The Real 2015 Mustang

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
That looks like a straight up rip off of an AM front end.
There are only two constants that I have heard... One is that the 2015 makes the 2013-'14 look extremely dated.

...and the new car is a tier above the current in almost every aspect except cost. I imagine the "Muscle" will become "Pony" once again.

All that I personally have been assured by someone that has seen it is... I will love it. It could possibly take the place of my two favorites. The '67 and the '10-'12. It's a pretty bold statement, especially since they know how much I love those two.

This isn't an exact quote but...

"Ford has created another American icon that Europe and Asia will love. Not because it's more European or Asian... because its soooo damn American."

I hope this isn't BS...

Last edited:

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
Pill when is Ford supposed to release photos/unveil the car?
The 2015 Mustang is probably one of the most secretive concepts I have ever tried to pry myself into. There is NO information on anything... I imagine New York Autoshow 2014 or on April 17th during the dual birthday party. They have something really good...

The occasional "spy pic" is actually a press release by FoMoCo. It is not a luck of the draw, spy picture. Most new releases are leaked via the manufacturer as "spy shots". When ever Ford feels that the time is right and anymore pressure from us could get us cut out of the loop. We have no ammo to give Ford about the next Camaro so we dont get anything back. Nobody has heard anything outside the immediate circle but J. Mays seems really excited... and when he's excited, so am I.

We are purely spectators of the 2015 Mustang event, just like everyone else... and to be honest, I'm pretty excited about that.

sort of like how the new vette's front end rips off the new viper. I guess thats the new thing now in styling
The new Vette has kinda stole the Vipers front fascia, I know it's really lame but this is probably the only logical next step. I like it more than the C6 mostly because it doesn't look like a Corvette. The body is still shaped like a woman's shoe but at least the face looks like a Viper.

Last edited:

LostPony

Established Member
I saw those articles Lemers, that leads me to believe that the Eco Boost will be going in the Euro model car as they aren't getting the V8. Doesn't make sense to do an Eco boost and a V8 for the American market, the SVO just wasn't successful enough for Ford to follow that model again stateside, but makes sense for Europe.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
I saw those articles Lemers, that leads me to believe that the Eco Boost will be going in the Euro model car as they aren't getting the V8. Doesn't make sense to do an Eco boost and a V8 for the American market, the SVO just wasn't successful enough for Ford to follow that model again stateside, but makes sense for Europe.
In 1983, the SVO was selected by the media over the V8 5.0 HO. The times were right for a Turbo 2.3 and that time is upon us once again. Fuel economy demands worldwide may just be the "mainstream" ticket the Mustang needed. Big power sells, speed sells... styling is also a big attraction. The Mustang has all that going for it now, a lower MSRP that accompanies an Ecoboost vs. a 440hp V8 could have as many as 75% of sales.

This is how I see it...

3300lbs
300hp/300tq
36MPG

all for a base price of $25,000.

This attractive offer will not be passed up and in my opinion, an Ecoboost Mustang has an opportunity to rekindle some excitement in base model land. The original 1964 Mustang offered a base 101hp, 170ci Inline 6, which made up almost 70% of sales on the first day. On April 17th 1964, Ford sold 22,000 Mustangs in one day... Which is still a record today...

The Eco Mustang will be a global option and an excellent option at that. I may pick up a convertible turbo. I dont usually like to own convertibles nor do I buy 4 cylinders.

That being said, with gas prices as they are now, Ford has ceased the moment. Offering V8 car guys a solid base... One that doesn't feel completely neutered and perhaps slightly more agreeable with our wives. For her, it will meet her MPG requirements, has everything covered in the looks department AND, priced slightly over a Fiesta. For me its the simple stuff...

Some performance for dad and maybe no roof.

Last edited:

LostPony

Established Member
Pill, the media did indeed like the SVO, but buyers did not. The car was actually pricier than the V8 GT, and although a great handler, did not offer the same level of performance. I worked at a Ford dealer in the mid 80's and loved driving the SVO. One of my first Stangs was an 84 GT turbo and I loved it.

I don't know how pricy the new Eco Boost motor is to put in a car, but if the current V6 is already making over 300HP and getting 30+ MPG, the Eco Boost doesn't make much financial sense for Ford in the American market. It does make sense in the Euro market where the V8 reportedly will not be available.

In a few years I may look at a '15 or newer Mustang to just run around in, since I have a Boss I won't need or want a GT, but a V6 that gets decent mileage and makes respectable power would work just fine. The current motor, the 3.7, fits that bill.

I'm enjoying the debate, and in a few short months we should see who is right!

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
Pill, the media did indeed like the SVO, but buyers did not. The car was actually pricier than the V8 GT, and although a great handler, did not offer the same level of performance. I worked at a Ford dealer in the mid 80's and loved driving the SVO. One of my first Stangs was an 84 GT turbo and I loved it.

I don't know how pricy the new Eco Boost motor is to put in a car, but if the current V6 is already making over 300HP and getting 30+ MPG, the Eco Boost doesn't make much financial sense for Ford in the American market. It does make sense in the Euro market where the V8 reportedly will not be available.

In a few years I may look at a '15 or newer Mustang to just run around in, since I have a Boss I won't need or want a GT, but a V6 that gets decent mileage and makes respectable power would work just fine. The current motor, the 3.7, fits that bill.

I'm enjoying the debate, and in a few short months we should see who is right!
Another factor I haven't thought about... Will the MT82 and auto work with any future Eco4 engines? Both the V6 and 5.0 use global auto and manual transmissions. It will have to share those as well...

The SVO was more expensive and that was its downfall. Come 2015, the V8 options will be $10,000 more than a base Eco4. Also, the current V6 could stick around a few years before the Eco replaces it. If Ford starts using the Ecoboost 4 family of engines across the entire lineup, it will drive the base cost of all base vehicles way down. The base engine family is usually conceived because the cost to produce is lower and profit margins are higher.

Right now, fuel economy is a very big deal and 36-41MPG is hard to do in a V6.

Last edited:

Lemers

Established Member
I think that the Eco boost V6 will end up replacing the V8 in the future unless some major break through on MPGs in the C8 happens or the next administration repeals some of the Recents MPG standards.

NightTrain1584

Established Member
I don't know why anyone wouldn't want to be excited about a turbo 4 in a mustang. Its going to be a budget minded hotrodders dream. Cheap to buy and cheap to make fast. As Long as the motor can hold together with a lot of boost. Just a tune alone will warrant close to 25 hp and like 40 ftlbs.

chuckstang

Established Member
I think that the Eco boost V6 will end up replacing the V8 in the future unless some major break through on MPGs in the C8 happens or the next administration repeals some of the Recents MPG standards.

Ford can get even better mpgs with their currnt v8 if needed due to less weight, better aero, direct injection, cylinder deactivation, etc

Unrealford

Established Member
I don't know why anyone wouldn't want to be excited about a turbo 4 in a mustang. Its going to be a budget minded hotrodders dream. Cheap to buy and cheap to make fast. As Long as the motor can hold together with a lot of boost. Just a tune alone will warrant close to 25 hp and like 40 ftlbs.

I agree 100%

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member

Why? Because I'm a red blooded american male. I like my hot women, a good scrap once in a while, rock n'roll, a good burger and a beer and the rumble of a good sounding american V8.

I'm not some young hipster emo dork who wears girls jeans, needs my hands held for everything or need mommy to fight my battles, eat at trendy foo foo places, listens to emo music and likes the sound of a fart can car.

Long live the V8! :rockon:

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
The SVO was a great impovement overall considering what the Mustang offered at that time. First with 16" wheels, 4-wheel disks, port fuel injection, adjustible suspension, "Recaro style" seats, etc. It also got over 25mpg which was pretty good for the time. It was in no way a Fast&Furious tuner type car but something of a BMW M3 type competitor.

But as was said, it was 5k more than a GT and didn't have the "rumble of a good sounding american V8". Gas was getting cheap again and Ford corporate was no longer behind the program. I can't see a new SVO marketed like the original as it would overlap too much with the Boss 302. But a 300+ hp turbo4 entry level model would make a fun car.

SVTCobra1993

Established Member
The SVO was a great impovement overall considering what the Mustang offered at that time. First with 16" wheels, 4-wheel disks, port fuel injection, adjustible suspension, "Recaro style" seats, etc. It also got over 25mpg which was pretty good for the time. It was in no way a Fast&Furious tuner type car but something of a BMW M3 type competitor.

The BMW M3 wasn't around at the same time as the SVO. The SVO was discontinued in 1986, the E30 M3 only appearing the following year. It was, though, a higher-tech model akin to what some Japanese brands had at the time.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks. Maybe I should have used 944 instead of M3 as a reference. Simply enough, it was attempting to more directly complete against the European sports cars of the day. So, in 86 the M3 would have been a competitor. Today I don't see this as a good role since the Boss fits it nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread