The Mach Stomps Another Z28!!!

04OrangeMach1

Established Member
Ok the only mod i have is knn air filter and flowmaster muflers!!! I know not much! It takes money something I dont have alot of right now! but i wouldnt lie about a freakn race I wouldnt care if you knew I lost I would admit It! But thanx all you guyz who beleve me and thanx for the suport! And screw all you guyz who like to put people down!

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
04OrangeMach1 said:
Ok the only mod i have is knn air filter and flowmaster muflers!!! I know not much! It takes money something I dont have alot of right now! but i wouldnt lie about a freakn race I wouldnt care if you knew I lost I would admit It! But thanx all you guyz who beleve me and thanx for the suport! And screw all you guyz who like to put people down!

Dude most of us believe your story but next time post up some details to back up your claim! Good kill. :beer:

JDsfastGN

Established Member
lol this is funny to watch an argument develope over a poster with 6 post and a sentence long kill story that has no details or depth. I know i certainly don't read the kill section to not actually read a story. Anyways has anybody really ?ed whether a mach can kill a Z28,? Both are low 13s and Machs seem easier to drive out of the hole. ?s were brought up because the post was probably made to stir the pot a bit... looks like it worked

C5_z51_6spd

Banned
ScottsMach03 said:
Waits patiently for all the Chevy warriors to chime in......

im a chevy warrior and i must say good kill...machs and z28s are so evenly matched that it comes down the driver. the guy in the z28 probably didn't have any mufflers and which is why it was so loud and by doing that he probably gained a whoop tee doo 5-7rwhp. mach is the driver and the win is his...... again, GOOD KILL!

Fnet=ma

Established Member
dan03mach said:
:-D Nice kill, I beat a procharged, bolt on ls1 ws6, so anything is possible.

What numbers were you both putting down? Your mods?

Machs are sick cars

C5_z51_6spd

Banned
04OrangeMach1 said:
Ok I raced A really loud z28 the other day and the mach dominated about 2 cars by the end of second!

i just reread it and realized, "2 cars by second", that's shady, he didn't even let the z28 get into infamous "3rd" gear, which leaves me to question:
What happened after 2ND gear?

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
I just don't see a Mach 1 coming that close to an LS1. The way I see it, the Mach is about the same weight as the Terminator but is down about 70hp. If a stock Terminator traps 107-111mph, how can the Mach be similiar? I just don't get it.
The Mach traps 104 - 106 stock.
Mach weighs 200 (300 for vert) lbs less than the Cobra, so yes, it is lighter. The Mach also has a solid rear axle which is more conducive to straight line acceleration, especially from a dig, that is opposed to the Cobra's IRS. The Mach has an aluminum block, i.e. a lighter front end which contributes to faster weight transfer and thus better acceleration from a dig.
The Mach is also more agressively geared through 1st and 2nd gear, having a 3.38 vs a 2.66, and a 2.0 vs a 1.78... thats a pretty steep difference.
I have run a Cobra through 1st 2nd and 3rd gear and only started to lose ground at roughly 70mph... which is roughly 3rd gear. Then I got freight trained and shut it down.
Also, as much as some people disagree, I think the Mach benefits from the shaker at speeds, once the air starts moving it creates alot of fresh cool air that isn't exactly measured on a dyno. I'm pretty confident is doesnt ram in stock form, but I do think it has a positive effect.
I know the 0-60 is rated as being faster on the Cobra, maybe its because the Mach had much worse tires stock, maybe its politics, maybe its drivers. I went from a dig 3 times with one guy and once with a different guy.
The Mach was not bone stock, I had better tires and I think a K&N at the time... maybe cat-back.
That said, to compare the two, the Cobra is certianly more powerful, and an excellent car, but in all honestly, credit is due, the Mach digs like a bandit.
I'm not going to get into an arguement on this, I'm just stating my personal opinions and experiences, and backing them up.

About the LS1, I've never raced one myself... oddly.
I have always liked them though, and always give them a rev, wave or thumbs up.
Anyway, I checked out a dyno comparison of two manual cars a 2001 Z28 and a 2003 Mach, took a look at weight which is nearly identical, and compared gear ratios for both the tranny(didn't realize the Camaro tranny gears were so weak) and final drive.. (did my figuring for a 3.42 on Camaro btw)
After gearing, the LS1 seems to put down more power/torque through the lower rpms, but once the rpms increase, the Mach seems to start pulling ahead. At around 4000 rpms and onward the Mach seems to hold an advantage that increases with more rpms.
That said, I think the results could vary down low (1st and 2nd). In two near stock cars, the Mach would likely pull the Camaro IF it could apply its power and keep in the rpm range. If not, if it cant hold traction, its a drivers race through 1st and 2nd, or possibly a nod to the LS1 if the Mach gets stuck outside it powerband and waits for power to catch up.
In other words, if both cars were running skaterbacks, I see the Mach getting pulled, with both cars on drag radials or with a very competant driver who is knows how to slip the clutch, I think the Mach would take the LS1 till 3rd gear.
As it gets up into higher speeds of 3rd and 4th, the Mach loses its gearing advantage, and the Camaro is more aerodynamic, the Mach does run well at high rpms which is where these races take place... but I just don't think its enough to save it. I see the Mach getting walked the more speeds progress.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
And yes, I know that is magazine racing, but it is also heavily based on real dyno numbers, tranny/final drive ratios, power bands, and weight... and how it all relates.
Little consideration is given to how well either car hooks up, or true aerodynamics, so in a real world situation, the results could cary a bit... but I'de bet my money on my assumptions.

C5_z51_6spd

Banned
Iamchris said:
The Mach traps 104 - 106 stock.
Mach weighs 200 (300 for vert) lbs less than the Cobra, so yes, it is lighter. The Mach also has a solid rear axle which is more conducive to straight line acceleration, especially from a dig, that is opposed to the Cobra's IRS. The Mach has an aluminum block, i.e. a lighter front end which contributes to faster weight transfer and thus better acceleration from a dig.
The Mach is also more agressively geared through 1st and 2nd gear, having a 3.38 vs a 2.66, and a 2.0 vs a 1.78... thats a pretty steep difference.
I have run a Cobra through 1st 2nd and 3rd gear and only started to lose ground at roughly 70mph... which is roughly 3rd gear. Then I got freight trained and shut it down.
Also, as much as some people disagree, I think the Mach benefits from the shaker at speeds, once the air starts moving it creates alot of fresh cool air that isn't exactly measured on a dyno. I'm pretty confident is doesnt ram in stock form, but I do think it has a positive effect.
I know the 0-60 is rated as being faster on the Cobra, maybe its because the Mach had much worse tires stock, maybe its politics, maybe its drivers. I went from a dig 3 times with one guy and once with a different guy.
The Mach was not bone stock, I had better tires and I think a K&N at the time... maybe cat-back.
That said, to compare the two, the Cobra is certianly more powerful, and an excellent car, but in all honestly, credit is due, the Mach digs like a bandit.
I'm not going to get into an arguement on this, I'm just stating my personal opinions and experiences, and backing them up.

About the LS1, I've never raced one myself... oddly.
I have always liked them though, and always give them a rev, wave or thumbs up.
Anyway, I checked out a dyno comparison of two manual cars a 2001 Z28 and a 2003 Mach, took a look at weight which is nearly identical, and compared gear ratios for both the tranny(didn't realize the Camaro tranny gears were so weak) and final drive.. (did my figuring for a 3.42 on Camaro btw)
After gearing, the LS1 seems to put down more power/torque through the lower rpms, but once the rpms increase, the Mach seems to start pulling ahead. At around 4000 rpms and onward the Mach seems to hold an advantage that increases with more rpms.
That said, I think the results could vary down low (1st and 2nd). In two near stock cars, the Mach would likely pull the Camaro IF it could apply its power and keep in the rpm range. If not, if it cant hold traction, its a drivers race through 1st and 2nd, or possibly a nod to the LS1 if the Mach gets stuck outside it powerband and waits for power to catch up.
In other words, if both cars were running skaterbacks, I see the Mach getting pulled, with both cars on drag radials or with a very competant driver who is knows how to slip the clutch, I think the Mach would take the LS1 till 3rd gear.
As it gets up into higher speeds of 3rd and 4th, the Mach loses its gearing advantage, and the Camaro is more aerodynamic, the Mach does run well at high rpms which is where these races take place... but I just don't think its enough to save it. I see the Mach getting walked the more speeds progress.

both are midranged cars, but that mach has better gearing, however due to the LS1 torque, the LS1 gets into powerband quicker and its torque curve is broader than the machs...Also the LS1 even breathes better than Mach which is why the LS1 would start to pull away from the Mach on the big end.

Steve Gunn

Established Member
Iamchris said:
I think the Mach would take the LS1 till 3rd gear.
Yup, top of 3rd or 4rth...If an LS1 does catch a Mach1, it's pretty much right at the end of the 1/4. The Mach is quicker, LS1 faster.

Last edited:

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
TR03Mach1 said:
Yeah dude, a Mach 1 has an all aluminum engine vs the Cobra's iron block, Mach 1 has a straight axle vs the Cobra's IRS, just between those two little items, the Mach 1 is a couple hundred pounds lighter.
...plus the Eaton, intercooler, heat exchanger/reservoir and additional coolant.

P.S. Nice kill.

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
I watched a friend run a 12.8 in his Mach with CAI, exhaust, tune & DR's. He did tear down his brand new engine (he's an aircraft engine mechanic) and rebuild with forged internals, but that doesn't help it go any faster.

Users who are viewing this thread