOWER]
Powercoated black timing cover [CONFIRMED]
2003 Cobra radiator [CONFIRMED]
Canton coolant reservoir [CONFIRMED]
Motorcraft 9mm blue spark plug wires [CONFIRMED]

Exhaust:
MAC ceramic coated longtube headers [CONFIRMED]
Dr. Gas O/R x-pipe [CONFIRMED]
Flowmaster mufflers with turndowns [CONFIRMED-USING STOCK PIPING]

Drivetrain:
Spec Stage 3 clutch [CONFIRMED]
04 Cobra flywheel [CONFIRMED]
MGW shifter [CONFIRMED-NO GASKET INSTALLED]
Ford Racing aluminum driveshaft [CONFIRMED]
3:73 rear gears [CONFIRMED]

Suspension:
4cyl springs- front [CONFIRMED]
Ford "B" springs- rear [CONFIRMED]
Maximum Motorsports caster camber plates [CONFIRMED]
Maximum Motorsports full legnth subframe connectors [CONFIRMED]
Tokico rear shocks [CONFIRMED]
Lakewood 90/10 front struts [CONFIRMED]
BBK upper control arms [CONFIRMED]
BBK lower control arms [CONFIRMED]

Exterior:
H.O. Fibertrends Cobra R 2.5" cowl hood [CONFIRMED]
Black Cobra bumper letters [CONFIRMED]
Smoked headlights [CONFIRMED]
Red painted calipers [CONFIRMED
Fast Ford emblem [CONFIRMED]
Black rear SVT emblem [CONFIRMED]
Painted black rear valance[CONFIRMED]

Last edited:

BradN01

Yes, it's factory paint
Established Member
Nice rescue! A 98 BAB Cobra doesn't come along every day and from the looks of it you are turning around one that was heading down a bad path. Just got a quote for some BAB paint last week, after finding out that the Mystichrome paint would be $2300 a gallon!

mysteed

Established Member
Wow that's a lot of work..

And XC90's are rated to tow a 3300 pounds..My mom's has pulled my truck before..not far but still
Mine had the towing package they offered and it shows they are able to tow 5000 lbs. Either way I had no issues the whole trip.:beer:

Damn I wish I had your knowledge of cars and mechanics. It must feel great to be able to do your own work. That cobra will be bad-ass when your done. Keep us posted.
It does feel good to do all my own work but I will be the first to tell you that I don't know everything. This thread will be regularly updated when I get the time to work on the car.

Nice rescue! A 98 BAB Cobra doesn't come along every day and from the looks of it you are turning around one that was heading down a bad path. Just got a quote for some BAB paint last week, after finding out that the Mystichrome paint would be $2300 a gallon!
Yeah, I'm glad I was the one to end up with it and not Joe Anyone down the street. These types of cars require a lot of specialized care and parts and I think sometimes we as the owners forget that fact. Either way this car will end up being my (mostly) DD and with low psi sould make around 700rwhp.

Can't wait to see what you do with it. BAB is such an awesome color!
Thanks! I agree about the color though something tells me you might be a bit biased...

mysteed

Established Member
Another update:
When I took the shifter out to refill the trans I noticed that the trans tunnel boot is gone, and since I have (some) of the interior out I installed the new one from MPS Autosalvage. I also took the time to install a 03/04 Cobra center console and the ebrake boot that came with it. I also removed all the JB Weld on the corner lights and replace the corner lights with a BOI smoked set I had laying around. It also seems that I still have a few oil leaks and I traced it to the oil pan (FML) and the rear main seal (double FML). Thus it looks like at the next oil change I'll be pulling the trans and the front suspension out to fix those issues. I also seems to have a very prominant power steering leak at the pump where someone attempted to fix a previous leak with a new hard line but failed to properly seal the system so I'll be taking care of that soon as well. Isn't this all just a ton of fun? :burnout:

Since I'm doing updates today, I thought I'd toss in these pics as well.

IMG_1254.jpg

IMG_1255.jpg

edit: My IAC I ordered yesterday just rolled int eh door. Hopefully this will help with the idle issue we're having.

GeoffGT

SVT Blumpster
Established Member
i feel bad for you with this situation... yet you've handled it really well.

i think you were meant to own this car, you can fulfill it's potential...

the car looks great by the way! good luck, and keep giving us updates...

twista

Band'edid
Established Member
:whine: wow that cobra had a terrible past.

Good thing its in a good owners hands now. Who the heck would f up a cobra like that?

Good luck with the fix

Users who are viewing this thread