The Official MGW Shifter Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
The following deals with the installation and opinions of the MGW Ltd. Short Throw Shifter.

This shifter can be purchased from www.MGWLTD.com.
Some instructions in the write-up are borrowed from MGW's Install sheet.

Tools needed for install:
Putty knife or razor blade
Socket wrench
8mm, 10mm, and 13mm sockets.
Socket extension. 6 inches advised
RTV Silicone gasket maker (supplied), or CobraBob Gasket Kit.
3/32 Allen wrench (provided)
3/16 Allen wrench (provided)

Helpful, but non-required tools.
Small Flash light
Flat blade screw driver
A friend.

This is a pic of the stock setup just for reference.
1628.jpg

The first step is to remove the shifter knob, and the console. Simply unscrew the knob. Then Grab the center console with both hands from the inside of the boot area and pull up and out. Be careful not to force it to avoid breaking the tabs on the console.
1625.jpg

Next unplug the lighter and set the center console out of the way.
1624.jpg

Next use a 10mm socket to remove the stock handle.
1614.jpg

Next use an 8mm Socket to unbolt the inner/top dust boot. Be careful not to rip.
1611.jpg

The next step is to remove the inner-most boot. This simply just pulls off. Be careful not to rip.
remove_lower_dust_boot.jpg

Now unbolt the stock POS, I mean shifter using a 13mm socket to remove the 4 bolts.
1615.jpg

Now by using a putty knife, or my method of a razorblade, remove any remaining gasket material being careful not to gouge the soft aluminum.
1609.jpg

The next step is to install the MGW shifter. MGW provides silicone gasket maker, but I used on of CobraBob's T-56 shifter gaskets. Set the shifter on the mount point and line up the holes and insert the NEW MGW bolts and lock washers. Tighten them down as you would the lug nuts on your wheels. Go back and forth from bolt to bolt screwing them down a little at a time. Also note that the MGW logo on the shifter is located closest to the dash so that you can read the lettering from your position. Snug the bolts down, but do no over tighten. You can now also install the lower-most boot. Just slip it over the shifter.
1626.jpg

Now reinstall the upper dust boot.
1630.jpg

NOTE: I did not use the provided stops.

Next install the handle of your choice. Then the console/boot and shift knob.
RED HANDLE
1610.jpg

BLUE HANDLE
1623.jpg

The following pics are of the Red handle in all locations. (1st-6th, and reverse)

1st
1616.jpg

2nd
1617.jpg

3rd
1618.jpg

4th
1620.jpg

5th
1621.jpg

6th
1622.jpg

Reverse
1628.jpg

My Opinion:

WOW!!! Let me first say that George and the rest of the crew from MGW Ltd could have put 1/2 the effort into this unit and it would still have been 5 times better than the next shifter. They did it right the first time out of the box.
Install was as easy as or easier than any other shifter I have ever installed. And quality was second-to-none. I installed the blue handle first, and the throws were very quick, and very precise. I thought this would be the handle that I would stick with for sure. It was a little bit of a reach to hit 5th and reverse (I am 6ft), but it was still very comfortable. Next I tried the red handle. Though the shifts were slightly longer, it was still much shorter than stock and just as precise as the blue handle. I also noted that every gear was very easy to reach. I decided to keep the red handle installed for daily driving and I will switch to the blue during my trips to the track.
Now for the comparison to other shifters I have used. I have driven one 03 cobra with a triax, and one (04) with a five-oh shifter. I felt that the shifts were a little more deliberate with the MGW shifter (a good thing). I like the 5.0 shifter better than the triax, and the MGW better than the 5.0. The main thing that won me over was the comfort level of the shifter. With the red handle is seemed that it was located in just the right spot and the ability to adjust the angle of the handle was great thinking on MGW's part. I have mine angled at about 6:30. Needless to say, this is the last shifter I will install in my 04 cobra, and now I need to save up and buy a composite 1-6 shift knob off of MGW as well as a few other items to complete my interior upgrades. If anyone has any questions or comments please feel free to ask.

Thanks,

Jeff Hoops

And special thanks to MGW Ltd., and SID297.

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

great write-up. I would only suggest changing some of the text colors, hurts the eyes and hard to read(damn that sounds bad, I guess you do start getting old at 30 :( ). Other than that its great.

04cobratorchred

I Love Being Blown
Established Member
Hissman that was one hell of a write up very nice job. Also i didn't put that lower most boot on my MGW will i be ok. I never took it off my stock shifter.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
04cobratorchred said:
Hissman that was one hell of a write up very nice job. Also i didn't put that lower most boot on my MGW will i be ok. I never took it off my stock shifter.

You should be fine. I would have just made it a bit quieter. And just for note, the pic I took showing the installation of the lower dust boot does not have it completely installed. I just had it setting on the shifter base and I had not yet pulled it around the base.

Last edited:

eiblish

Established Member
:coolman: I am thinking of doing this mod, and your post makes it look much easier than I expected. Very helpful, THANKS!

TXRDRNR

Never follow.
Established Member
Great write up! Thanks, I'm going to save this so when I am ready to change out I can reference back to this.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
No problem, and thanks for the compliments. If anyone has any other questions, or if I missed something please let me know.

Jeff

Crowley

Okey doke
Established Member
Very nice write up ... just did this myself and couldn't agree more .. it is a top notch part!!

Crowley

RJCobra

Established Member
"...felt that the shifts were a little more deliberate with the MGW shifter..."

Could you explain this some more? Thanks

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Your's is great Bob. Sorry to step on your toes. LOL. Mine was actually done on behalf of MGW Ltd.

Jeff

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
RJCobra said:
"...felt that the shifts were a little more deliberate with the MGW shifter..."

Could you explain this some more? Thanks

It went into gear easier, and there was no worry about missing a shift. ;-)

Jpjr

Established Member
a thought, you should move this to the how-to thread after everyone has seen it so that it always stays up front. great write-up.

RJCobra

Established Member
So far I've only seen one negative review on the new shifter. Does anyone have any experience going from the Pro-5.0 with MGW handle to this shifter?

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I think that in conjunction with the CobraBob shifter gasket it is quieter.

saleen09

Slow A$$ Kenne Bell Cobra
Established Member
I would also like to know how much noise this shifter add compared to a stock shifter.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread