The Official MGW Shifter Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

boost4me

Banned
Just installed an MGW. Awesome shifter. My only complaint is the the shift boot seems a little compressed with the stock shift knob and it seems to move the plastic assembly around a tad.

SubZeroSoldier

Established Member
I will definitely second every positive comment made about this shifter, it's excellent no doubt.
I have two issues, one of which the above post mentions, which I think can be solved with a new shift boot.
The second is the while in third, the shifter rattles a very noticeable amount, but if I put just a bit of pressure on it, pushing it toward the dash, it stops. It does this in no other gear. I think it's related to the first issue, theres a bit too much shift boot pressing the shifter toward neutral while it's in third gear, but today I'll try adjusting the shifter a bit to take some pressure off it.

SubZeroSoldier

Established Member
I wonder if you could just trim the stock one. I'm headed to fiddle with it right now.
**UPDATE**
I removed that rubber grommet deal, and adjusted shifter by rotating it clockwise a bit.
Definitely improved the vibration, but it's still present. So I have to wonder if the vibration was there before and I just never noticed with the stock shifter. Someone with more experience than me please feel free to chime in.

Last edited:

Travis

Established Member
anyone know of a good write up for modifying the shift boot to expose tho color? i found PaladinMicro but i want to see if there is a more step by step one.

Thanks

My Cobra

Gigidy Gigidy Gigidy
Established Member
pics don't work. ordered mine tonight. Going to put it with the cobra bob shifter gasket.

bad93svt

Established Member
Has anyone gone from a triax to this shifter..?
U
Is it worth selling one to buy another..

vinny89gt

On The Reg
Established Member
Finally got around to installing my MGW.

Absolutely unbelievable difference. Seems like it would be impossible to miss 2-3 shift.

Only slight complaint I would have is, sometimes, I hit 5th instead of reverse, but that's negligable.

Well worth the money.

scog72

Established Member
Hey guys. Just ordered the mgw shifter, cobrabob gasket, and new knob for my cobra. Is the best transmission fluid for this the royal purple sync.? I need to get some ordered if that's the case. My car has 34000 miles on it and I guess I should go on and change this while I'm at it. Thanks!

scog72

Established Member
Ok. Just got my mgw installed with rp fluid and wow what a difference. Still a little tight but if it loosens up just a little with the break in it will be perfect. Installation was very easy with the write up from here. Thanks for the tips from the previous pages!

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
New MGW Shifter Bracket and Handle

This really works for me. I bought two handles and used the longer one. I can stretch out in a comfortable position and shift. No more leaning into 3rd, 5th or Reverse.

MGWShifterBracketandHandles001_zps10541923.gif

MGWShifterAssembly006_zps86cb90f3.gif

MGWShifterAssembly004_zpsc71fc2c3.gif

MGWShifterBracketandHandles002_zpsf52b09b5.gif

MGWShifterBracketandHandles004_zpsfd427723.gif

MGWShifterBracketandHandles005_zps0d257184.gif

MGWShifterBracketandHandles008_zpsf0e4eeb1.gif

X3FBrian

Established Member
I put dynomat around the opening and it is ultra quiet now. I'd say more quiet than stock. This is what I've done thus far to achieve good/smooth shifting in my car.

MGW Orange
Bob's gasket (Only was able to use the base obviously)
OEM new clutch cable
royal purple syncromax fluid

Also, since this shifter is really short I got annoyed with the leather bunching up awkwardly under the handle and I would always feel it with my hand. So what I did was take the leather boot completely off, and turn it inside out. Then from that position I worked it onto the shift handle and eventually it folded over on top of itself cutting out I'd say at least 2 or 3 inches of the top of the boot. So it doesn't look all smashed together and the bottom of my hand doesn't constantly touch the boot.

pj0s.jpg

ctgreddy

Established Member
I just got a new mgw in the mail today, installed tonight. Feels a little better than the pro 5.0 I replaced, but I haven't tried doing a quick shift at wot yet. Deff feels smoother, and everythings tighter/closer together it seems which is nice. But has a nice feel, I got the standard length handle they sell, seems perfect thus far. Also i have less noise from the shfiter, part of this is prolly due to the piece of foam they sent with it that tucks in nicely around it. MGW is top friggin notch in their quality and what you get with it. Awesome shifter! Here's a few pics I snabbed during install.

null_zps16267ac1.jpg

null_zps17f24d89.jpg

mhinchley

Established Member
I just got a new mgw in the mail today, installed tonight. Feels a little better than the pro 5.0 I replaced, but I haven't tried doing a quick shift at wot yet. Deff feels smoother, and everythings tighter/closer together it seems which is nice. But has a nice feel, I got the standard length handle they sell, seems perfect thus far. Also i have less noise from the shfiter, part of this is prolly due to the piece of foam they sent with it that tucks in nicely around it. MGW is top friggin notch in their quality and what you get with it. Awesome shifter! Here's a few pics I snabbed during install.

null_zps16267ac1.jpg

null_zps17f24d89.jpg
I just did the same.......replaced Pro5.0 with this one. The quality is very nice. I was impressed. I love the ability to adjust the handle toward both the driver seat and rearward independantly as well, so I can actually position my seat back where I want it without having to stretch to reach the shifter. I went with the standard length handle. Install was very straightforward and simple, however they should probably update the instructions. A few things did not make sense, cuz it was talking about older versions of the shifter. Easy to figure out though (for most anyway). :burnout:

I could have did the "5.0 reach fix", but I just bought the car & did not even realize the car had an aftermarket shifter until I removed the boot to install the MGW that I already had in my hand.

Update: after several hours of street driving and one trip down the 1/4..........love this shifter. Well worth the money!

Last edited:

BradB_04svt

Established Member
Im looking into purchasing the MGW short shifter some time next week. Im just not too sure on what handle to get yet. Any input ? The car is mainly street driven sometimes the occasional trip to the strip but that's about it.

ctgreddy

Established Member
Im looking into purchasing the MGW short shifter some time next week. Im just not too sure on what handle to get yet. Any input ? The car is mainly street driven sometimes the occasional trip to the strip but that's about it.

I like my standard handle. Seems like the perfect position to me. Altho this is all from memory as it's been almost 4 months since i've driven my car :bash:

Slw01Cobra

Warrenton Select
Established Member
I just ordered my MGW last night along with Cobrabob's gaskets. I got the race handle and also ordered the standard handle. :banana:

rattle_snake

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
The MGW I received included a rubber gasket similar to cobra bob's that can be used instead of RTV. Not sure if this is a new feature, but didn't see it in this thread yet.

Getting the trans into reverse is very difficult, I hope this improves as the shifter get some use. Quick access to 3rd is significantly improved as expected. I went with the STD handle, wouldn't want it any shorter.

Edit: Forgot to connect reverse lockout wiring, reverse is not a problem with this shifter

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread