ifs60g.jpg

A few minutes ago at work:

24d3884.jpg

Coiled03

Established Member

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
Not to derail the thread, but I've always been curious. What kind of classes do you have to take for a meteorology degree?

EDIT: Congrats, btw!
FSU's met program currently goes above and beyond industry standards for a bachelor's degree (that's why a masters takes 3yrs instead of 2yrs for anyone coming without a met bachelor's from fsu)

Standard AA/AS prereqs

Engineering level math up through calc 1-3 and ordinary differential equations, statistics for bachelor's. Upper level statistics and partial differential equations for masters

Calc based physics 1 and 2 with labs, chem 1 (and 2 iirc) with labs

Forecasting

Climatology ("the climate is your personality, the weather is your mood")

"Meteorological computations" - a programming course (Python)

"The Big 3" (6 really)
1 atmospheric physics 1 and 2 (oversimplification 1 - how to make a cloud, 2 - how atmosphere gets/spends energy and how we measure things in atmosphere with satellites)

2 Atmospheric dynamics 1 and 2 (derivation and manipulation of meteorological equations and how they define our "laws" of which there are tons and they change depending on what scale you're looking at). There's a million dollar reward for anyone that can solve the governing equation of meteorology... Win a million dollars with maths, No. 3: The Navier-Stokes equations | Matt Parker
Tank experiments were always interesting. This is one of my favorites

3 Synoptic Meteorology (large scale weather systems) 1 and 2. All course work for syn2 was based off charts and maps we had to write code for to produce and analyze (33% of met bachelor degs end up working in the IT field)

The required left wing indoctrination curriculum deemed necessary to earn a degree from a state institution

IMVHO, a bachelor's degree in meteorology is useless unless you: know someone in some 3 letter agency that can get you in noaa, Nws, etc..., join the military (shout out to weatherman), or want to be on tv.

The current job market in careers outside of those three things require years of experience or more degrees, so I'm going that route. The good thing is that there are tons research and teaching (maths, met undergrad courses) opportunities available that it's less of a financial burden than getting a bach deg. I was told, "if you're paying for a masters or phd in met, you're doing something very wrong." So I got that going for me...which is nice.

Master's is when you get in to the good stuff: smaller scale stuff (tstorm size), tropical cyclones, further programming, numerical weather prediction, etc...

TL;DR
tons of math, physics, and earth sciences. Computer programming has become more prevalent.

Sent from my SM-G930T using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

Smooth

Well Seasoned
Established Member
FSU's met program currently goes above and beyond industry standards for a bachelor's degree (that's why a masters takes 3yrs instead of 2yrs for anyone coming without a met bachelor's from fsu)

Standard AA/AS prereqs

Engineering level math up through calc 1-3 and ordinary differential equations, statistics for bachelor's. Upper level statistics and partial differential equations for masters

Forecasting

"The Big 3" (6 really)
1 atmospheric physics 1 and 2 (oversimplification 1 - how to make a cloud, 2 - how atmosphere gets/spends energy and how we measure things in atmosphere with satellites)

2 Atmospheric dynamics 1 and 2 (derivation and manipulation of meteorological equations and how they define our "laws" of which there are tons and they change depending on what scale you're looking at). There's a million dollar reward for anyone that can solve the governing equation of meteorology... Win a million dollars with maths, No. 3: The Navier-Stokes equations | Matt Parker

3 Synoptic Meteorology (large scale weather systems) 1 and 2. All course work for syn2 was based off charts and maps we had to write code for to produce and analyze (33% of met bachelor degs end up working in the IT field)

The required left wing indoctrination curriculum deemed necessary to earn a degree from a state institution

IMVHO, a bachelor's degree in meteorology is useless unless you: know someone in some 3 letter agency that can get you in noaa, Nws, etc..., join the military (shout out to weatherman), or want to be on tv.

The current job market in careers outside of those three things require years of experience or more degrees, so I'm going that route. The good thing is that there are tons research and teaching (maths, met undergrad courses) opportunities available that it's less of a financial burden than getting a bach deg. I was told, "if you're paying for a masters or phd in met, you're doing something very wrong." So I got that going for me...which is nice.

Master's is when you get in to the good stuff: smaller scale stuff (tstorm size), tropical cyclones, further programming, numerical weather prediction, etc...

TL;DR
tons of math, physics, and earth sciences. Computer programming has become more prevalent.

I just click Weather Forecast & Reports - Long Range & Local

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
FINALLY some nice weather today. Sun is shining and it's 72 degrees out. So nice.
(Sorry, no photos at the moment.)

Coiled03

Established Member

Standard AA/AS prereqs

Forecasting

"The Big 3" (6 really)

TL;DR

All that, and some other dude has the username WeatherMan? LOL.

That's awesome, man. Never would've guessed it would be so heavy on sciences, especially physics. Though, maybe things like E-fields, and B-fields are relevant. But, I don't know shit about it, and they obviously think that stuff is important. Thanks for the info, and good luck in your career. A weatherman from SVTP will surely be better than the rest.

Last edited:

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
All that, and some other dude has the username WeatherMan? LOL.

That's awesome, man. Never would've guessed it would be so heavy on sciences, especially physics. Though, maybe things like E-fields, and B-fields are relevant. But, I don't shit about it, and they obviously think that stuff is important. Thanks for the info, and good luck in your career. A weatherman from SVTP will surely be better than the rest.
He's a retired USAF meteorologist (WeatherMan)

Thanks for your kind words

Users who are viewing this thread