The Official MGW Shifter Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

svt99rag

Established Member
WOW........this is my exact situation.....I just installed mine on Christmas eve and have almost 200 miles on it.......the bestway I can describe the shifts as.....when you shift its almost like it goes click click(dosent make clicking sound just using it as a refrence)then its in gear.......not smooth like everyone describes.........we set the stops that it came with.......should I just remove the stops all together since the T56 has internal stops????
I was hoping that it just needed break in time!
Also a little back ground info........
we just installed a Spec3+ clutch kit,Fidenza flywheel a new factory clutch cable and 26 spline input shaft,LFP TOB retainer sleeve,new Ford TOB and the piolet bearing the Spec3+ kit came with.
I have a firewall adjuster but not sure what kind....as it was on the car when I purchased it.
So whats the deal with my new MGW shifter????:shrug:
mine was hard to get into gear when I was on it hard but its fine now, just needed to get broke in. I was kinda pissed at first but now I love it! just let it break in.

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
Just ordered mine, thanks for the great write up.

The one from MGW only comes with orange handle, is there a way to get the blue handle?

FVChopper

SVTP
Established Member
the mgw feels great. Just installed friday night. only thing is, it's too tight. Plus, when I try to put it in any gear, its like I hit a small little wall before it will go in. Not smoothly, like everyone says. I have the fiore quad and firewall adjuster. You think it just needs to be cranked down more at the firewall or what?
I have the exact same problem, but my MGW is the older looking one with the circular peice that keeps the handle on.....i bought my car with one about 1000 miles ago but i dont get on it often to really rip at the shifter but when i do i have your problem exactly, is it possible i need to get on it some more to break it in, or do i need to adjust something, and ive had some bad 2-3 expiriences with it, should i buy the newer MGW?

Last edited:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I am not sure what you mean by older MGW? Short of the handles being of different lengths over the years, the design is the same.

-Jeff

FVChopper

SVTP
Established Member
mgwshifter.jpg

thats what mine looks like instead of 2 bolts holding the handle down it has that circular metal peice

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
They need a while to break in, mine was behaving similar to your description when initally intalled. I can't see the bolts on the handle vs nut holding the handle down having any affect on the shifting, I'm sure they didn't change the actual shifter. I'd contact MGW though since I don't know for sure.

Josh

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
mgwshifter.jpg

thats what mine looks like instead of 2 bolts holding the handle down it has that circular metal peice

That is how all MGW shifters look and function. I think that you are talking about the shifter handle. It is not actually a shifter, but an improved handle that bolts to the stock shifter.

shandle.jpg

03cobramanIII

Banned
im considering getting one of these, when i do my clucth.im having problems with my tri axe , its only got 2000 miles on it , but alls been highway miles so not shifted much, it might not be broken in yet? its very hard the find 3rd. ?

svt99rag

Established Member
Having used the tri-axe, the MGW was a lot better IMO. There is a break in period with the MGW but worth the wait.

Taz

Established Member
That is how all MGW shifters look and function. I think that you are talking about the shifter handle. It is not actually a shifter, but an improved handle that bolts to the stock shifter.

I think he's saying that his MGW uses the threaded locking collar shown in the photo he posted. Mine sure doesn't have that.

The newer handles are split at the end that slips over the riser and use Allen head screws to pull the ends together and secure them to the riser. No threads at the top of the riser anymore, and no threaded locking collar.

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
im considering getting one of these, when i do my clucth.im having problems with my tri axe , its only got 2000 miles on it , but alls been highway miles so not shifted much, it might not be broken in yet? its very hard the find 3rd. ?

You might want to try a firewall adjuster and quadrant before you buy a new shifter. Although the MGW is a great shifter and it wouldn't hurt to add one of them as well :rockon:

TheDarkness03

MOAR DOTS!!!
Established Member
my friend and i just changed my trans fluid and installed my MGW (orange handle) today...wow, what a difference...i love it! :-D

NYstanger

Established Member
My buddy and I just installed 2 MGW shifters today. One in his 03 gt and one in my 03 cobra. Let me tell you these shifters are AWESOME!! It made a huge improvement on my buddies 3650 transmission. No more clanking for him. Shifts are so much crispier for me also and alot of the noise is gone. A+ mod in my book and can't even hear any road noise with cobra bob's gaskets and the mgw boot.

Red10thcv

Established Member
For Sale.

I know this is not the correct thread, But I have a MGW shifter + Both handles + Some extra springs + Adjusting tool for sale. Don't have the Boot.
Used about 500 miles, Friend went to an automatic. $165 shipped.

Fry's03SVT

The Demon of Venom
Established Member
Just got mine installed yesterday. Overall I like the shifter, however I hear alot of road noise/engine noise through the console now for some reason? I did install the device with CobraBob gaskets as well. Any ideas on what to checkout? :shrug: Thanks - Fry

SBSnake

Established Member
isnt there also an orange handle? or is that one just for the GT shifter? ive heard all three colors now and wasnt sure where the orange one fit into the mix

f2hatch

Established Member
i just put mine on order to replace my triax:banana:

2 ROWDY

Established Member
I missed 3rd the other day pretty bad... I'm going to order mine in a few days! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread